Official 2023 Training Camp thread

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
Why wouldn't you sign a better player if there is one available at the right price? Will you also be disappointed when they make waiver claims to upgrade the roster at cut down day?
Again, this isn't a knock on Mercedes, but more on the lack of confidence in our OLine in general.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Sure I'll give him props for Jones, but what else?
As for Mercedes, it's not that I dont like him, I do. It's just that it kinda tells the story of our OLine, in that we already have 5 TE's on the team (minus Mercedes), and they still feel the need to get better blocking support. I dunno, I hope I'm wrong, but this team has not impressed us with the line.

He’s here to replace Chase Allen who they just released with an injury designation . You are reading into shit

msadows

Liked Posts:
Again, this isn't a knock on Mercedes, but more on the lack of confidence in our OLine in general.

This oline is def 1 injury away from being dogshit again.

But you could pretty much say that about most teams, except for the fudgepackers. Feel like every time they had a guard or tackle go down against us their backup plays just as well

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:

But you could pretty much say that about most teams, except for the fudgepackers. Feel like every time they had a guard or tackle go down against us their backup plays just as well
That kinda makes me wonder how they'll do with Love.
I definitely think Rodgers had a lot to do with that as well.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
He could easily say he has a lingering hammy, or something.

It's not like he's holding out and saying he refuses to practice. Thats not what I meant.

Jurko mentioned that plenty of players, including himself, would just overstate their actual injuries to not have to practice every so often. Maybe nate davis is just the NFL's allen iverson.
Well the worst thing a player could do for a lingering hammy is to stress it before it is healed. I see no valor in practicing injured when the benefits are minimal, esp for a vet interior OL. Playing with dings during the season sure, playing injured in early TC, nah. Pretty sure that is why so many guys are sitting out. After the 1st preseason games you will see guys get right , it happens every off season. There will be the obligatory "They are healthy going int the season," headline in just under a month.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Not sure how signing a better blocking TE, a position every team has, is in any way a lack of confidence in the OL. You, me, or Poles may lack confidence in the OL but signing a better blocking TE is no more an indictment of the OL then signing YN at DE was an indictment of the DTs.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Not the thread for this type of stuff, not that I disagree. It's why I didn't go too deep with my posts.

Yeah, I think that's fair.

I feel bad for the people who think I am the one being biased here, but I'll keep my talk Bears-centered in this thread from now on.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Well the worst thing a player could do for a lingering hammy is to stress it before it is healed. I see no valor in practicing injured when the benefits are minimal, esp for a vet interior OL. Playing with dings during the season sure, playing injured in early TC, nah. Pretty sure that is why so many guys are sitting out. After the 1st preseason games you will see guys get right , it happens every off season. There will be the obligatory "They are healthy going int the season," headline in just under a month.
Yeah we’re still a month off of the first game and people are acting like it’s next week. This happens every year.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Agreed. OL depth is my greatest worry. I’ll be shocked if at least one more OL isn’t added via FA or waivers.

Bort

Liked Posts:
I would debate whether there are actual reputable publications.

Journalism has always had a sketchy past even going back in history. One can look at the era of "Yellow Journalism" where every paper was basically the national inquirer, and even after that era, you maybe had a period of reliable journalism which journalists themselves hold up as the gold standard, the old "if your mother tells you she loves you, get a second source" or however the old saying goes.

But what happened over the past 20-30 years is a post-modernist movement in journalism where journalists are being taught there is no objective "truth" but only personal "truth", and one must report on their personal truths - meaning tossing objectivity, the very basis of true journalism, out the window. They call it "accountability journalism" because rather than reporting on what is happening, the mentality has shifted into having journalists acting as watchdogs, but you never know for whom, and facts don't matter.

Tying that movement back in to sports, it all ends up being about the almighty dollar, and that's why you see local media always picking on the Bears quarterback, always saying the same things about the football teams, even if at times it is tone deaf - because it gets clicks. It gets reactions.

One of the people on the SCORE who will on occasion actually let some of the "how the meat gets made" secrets out is Danny Parkins, who himself has admitted on air he struggles with the balance between putting out factual info and the click-baity nature of the business, knowing that the score wants their hosts to say things that get a reaction from the audience because it helps their numbers (he said that on air about a year and a half ago).

That's why it cracks me up when people want to defend journalism in general - there have been amazing independent journalists over the years, but it has a very slimy history and track record... there's a reason why teams try to keep the locker room stuff away from the journos, and its not always because the team is doing something nefarious. They just know how dishonest 99% of journalists are, and what they are actually chasing. You can thank that for the boring, stock answers we always get from players and coaches as well...
I'm sorry that this is off-topic, but the concept of postmodernist sports journalism is extremely funny to me.

Like whole sports sections in the newspaper full of articles with titles like "Will Justin Fields Throw More Touchdown Passes this Season? Only if We Accept the Logocentric Metaphysics that Manifest the Concept of the Touchdown as Culturally Meaningful."

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Nick Bosa or @Bust.

I'm sure he'd love the opportunity to play with JF1. Given that the Bears lost to the Eagles by only 5 points (the team that the 49ers didn't even have a QB to face) I'm sure Bosa would have a better shot at a SB in Chicago.

Soft ass Brock Purdy.

Yeah there’s no way he becomes available.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He practiced yesterday. Then sat out again today.

No one has reported an injury for him, so I'm just guessing he's a lazy bum who doesnt like to practice. Could care less, honestly, if he actually plays well on sundays.

Probably just being cautious with injuries

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Sure I'll give him props for Jones, but what else?
As for Mercedes, it's not that I dont like him, I do. It's just that it kinda tells the story of our OLine, in that we already have 5 TE's on the team (minus Mercedes), and they still feel the need to get better blocking support. I dunno, I hope I'm wrong, but this team has not impressed us with the line.
"This team has not impressed us with the line"

IMG_4985.jpg

Please, don't tell us your opinion until you get to be on top to actually see anything