Official 2023 Training Camp thread

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Anyone know if with the injuries to Whitehair and Patrick, if Kramer is going to start Saturday? Or are either supposed to be well enough to play by that point?

I am curious to see what Kramer can do vs another team's starters.
If you see Kramer play will you know what you're looking at, especially if he's blocking on a screen play? Or are you just focusing on run protection?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Anyone know if with the injuries to Whitehair and Patrick, if Kramer is going to start Saturday? Or are either supposed to be well enough to play by that point?

I doubt Whitehair and Patrick play. But they don't announce preseason injuries so who knows for sure.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Waiver priority has nothing do to with them signing to the PS.

The Bears have the #1 waiver position. If another team cuts a player and they claim him that player has to go on the 53. You don’t claim players to go on the PS.
People are getting confused..

Or maybe I am if they have changed things again

As soon as every team cuts down to 53, all those other players are cut, if they are vets with 4 years they are free agents and can sign with any team, the rest go on waivers and bears pick first, they can fill the PS and also cut and move guys to the 53 if they want.

But to get the players on the PS they have to go through waivers first

Canth

Liked Posts:

As soon as every team cuts down to 53, all those other players are cut, if they are vets with 4 years they are free agents and can sign with any team, the rest go on waivers and bears pick first, they can fill the PS and also cut and move guys to the 53 if they want.

Almost.

Early in the season, I think it's correct that a vested veteran immediately becomes a free agent and does not have to clear waivers.

Anyone else cut must clear waivers before they become a free agent. Any team that claims the player on waivers takes on their contract and that player must be placed on their 53 man team. I think, for at least the early part of the season, any player claimed must also remain on the 53 man team for at least 3 weeks.

The practice squad is filled by signing free agents. It used to be they could not have too many years of experience to be on the practice squad, but over time they have relaxed that more to allow for some veterans to be signed to the practice squad.

dennehy

Liked Posts:

This is accurate. But usually only a handful of players are claimed. I think last year the Bears made more claims than all other teams combined after final cuts.

Then the players who aren't claimed are free to sign to the PS.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

Maybe he will stay in and block like you think he’s supposed to on a hb screen while the rb gets destroyed by a lb

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Maybe he will stay in and block like you think he’s supposed to on a hb screen while the rb gets destroyed by a lb

Whitehair was out of the play on those screens. The left side picked up the linebackers. Whitehair's job is to get in the way of the defensive end to make sure he doesn't get the receiver from behind initially - not really an issue given Moore's speed.

Which is why I have questions on the design of it.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Don't get bitchy because i made a valid observation. No one said you had to like the picks but you made a point about Dexter vs Schmitz and it wasn't. It was Dexter vs Stevenson. Dexter did not prevent us from drafting Schmitz. That was my only observation outside that this regime still wants to see what they have in Kramer. There was no reason to dump on Dexter over Schmitz. You may be right which is a better pick or not. Too early to tell and not the point but it wasn't an either or situation. Could of had both.

Yes could have had Stevenson and JMS instead of this giant sloth. The fact he wasn’t the exact pick after is irrelevant, and a day late, which is why I commented.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Whitehair was out of the play on those screens. The left side picked up the linebackers. Whitehair's job is to get in the way of the defensive end to make sure he doesn't get the receiver from behind initially - not really an issue given Moore's speed.

You didn't have a question of its "design" though.

dennehy

Liked Posts:

That's not his job.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You don't have to claim a guy on waivers for the 53, you can pluck any teams PS player and put them on your 53, now that team as the ability to block it by moving that player up to their own 53,
Who the fuck said that? How can anyone be this consistently confused. I hope for your sake that this is a joke.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If you see Kramer play will you know what you're looking at, especially if he's blocking on a screen play? Or are you just focusing on run protection?

Focusing on run and pass protection.

You guys like to razz me, yet Flus is keeping a healthy Justin Fields out of the game after he had pressure up the middle in the game and in the practices after on that same screen play.

Stop pretending things are all rosy and normal just because you got a personal beef w me. If they were and everything was fine, Flus would not be keeping Justin out of the next game, and would not mention protection as something that is needed to be worked on.

There's something off with the protection for Fields. Flus wants it ironed out before he puts Fields back in there. It could be any number of things, but the screen game really stands out as when it seems like protection doesn't hold up.

And before the peanut gallery starts bitching that screens are supposed to let defenders in to allow a mismatch - screens aren't meant to get your quarterback destroyed in the process. Other teams have screens, let defenders through, and yet still give their qb enough time to get the ball off before the defender can hit them. NORMALLY, its because rather than ditch their assignment up front and run sideways like whitehair is doing, the center or someone assigned to the man across from the center will hold the block for a half-second before releasing and moving on to their screen assignment, to buy time for the play to develop and not get the QB killed.

You can't let a defender run straight up the gut between the guard and center, even on a screen, uncontested and not expect to get your QB killed, unless you are also adding in a sprint or roll out away from the anticipated pressure.

On 3 plays, 2 in practice and one in the game, I saw none of that - I saw whitehair give up almost completely on the guy across from him so he could sprint left, and no one, not a RB, FB, TE, the RG, etc was there to handle that gap, giving the defender a straight shot at Fields, and leading to him getting or almost getting hit in those situaitons.

Is it Whitehair? Is it play design? Is someone not following through on their assignments? Could be all of the above. Flus didn't sound happy when he talked about why Fields wasn't playing. You can't get your QB killed. Period.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Focusing on run and pass protection.

You guys like to razz me, yet Flus is keeping a healthy Justin Fields out of the game after he had pressure up the middle in the game and in the practices after on that same screen play.

Stop pretending things are all rosy and normal just because you got a personal beef w me. If they were and everything was fine, Flus would not be keeping Justin out of the next game, and would not mention protection as something that is needed to be worked on.

There's something off with the protection for Fields. Flus wants it ironed out before he puts Fields back in there. It could be any number of things, but the screen game really stands out as when it seems like protection doesn't hold up.

And before the peanut gallery starts bitching that screens are supposed to let defenders in to allow a mismatch - screens aren't meant to get your quarterback destroyed in the process. Other teams have screens, let defenders through, and yet still give their qb enough time to get the ball off before the defender can hit them. NORMALLY, its because rather than ditch their assignment up front and run sideways like whitehair is doing, the center or someone assigned to the man across from the center will hold the block for a half-second before releasing and moving on to their screen assignment, to buy time for the play to develop and not get the QB killed.

You can't let a defender run straight up the gut between the guard and center, even on a screen, uncontested and not expect to get your QB killed, unless you are also adding in a sprint or roll out away from the anticipated pressure.

On 3 plays, 2 in practice and one in the game, I saw none of that - I saw whitehair give up almost completely on the guy across from him so he could sprint left, and no one, not a RB, FB, TE, the RG, etc was there to handle that gap, giving the defender a straight shot at Fields, and leading to him hitting hit in those situaitons.

Is it Whitehair? Is it play design? Is someone not following through on their assignments? Could be all of the above. Flus didn't sound happy when he talked about why Fields wasn't playing. You can't get your QB killed. Period.
"Run protection" isn't a thing.