**OFFICAIL** Regular Season News & Scheisse - FTO : THREAD DERAILING PROHIBITED***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No QB is going to make the right read and throw every time but I would say Fields still hesitates more than is normal for a good to great QB. It is one of those things that is is probably going to take the bye week and the offseason to really work on.
Why I'd like to now see them force it and tell him he needs to throw it to somebody, open or not, by the count of 3 on a lot of his called pass plays. He needs to understand placement and NFL open. It's not like he's not seeing stuff but he's being to cautious pulling the trigger. He needs to learn how to be cautious with placement and timing instead. Team is out of the playoffs and needs to develop their players for next year. you can do that and still do HITS.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why I'd like to now see them force it and tell him he needs to throw it to somebody, open or not, by the count of 3 on a lot of his called pass plays. He needs to understand placement and NFL open. It's not like he's not seeing stuff but he's being to cautious pulling the trigger. He needs to learn how to be cautious with placement and timing instead. Team is out of the playoffs and needs to develop their players for next year. you can do that and still do HITS.

Think that is easier said than done. At the end of the day it has to be a natural progression IMO. When you try and force the issue that is how he ends up seeming to be too robotic because he is following a script telling him to get rid of the ball by the count of 3 vs getting rid of the ball because he has made the right decision.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is time to phase ESB and Pettis out of the O and give Claypool, Pringle and VJJ more opps. VJJ should also be taking some reps from Ebner as he really should be in a CP role. ESB should really only be in on run downs and really is a good enough blocker where I would give some of Wesco and Griffin's reps to him. Next year I would sign Barkley if he can be had for 13-15 million or so over 3-4 years.
Agree but not sure about Claypool. Dude lines up wrong all the time. Seems like Fields is always yelling at him to move his ass where he supposed to be. I'm kinda thinking Bears might not get all that much out of him until next year.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Well, just that being careful with spending isn't just about extending guys on the team, but also bringing in people through FA.

So spending a lot on a RB might not matter as far as extensions, but it could matter as far as being able to afford multiple other players at a shitton of positions of need
I get that, but good teams don't worry about that. They draft their own good players and use FAs to supplement, not build the team. If Poles plays this offseason right, between free agency and the draft he should have his 3T, LB or 2, RT, C/G, and depth at DE and WR at least. They look to already be set at 1 CB position, nickel, safety, LT, RG, have a couple rotational DEs, a pair of solid WRs, TE and a QB. They shouldn't need to hit free agency too hard going forward. Most of those guys will be under contract thru 2024. So, they can afford to spend big on RB. Now all these guys won't work out, but you have subsequent drafts and late picks/lottery tickets that sometimes pan out to fill a hole (Sanborn).

Like everyone talks about Elliott's contract preventing the Cowboys from doing all this stuff, but the only thing it did was cause them to lose Amari Cooper, who they are doing just fine without. They don't need to hit free agency hard because they keep their own guys that matter and draft well. And they perennially are in the playoffs, when Dak is healthy.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Can you blame him though? How many drops or deflections do the WRs have?

And every team that faces the Bears has wide open WRs all over the field. They do exist, they just don't play for the Bears.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sentimentally I hope Monty ends up re-signed with a team friendly contract after testing the market. He's a second/third effort guy who always seems to get that extra yard to move the chains while Ebner goes down on first contact. Seems like a leader to the younger guys, at least by example (no idea if he's vocal in the locker room).

I was concerned Herbert would be a liability in terms of picking up blitzers on passing downs but I haven't seen anything alarming in that regard.

I got sentimental attachment to Mont too. Hopefully he wants to be here.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't have access to the all 22 but I'd actually really love to see these examples of these open receivers. Seems like whenever we get an in-game replay, no one ever looks open. It always looks like they're covered close enough that if the ball gets thrown, it's getting picked. So I'm genuinely curious how often it actually happens and more importantly, who is actually getting open?
I've seen a fair number of intermediate hooks that are open for a sec at the top of the route, but Fields would have to throw well before the break. Thats something he has to improve at imo

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Agree but not sure about Claypool. Dude lines up wrong all the time. Seems like Fields is always yelling at him to move his ass where he supposed to be. I'm kinda thinking Bears might not get all that much out of him until next year.

