**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Yes it should have been the ravens 2nd. There’s no way he gets value back from that trade, claypool will be fine but not 1st round fine.

Joey Porter would most likely be a bear too. **
I just don't think it should have happened at all and I'm still at a loss for why it did. Nothing about it makes sense.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You accuse me of using cherry picked data yet you're the one using two examples that are both over a decade old of down years for Hall of Famers to say that Chase Claypool is what...Randy Moss?

Chase Claypool has never finished in the top thirty of receiving yards at the end of a season. Not once. Last year he barely squeezed into the top hundred. There is nothing cherry picked about my assertion that Claypool was at his best a good-not-great player, and that his best years are probably behind him. You disagree because in 1996 Marshall Faulk had a "down" year, which was still over a thousand scrimmage yards, and hilariously only thirty fewer receiving yards than Claypool's third season despite playing in the nineties and playing runningback.
You accuse me of using cherry picked data yet you're the one using two examples that are both over a decade old of down years for Hall of Famers to say that Chase Claypool is what...Randy Moss?

Chase Claypool has never finished in the top thirty of receiving yards at the end of a season. Not once. Last year he barely squeezed into the top hundred. There is nothing cherry picked about my assertion that Claypool was at his best a good-not-great player, and that his best years are probably behind him. You disagree because in 1996 Marshall Faulk had a "down" year, which was still over a thousand scrimmage yards, and hilariously only thirty fewer receiving yards than Claypool's third season despite playing in the nineties and playing runningback.
You’d have to look at his stats when the trade was made dipshit. Not after the season when he got injured. Faulk wasn’t a HOF’er after that season so I’m not sure what your point is. Even @remydat can run you through the production Claypool had prior to this season.

Serious question—are the r3tard formerly known as “Mongo76”? Did you forget how to sign back into your account so you made an entirely new account? That poster had some serious mental issues like yourself and also had an affinity for Montana & Kentucky. Thus “Montucky.”

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yes it should have been the ravens 2nd. There’s no way he gets value back from that trade, claypool will be fine but not 1st round fine.

Joey Porter would most likely be a bear too. **
I’m a ND fan and want nothing to do with Claypool. Been that way even before he entered the league.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
Hello Bears fans, in his third year (presumably his prime) Chase Claypool ranked ninety-sixth in the NFL in receiving yards. The dude's career is circling the drain. Would you say every single receiver taken after the first round this year will be worse than Olamide Zaccheaus, Josh Reynolds and Greg Dortch? Because that's Claypool's company (honestly an optimistic appraisal).
You're an idiot. It is intellectually dishonest to use last year as a reference for a player who was hurt and traded to a new team midseason. Claypools 3-year per season average was 56 receptions for 728 yards. He was on that pace in Pittsburgh prior to the trade. That average would have landed him at #36 for wide receiver yardage in 2022 just behind Tyler Boyd. I would expect Claypool to play to his averages next year which is exactly what you would expect from your #2 or #3 receiver. Personally, I don't give a shit about Olamide Zaccheaus, Josh Reynolds, or Greg Dortch. I'm only interested in what Claypool does next year, and yes, I do believe he will have a better year than most if not all the receivers taken after the 1st round this past draft.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Using that logic, we traded Jalen Carter for Darnell Wright and a 4th.

In terms of dumbest shit takes, this may be the one. My bud at work, who is the other Bears fan, was upset they didn’t draft Carter. I was like, why?!?!

Afterwards, he discussed why we should sign Ezekiel Elliot. So, yeah. Fuck that shoulda drafted Carter noise.

The Carter debate all hinges on how you perceive the risk of his character issues present. That's it. There is really nothing more to say.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The Carter debate all hinges on how you perceive the risk of his character issues present. That's it. There is really nothing more to say.
We also don’t even know if ownership nixed the idea of drafting him. Could be that Poles wanted to but he had to answer to his bosses

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I like poles and the way he’s building this team but let’s not pretend his trades have been mostly him getting it in the booty hole.

The trade with the panthers was spot on the rest of the trades thus far have been him getting fleeced. Not terribly fleeced like pace trading up for gems like Anthony Miller and trevis Gipson, but the value is less than. Hopefully he’ll learn as he grows in this role.
not sure which trades you are talking about? I'll give you Claypool, which could be true, but I think that is unclear until seeing his play next season.

