Official 2023 Training Camp thread

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
All true but he's shown he can play while having the same lazy rep in Tenn. He was not an unknown quantity and 2 year rental.
So then everything they have said over the last 1.5 years about culture, bringing in guys that fit the culture, blah blah, is that all nonsense bullshit? We are going to let one mediocre player his first year with the team sit out because he feels like it? The guy ain’t a pro bowler or an all pro. He must be injured.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So then everything they have said over the last 1.5 years about culture, bringing in guys that fit the culture, blah blah, is that all nonsense bullshit? We are going to let one mediocre player his first year with the team sit out because he feels like it? The guy ain’t a pro bowler or an all pro. He must be injured.
Yeah. I'm not buying into the narrative that this is a work ethic issue.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Yeah. I'm not buying into the narrative that this is a work ethic issue.
I’m curious why this isn’t brought up much. I realize they are being cautious with a lot of players and I can get behind that. I’d hope some of the reporters would press a little to find out what’s going on because at this point it is at least a minor concern that one of your top FA signings hasn’t been participating.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's called an exception to save your QB. He probably has something minor another player would practice with. Maybe the coaches know what they have and want to see the backups.

Yes it's all bullshit because 1 minor exception proves the rule.:rolleyes:
I expect he'll practice over the last week or 2 of camp and be ready for game day. In the meantime his backups could really use the reps/evaluation.

It's extremely rare to not have OL go down during the season. Nice to know what you have behind them.

Last edited:

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
In some respects the INT count in training camp is understandable. Fields or any, especially young, qb's have to figure out their limitations or get re acquainted with them. Pushing the envelope, can I fit it in that tight window has to be ingrained. The regular season isn't the time to learn that.

So to some extent I can understand it.
Good point if that's what the intention was ahead of time, hope it was that.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
The majority of his interceptions in camp have been on contested tight window catches....which is something you want to see(not interceptions, but tight throws). He barely threw any tight window throws last year, probably because of a lack of trust in his receivers.

He won't ever be a great NFL passer if he doesnt have the confidence to throw into tight windows.

The last two, as I only expect the starters to play a drive or two in a vanilla O.

Seeing Roschon and the rookie corners is what I really want to see. That and Velus, but I already know he sucks.
I hope you regret the Velus sucks comment.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Journalism is a field for which one can earn a college degree.

Are you asking seriously?

Simply owning a keyboard does not make one a journalist any more than owning a knife makes one a surgeon.

Clearly the lines are blurred in the age since the Fairness Doctrine was abolished, but true journalists are taught ethics and fairness in reporting.

Opinion columnists may be journalists but when writing an opinion piece, at least in the past, it was identified as such.
You basically said what i said. Sure, you can go to school for learning how to "journal" but you don't have to. Some people who went to school to learn how to "journal" are reliable and ethical, some aren't. Some people who didn't go to school to learn how "journal" are reliable and ethical and some aren't.

But no reputable publication would publish the Chicken Little headlines we get for thread titles from the wannabe journalists here.

Hacks with a PC are not the same thing.
“Made you click!” Is not journalism.
Yea. I would liken it to the publications that use the "BOMBSHELL: " preface in their headlines. Not "journalism" in the truest most wholesome spirit of the word, but "journalism" nonetheless. Just semantics, i get what you're saying.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You basically said what i said. Sure, you can go to school for learning how to "journal" but you don't have to. Some people who went to school to learn how to "journal" are reliable and ethical, some aren't. Some people who didn't go to school to learn how "journal" are reliable and ethical and some aren't.

Yea. I would liken it to the publications that use the "BOMBSHELL: " preface in their headlines. Not "journalism" in the truest most wholesome spirit of the word, but "journalism" nonetheless. Just semantics, i get what you're saying.

I would debate whether there are actual reputable publications.

Journalism has always had a sketchy past even going back in history. One can look at the era of "Yellow Journalism" where every paper was basically the national inquirer, and even after that era, you maybe had a period of reliable journalism which journalists themselves hold up as the gold standard, the old "if your mother tells you she loves you, get a second source" or however the old saying goes.

But what happened over the past 20-30 years is a post-modernist movement in journalism where journalists are being taught there is no objective "truth" but only personal "truth", and one must report on their personal truths - meaning tossing objectivity, the very basis of true journalism, out the window. They call it "accountability journalism" because rather than reporting on what is happening, the mentality has shifted into having journalists acting as watchdogs, but you never know for whom, and facts don't matter.

