Official 2023 Training Camp thread

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Not all year. There is a time period where they keep the #1 waver pick (3 weeks?). After that, the waver claims are readjusted to the current team with the worst record.

So, it will be the Bears for several weeks and then the Panthers will have the #1 waver pick for the rest of the year.

Fingers crossed.
My money is on Arizona

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I thought he needed to move inside. Personally, I wanted them to try him at C. I know he’s tall for one, but there was a kid coming out of Wisconsin this year that had a lot of height. Either way, good to see him not looking like complete trash.

Last edited:

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I thought he needed to move inside. Personally, I wanted them to try him at C. I know he’s tall for one, but there was a kid coming out of Wisconsin this year that had a lot of height. Either way, good to see him not looking like complete trash.
Someone posted the all-22 from IND game in another thread, Leatherwood looked stout against bull rush but not great at most of the skills you want from a guard on a zone heavy team (lateral movement, speed getting to second level, field vision). He seems to be at his best when he is asked to block a down linemen in front him, and looked out of his league on anything beyond that. Still, there’s value in a player who is at least able to consistently block DTs 1 on 1 in the passing game, maybe he can pair well with with an undersized super-mobile C like Kramer who wants to hand off DL to someone else so he can bully a LB.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
From Peter King today:

“Bears: The Moore Factor

LAKE FOREST, Ill.—One of the great things about seeing practice at training camp: You see the real thing. The day I was at the Bears, wideout Chase Claypool and rookie corner Tyrique Stevenson(from the U) started jousting after one coverage play. They had to be separated, and Stevenson chirped angrily at him—not at all rookie-like. Impressive, standing up to the strong-willed Claypool.

Another snap: Stevenson, likely to start, one-on-one on new wideout D.J. Moore, on a go-route down the left sideline. Stevenson’s a physical kid; doesn’t play like a rookie. Justin Fields let it fly. Moore climbed (seemingly) on air to high-point the ball over the strong coverage of the rookie. Great catch, strong hands, good instincts knowing when to go for the ball, good confidence in drawing everything together.

Moore is the player this franchise needed for the care and development of the young quarterback, Fields. Even though I think the Bears would have been partial to acquiring either of two untouchable Panthers in the trade-down (pass-rusher Brian Burns or defensive tackle Derrick Brown), on this morning a month before the season, it’s apparent no one here wants a do-over on the trade that netted Chicago one of the game’s top 20 wide receivers.

“Very happy with it,” GM Ryan Poles told me, smiling, when I asked how he felt about the trade now. “Very happy.”

Those who’ve watched the Bears this summer say the biggest difference in Fields is he trusts his receivers more. This is a rare second straight year in the same offense for the young QB, and smart money says he gives his routes longer to develop and will hang in the pocket more than last year. In other words, don’t look for Fields to run it 10.1 times per game, as he did in 2022. This summer, the ball gets out a little quicker, and when it doesn’t, he’s comfortable waiting a tick longer; the decisions are surer.

“The offense is electrifying—it’s electric,” said Moore.

When is the last time anyone said that about the Chicago Bears, by the way? And for that to be true, Fields needs to remember his rushing is a premier weapon. But Moore needs to be a big factor, and immediately. That’s the plan here.

“Justin’s young. He’s a sponge. He’ll throw deep, intermediate, short—just wants to make the best choice on every play,” Moore said.

Moore was the 24th pick in 2018, the top wideout chosen in a weak draft for them. He’s justified the pick, averaging 73 catches and 14.3 yards per catch in his five pro seasons. Moore is average size (6-0, 210) with slightly above-average speed (4.42-second 40-). But he’s competitive, he wins battles for the ball, and he’s there every Sunday (two missed games in five years). Not much not to like.

The Bears, so far, have gotten a poor return in dealing the first pick in the 2023 second round to Pittsburgh for Claypool. Poles, and this offense, need Moore to be everything he’s looked like so far in camp.”

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
An interesting take from Kyle Shanahan on building a team (via Peter King):

“And this is the biggest surprise of the 35 minutes I spent with Shanahan. He’s more laser-focused on building a defense and a kicking game, with GM John Lynch and personnel czar Adam Peters, than he is on building a team that leads the league in scoring every year.