In the same way Fields needs to work out his issues because he is the future, the same applies to Claypool amd VJJ. We arent trying to win so let them work out their issues now in live game action.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
In the same way Fields needs to work out his issues because he is the future, the same applies to Claypool amd VJJ. We arent trying to win so let them work out their issues now in live game action.
VJJ issue is he's 25 and hasn't learned how to run routes or catch a ball. Not realistic to think those are just going to all of a sudden happen. He ran a wheel route out of bounds in training camp. The guy doesn't understand basic fundamentals

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Can you blame him though? How many drops or deflections do the WRs have?

You throw the ball. If the WR fucks up then so be it. That is better than holding the ball and accumulating unnecessary hits.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This post is spot on and what I was about to see. The reality is Fields still has the highest time to throw and the 2nd highest time to attempt a pass. He is holding onto the ball too long and missing guys who are open. When you watch the All 22 you can see this clearly. That doesn't mean the OL and WRs don't need to improve but so does Fields.

The good news is that he is putting up 30 pts a game despite not being a refined passer right now so if he does improve that facet of the game then fuck top 10, he can be a top 5 QB. Teams can spy him and assign 2 guys to shadow him on option runs because his passing is still inconsistent. If he starts punishing them for doing so then defenses will be fucked.

What do you know about how they get those time to throw and time to attempt stats? Cause seems like they always have mobile QBs rated high. I've always wondered if they count time running around, evading pass rush

Most of the time when I hear people bring up these stats to defend an OL, they don't seem to match what I see during games. Has always seemed like there is a disconnect there somehow

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fields is looking at Mooney over the middle. The LBs bite on the play fake so if he actually throws with anticipation, he can fit it between the two retreating LBs. If you freeze at 1:03, one of the retreating LBs turns his head and Mooney is already getting ready to stop and turn so really there is no way that guy can make a play on the ball so all Fields has to do is beat the other guy. Outside guy is also open but would throw to Mooney there. That is why you have play action to draw the LBs in.

Also has has the outside hook if he wants it. But again, has to throw early, before the break

But the WR has leverage for that route the whole way into the break

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
VJJ issue is he's 25 and hasn't learned how to run routes or catch a ball. Not realistic to think those are just going to all of a sudden happen. He ran a wheel route out of bounds in training camp. The guy doesn't understand basic fundamentals

Patterson is 31 and still has those same issues. He is a YAC guy not a guy you want running complex routes or relying on to have great hands. So you come to terms with who he is and deploy in a way to get value. Took teams too long to figure that out with CP. Hopefully Getsy is smarter.

You should also note CP is an all time great KR but doesnt actually return punts because he doesnt have the hands for it. Again same is true of VJJ. He is a KR and was miscast as a PR. He is a RB/WR hybrid that should he given quick routes and and runs. This is painfully obvious. No idea why you wasting time with Ebner when VJj can take those carries.

We just played the Falcons. I really hope Getsy took note of how the Falcons use CP.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Patterson is 31 and still has those same issues. He is a YAC guy not a guy you want running complex routes or relying on to have great hands. So you come to terms with who he is and deploy in a way to get value. Took teams too long to figure that out with CP. Hopefully Getsy is smarter.

You should also note CP is an all time great KR but doesnt actually return punts because he doesnt have the hands for it. Again same is true of VJJ. He is a KR and was miscast as a PR. He is a RB/WR hybrid that should he given quick routes and and runs. This is painfully obvious. No idea why you wasting time with Ebner when VJj can take those carries.

We just played the Falcons. I really hope Getsy took note of how the Falcons use CP.
I agree Jones should be turned into an rb. He's not a wr

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I get that, but good teams don't worry about that. They draft their own good players and use FAs to supplement, not build the team. If Poles plays this offseason right, between free agency and the draft he should have his 3T, LB or 2, RT, C/G, and depth at DE and WR at least. They look to already be set at 1 CB position, nickel, safety, LT, RG, have a couple rotational DEs, a pair of solid WRs, TE and a QB. They shouldn't need to hit free agency too hard going forward. Most of those guys will be under contract thru 2024. So, they can afford to spend big on RB. Now all these guys won't work out, but you have subsequent drafts and late picks/lottery tickets that sometimes pan out to fill a hole (Sanborn).

Like everyone talks about Elliott's contract preventing the Cowboys from doing all this stuff, but the only thing it did was cause them to lose Amari Cooper, who they are doing just fine without. They don't need to hit free agency hard because they keep their own guys that matter and draft well. And they perennially are in the playoffs, when Dak is healthy.

I feel ya man, I guess I just think there are other positions I'd rather spend big on. Just not a fan of RBs taking up cap any more. S

Status
Not open for further replies.