Tying that movement back in to sports, it all ends up being about the almighty dollar, and that's why you see local media always picking on the Bears quarterback, always saying the same things about the football teams, even if at times it is tone deaf - because it gets clicks. It gets reactions.

One of the people on the SCORE who will on occasion actually let some of the "how the meat gets made" secrets out is Danny Parkins, who himself has admitted on air he struggles with the balance between putting out factual info and the click-baity nature of the business, knowing that the score wants their hosts to say things that get a reaction from the audience because it helps their numbers (he said that on air about a year and a half ago).

That's why it cracks me up when people want to defend journalism in general - there have been amazing independent journalists over the years, but it has a very slimy history and track record... there's a reason why teams try to keep the locker room stuff away from the journos, and its not always because the team is doing something nefarious. They just know how dishonest 99% of journalists are, and what they are actually chasing. You can thank that for the boring, stock answers we always get from players and coaches as well...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Good point if that's what the intention was ahead of time, hope it was that.
You also gotta know if you can trust your WR to defend when you have to try and make a play. Not like he'll try and throw to a defender etc but nobody's perfect and the time to work on matchups and 1 on 1s is camp. Obviously some will just be bad throws, reads or WR not in position but this is when to work that out.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:

Journalism has always had a sketchy past even going back in history. One can look at the era of "Yellow Journalism" where every paper was basically the national inquirer, and even after that era, you maybe had a period of reliable journalism which journalists themselves hold up as the gold standard, the old "if your mother tells you she loves you, get a second source" or however the old saying goes.

But what happened over the past 20-30 years is a post-modernist movement in journalism where journalists are being taught there is no objective "truth" but only personal "truth", and one must report on their personal truths - meaning tossing objectivity, the very basis of true journalism, out the window. They call it "accountability journalism" because rather than reporting on what is happening, the mentality has shifted into having journalists acting as watchdogs, but you never know for whom, and facts don't matter.

Tying that movement back in to sports, it all ends up being about the almighty dollar, and that's why you see local media always picking on the Bears quarterback, always saying the same things about the football teams, even if at times it is tone deaf - because it gets clicks. It gets reactions.

One of the people on the SCORE who will on occasion actually let some of the "how the meat gets made" secrets out is Danny Parkins, who himself has admitted on air he struggles with the balance between putting out factual info and the click-baity nature of the business, knowing that the score wants their hosts to say things that get a reaction from the audience because it helps their numbers (he said that on air about a year and a half ago).

That's why it cracks me up when people want to defend journalism in general - there have been amazing independent journalists over the years, but it has a very slimy history and track record... there's a reason why teams try to keep the locker room stuff away from the journos, and its not always because the team is doing something nefarious. They just know how dishonest 99% of journalists are, and what they are actually chasing. You can thank that for the boring, stock answers we always get from players and coaches as well...
Jesus fucking christ. @nvanprooyen can you make this moron stop rambling about nonsense

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
I’m curious why this isn’t brought up much. I realize they are being cautious with a lot of players and I can get behind that. I’d hope some of the reporters would press a little to find out what’s going on because at this point it is at least a minor concern that one of your top FA signings hasn’t been participating.
They have asked a few times that I have heard. I think the only response Flus has been giving overall is that none of the injuries are serious and it's up to the trainers as far as when the players are allowed to return to practice.

Idk if people in this thread are insinuating that he's purposely fooling the trainers into believing he's injured, or is just refusing to practice, but both of those scenarios seem far fetched.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They have asked a few times that I have heard. I think the only response Flus has been giving overall is that none of the injuries are serious and it's up to the trainers as far as when the players are allowed to return to practice.

Idk if people in this thread are insinuating that he's purposely fooling the trainers into believing he's injured, or is just refusing to practice, but both of those scenarios seem far fetched.
What I'm saying is it doesn't matter as long as he's there to start the year and others get needed reps. Lots of possible reasons that would be considered conjecture and that's all you'll get unless Flus says otherwise. Good luck.

Don't see the point in dwelling on it and I'm done.:)

Last edited:

brundleflyguy

Liked Posts:
<Long unneeded and unsolicited rant about journalism. Much of which is wrong and biased.>

If you look at the top of the page, you'll notice this is a thread about 2023 Chicago Bears Training Camp. For the love of God, please stop with the BS hair splitting and endless diatribes. Nobody else gives a shit, and you're just irritating people and damaging your reputation.

Edit: Missing character.

Nelly

Liked Posts:

Not the thread for this type of stuff, not that I disagree. It's why I didn't go too deep with my posts.

Last edited:

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

@nvanprooyen @Penny Traitor