It was just 19 months ago that the Niners had zero going for them on offense, trailed Green Bay 10-3 with five minutes left, and won on a zero-degree wind-chill night with a blocked punt and long field goal at the end. Thus spending big on Hargrave this year. If they live in quarterback hell again this year—not likely, but in San Francisco, who knows?—they’ll always have a chance.

“That’s kind of been a view of how to build a team for me forever,” he said. “Hoping you can always have that quarterback, but if you can build that defense that way and play the right way, you do have a chance.”

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Okay, so it would be a new contract AFTER he gets his guaranteed money or, more accurately, he’s already been paid that money, so it’s just be a new contract. Okay, so, bear with me, as I’m not a cap guy, it would ultimately lower his cap should he get a vet minimum contract. I mean, he would get the 2 mil, but then not the rest of the contract, right?
His cap # this season is $1.66M if cut and added to PS his cap number is $2.01M but his $1.89 M salary next season(2024) is off the books.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
An interesting take from Kyle Shanahan on building a team (via Peter King):

“And this is the biggest surprise of the 35 minutes I spent with Shanahan. He’s more laser-focused on building a defense and a kicking game, with GM John Lynch and personnel czar Adam Peters, than he is on building a team that leads the league in scoring every year.

It was just 19 months ago that the Niners had zero going for them on offense, trailed Green Bay 10-3 with five minutes left, and won on a zero-degree wind-chill night with a blocked punt and long field goal at the end. Thus spending big on Hargrave this year. If they live in quarterback hell again this year—not likely, but in San Francisco, who knows?—they’ll always have a chance.

“That’s kind of been a view of how to build a team for me forever,” he said. “Hoping you can always have that quarterback, but if you can build that defense that way and play the right way, you do have a chance.”

The thing is, if you do just about EVERYTHING right Building a team that way, you have about a 3-5 year window, tops, where you can sustain and contend for a Superbowl.

You need a good quarterback if you want to sustain excellence long term.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To me it’s pretty obvious that Bagent won a roster spot last night, the key clue is that he was pulled at halftime. It’s an easy decision when you take money out of the equation. The only question remains is if they keep 3 or 2 QBs on the 53.

PJ Walker is the one playing for a job over the next week. He needs to show why he was signed and quick or he will be on waivers.
They may still waive and resign him. Other teams won't claim a QB they don't expect to be their #2 and one VG series for a UDFA from a small school probably isn't enough for a team that hasn't watched him every day to project him there. If he gets claimed, it will be for a 53 and every team has an issue getting there with enough plyers they want. They'll claim a #2 LB before a Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference UDFA #3 QB .

The issue is that there are 32 teams and it only takes one GM to feel strongly enough about it but if they waive him, even with another good outing, it's still more likely that he clears waivers than he gets claimed but at that point you are rolling weighted dice that don't always work. I hope he deservedly become our #2 so we don't need to sweat that.

Last edited:

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Just wanna put it out there that I said Terrell Lewis was our best pass rusher a ciuole
Months ago when someone asked and ingot laughed out of the building!!

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
They may still waive and resign him. Other teams won't claim a QB they don't expect to be their #2 and one VG series for a UDFA from a small school probably isn't enough for a team that hasn't watched him every day to project him there. If he gets claimed, it will be for a 53 and every team has an issue getting there with enough plyers they want. They'll claim a #2 LB before a Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference UDFA QB.

The issue is that there are 32 teams and it only takes one GM to feel strongly enough about it but if they waive him, even with another good outing, it's still more likely that he clears waivers than he gets claimed but at that point you are rolling weighted dice that don't always work. I hope he deservedly become our #2 so we don't need to sweat that.
PJ is a disaster and needs to hit the road, really bad for an experienced guy, really bad.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Some fans have been infected by years of losing and can't help but perpetuate misery.

Is this particular missed call something to worry about? Hell no. Nothing in the preseason counts and small mistakes like OL drifting upfield on screens can be cleaned up.

What we're seeing is the potential of a young team coming together with spectacular results. You're doing the preseason wrong if you're not looking at positive flashes and projecting what we might see when games count.

It's fun watching Kyler Gordon knocking the crap out of WRs forcing multiple fumbles. Probably going to see that all season. Doesn't matter if the receiver is ruled down in the preseason. No need to scream at the TV. It also doesn't matter if a block in the back wasn't called on the DJ Moore screen. We can see he's capable of taking a WR screen to the house. That's what fucking matters.