1 to 9 favored by Bears 350 pts ( a late 2nd) if you value DJ as middle 1st.
9 to 10 was -20 pts but was a free 4th rd pick if that is all that was offered.
61,136 for 56 - Poles +10pts
103 for 115,165 even value
Quinn for a 4th was a huge win- A fourth for a guy that went on to have 2 tackles in 6 games had 4 DNP's and 1 inactive and is now a FA
R Smith for a 2nd and 5th another huge win- Dump a disgruntled player get a better scheme fit for less money plus add 2 draft picks.
What am I missing?

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
not sure which trades you are talking about? I'll give you Claypool, which could be true, but I think that is unclear until seeing his play next season.

1 to 9 favored by Bears 350 pts ( a late 2nd) if you value DJ as middle 1st.
9 to 10 was -20 pts but was a free 4th rd pick if that is all that was offered.
61,136 for 56 - Poles +10pts
103 for 115,165 even value
Quinn for a 4th was a huge win- A fourth for a guy that went on to have 2 tackles in 6 games had 4 DNP's and 1 inactive and is now a FA
R Smith for a 2nd and 5th another huge win- Dump a disgruntled player get a better scheme fit for less money plus add 2 draft picks.
What am I missing?
Yeah I’m just not a fan of the Claypool trade and he probably gave up a round too much. But he definitely hasn’t been fleeced in any other trade. Came out ahead in the Quinn/Smith trades and also got a free 4th with no risk from the Eagles. I guess one could say he should have moved Quinn in the off-season prior but the best offer he got was a 4th then too.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I just don't think it should have happened at all and I'm still at a loss for why it did. Nothing about it makes sense.
You know why. You just don't like the trade which is fine.

But to rehash. Poles traded for Claypool because he wanted to give Justin Fields a legitimate weapon in the receiving game during last season and one he could grow with after a full offseason together. This was after Fields led teams on would-be game tying/winning drives but had a game ending fumble by one receiver and another fail to clean catch a game-winning TD, and while showing he could put up 30ppg without him. They gave up a 2nd for him because that was the going rate. They had to give up their 2nd because the Packers offered a 2nd, and their 2nd was going to be higher than Baltimore's 2nd.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I would've liked to have drafted Carter, but Bears know a hell of a lot more than we do about him. It was clear he was never on their draft board and if Bears squeezed draft comp out of a team to take the guy they were taking anyway...good.

What I haven't heard from Bears fans is that it isn't like the Bears were picking 2 or 3 and he went 4 or 5. Plenty of other teams from 5-9 could've taken Carter and passed. Hell Seahawks and Lions essentially had free picks at 5 & 6 (with their original 1st Rounders coming late in the 1st) to take him, but they passed. Hawks AND Lions passing on Carter prior to Bears should've told us all we needed to know.
Yes that told the entire story when Lions and Seahawks passed, they wanted Wright all along and got a draft pick from Eagles probably by telling them someone was ready to move up, smart move.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The Bears would rather have Claypool over Porter Jr. is what I said. Maybe they would have rather had the 32nd pick instead of Claypool, especially after Claypool didn't work out on the field. But, in general, I think they'd rather have a WR over a CB that may not fit their system.

Now, assuming the Bears didn't have Claypool, you could probably assume that they go WR much earlier than they did in this draft. At 32, you're either reaching for Mingo like Carolina or reaching for Jayden Reed like GB did. But literally every other WR they either passed up or wasn't in reach (unless they passed up RT).

Basically, my point is....it's time to give it up about the Claypool trade. There's a lot of moving parts here. Claypool not performing helped the Bears get #1. It's not just about getting 1 player for 1 pick. Sure the Bears lost the opportunity to move up or down from 32 and more or higher picks to get a WR. But Poles figured it was worth the opportunity to get his QB with a talented WR for a year and a half, especially when you had a FA class that was pathetic, a draft where WR1 went 20th, and a trade market that saw none of the other rumored targets (Jeudy, Higgins, Aiyuk) move anywhere until the Bears got the #1 pick