Shed the PTSD and embrace your inner meatball.
Bears are gonna rock!!

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
So a couple things about the silly long 53 discussions yesterday. We learned two things that relate well to last night. The Bear aren't hiding Tyson, are allowing him to compete for QB2 and after last night, may not be able to take the risk of waiving him to get to 53. The other thing we learned yesterday is that the Bear can claim a player they waive but become last in the waiver line for their own waived player.

This could actually be that extremely rare scenario that I doubt has ever previously happened. Probably still wont since you cut him to make 53 and he'd count against it but it does give an extra day to manipulate the roster before you reclaim him since he's getting paid either way. If he clears, he'll very likely signs elsewhere and we get jack for the $2m. $2m is not the most important thing to an NFL team but if he doesn't fuck up the roster otherwise by losing another valuable player...

The obviously most common scenarios are, if Bagent is #2, we keep all 3 on the active or, we cut PJ to get to 53 and lose him whether he clears waivers or not but while EXTREMELY unlikely, it's not impossible that we reclaim him from the 32 slot. It's always been easier to get players (the other guy you'd have to cut and try to get to the PS to claim PJ) through the 2nd round of post 53 maneuvers as teams have become more settled in their rosters and have already made their claims to fill slots.

All that said, It's still a far fetched and extremely unlikely scenario but yesterday had me at least entertain the possibility of something like that being remotely possible even though as I write this, I'm still thinking, nahhh, LOL.

This is not an continuation of the previous discussion nor an argument of anything at this point.:)
PJ does not deserve a spot on the 53, move him out. Bagent has shown he can play, he's QB 2 for me. Peterman on practice squad.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
From Peter King today:

“Bears: The Moore Factor

LAKE FOREST, Ill.—One of the great things about seeing practice at training camp: You see the real thing. The day I was at the Bears, wideout Chase Claypool and rookie corner Tyrique Stevenson(from the U) started jousting after one coverage play. They had to be separated, and Stevenson chirped angrily at him—not at all rookie-like. Impressive, standing up to the strong-willed Claypool.

Another snap: Stevenson, likely to start, one-on-one on new wideout D.J. Moore, on a go-route down the left sideline. Stevenson’s a physical kid; doesn’t play like a rookie. Justin Fields let it fly. Moore climbed (seemingly) on air to high-point the ball over the strong coverage of the rookie. Great catch, strong hands, good instincts knowing when to go for the ball, good confidence in drawing everything together.

Moore is the player this franchise needed for the care and development of the young quarterback, Fields. Even though I think the Bears would have been partial to acquiring either of two untouchable Panthers in the trade-down (pass-rusher Brian Burns or defensive tackle Derrick Brown), on this morning a month before the season, it’s apparent no one here wants a do-over on the trade that netted Chicago one of the game’s top 20 wide receivers.

“Very happy with it,” GM Ryan Poles told me, smiling, when I asked how he felt about the trade now. “Very happy.”

Those who’ve watched the Bears this summer say the biggest difference in Fields is he trusts his receivers more. This is a rare second straight year in the same offense for the young QB, and smart money says he gives his routes longer to develop and will hang in the pocket more than last year. In other words, don’t look for Fields to run it 10.1 times per game, as he did in 2022. This summer, the ball gets out a little quicker, and when it doesn’t, he’s comfortable waiting a tick longer; the decisions are surer.

“The offense is electrifying—it’s electric,” said Moore.

When is the last time anyone said that about the Chicago Bears, by the way? And for that to be true, Fields needs to remember his rushing is a premier weapon. But Moore needs to be a big factor, and immediately. That’s the plan here.

“Justin’s young. He’s a sponge. He’ll throw deep, intermediate, short—just wants to make the best choice on every play,” Moore said.

Moore was the 24th pick in 2018, the top wideout chosen in a weak draft for them. He’s justified the pick, averaging 73 catches and 14.3 yards per catch in his five pro seasons. Moore is average size (6-0, 210) with slightly above-average speed (4.42-second 40-). But he’s competitive, he wins battles for the ball, and he’s there every Sunday (two missed games in five years). Not much not to like.

The Bears, so far, have gotten a poor return in dealing the first pick in the 2023 second round to Pittsburgh for Claypool. Poles, and this offense, need Moore to be everything he’s looked like so far in camp.”

I like electric!!