Official 2023 Training Camp thread

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Thanks. This put put some things in perspective.

Not to take anything away, but looked like there were only 2 plays where he did not throw to his first read. The sack and TD run. Would be nice to see him go through one progression and throw to a secondary read before making him the #2 as a lot of the local media seems ready to do.
If I'm wrong let me know but this clip leaves me with big question marks on what he can handle. Hopefully he gets a chance to show it next week

dbldrew

Liked Posts:

Not to take anything away, but looked like there were only 2 plays where he did not throw to his first read. The sack and TD run. Would be nice to see him go through one progression and throw to a secondary read before making him the #2 as a lot of the local media seems ready to do.
If I'm wrong let me know but this clip leaves me with big question marks on what he can handle. Hopefully he gets a chance to show it next week
he went off his first read a couple times in the Titans game, Unfortunately the only video I could find of his throws in week 1 was a stupid tiktok/yt shorts narrow video..

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

To be fair, the coverage may determine what his 1st read is so simply throwing to your 1st open one is reading the field. It usually doesn't suddenly get easier when a different QB comes in.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Someone posted the all-22 from IND game in another thread, Leatherwood looked stout against bull rush but not great at most of the skills you want from a guard on a zone heavy team (lateral movement, speed getting to second level, field vision). He seems to be at his best when he is asked to block a down linemen in front him, and looked out of his league on anything beyond that. Still, there’s value in a player who is at least able to consistently block DTs 1 on 1 in the passing game, maybe he can pair well with with an undersized super-mobile C like Kramer who wants to hand off DL to someone else so he can bully a LB.
I thought he looked better than that and was understanding his 2nd level assignments. Carter's range and moxie just looked better but i doubt he's as stout against 1s. Leatherwood still looks a little like a T playing G. Carter looks like he's become a G. Nice to see these guys, along with Kramer improving.

Last edited:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

The passes at the 0:14 and 0:22 second marks were second read throws and he was 9/10 passing so I would argue if his first read is open then it would show indecisiveness and he would be in error to move to his second read.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
The passes at the 0:14 and 0:22 second marks were second read throws and he was 9/10 passing so I would argue if his first read is open then it would show indecisiveness and he would be in error to move to his second read.
Its hard to tell because the video is so zoomed in but think the :22 second mark was a screen and he was just looking off it to help sell it, which is great to see either way

Rise

Liked Posts:
Dj Moore returning punts is ridiculous cmon Flus. I’m beginning to worry about all these injuries, half the team isn’t practicing, training staff sucks.

Rise

Liked Posts:
They may still waive and resign him. Other teams won't claim a QB they don't expect to be their #2 and one VG series for a UDFA from a small school probably isn't enough for a team that hasn't watched him every day to project him there. If he gets claimed, it will be for a 53 and every team has an issue getting there with enough plyers they want. They'll claim a #2 LB before a Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference UDFA #3 QB .

The issue is that there are 32 teams and it only takes one GM to feel strongly enough about it but if they waive him, even with another good outing, it's still more likely that he clears waivers than he gets claimed but at that point you are rolling weighted dice that don't always work. I hope he deservedly become our #2 so we don't need to sweat that.

I heard this on the radio as well but I disagree with it. I think with the new rule some team would in fact grab him to be qb3. As you said it only takes one, and honestly with how bad PJ Walker looks I’d rather have Bagent play if Fields goes down. At least we would be developing someone.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I heard this on the radio as well but I disagree with it. I think with the new rule some team would in fact grab him to be qb3. As you said it only takes one, and honestly with how bad PJ Walker looks I’d rather have Bagent play if Fields goes down. At least we would be developing someone.
and why I hope he simply wins the #2 and doesn't put it to the test.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
An interesting take from Kyle Shanahan on building a team (via Peter King):

“And this is the biggest surprise of the 35 minutes I spent with Shanahan. He’s more laser-focused on building a defense and a kicking game, with GM John Lynch and personnel czar Adam Peters, than he is on building a team that leads the league in scoring every year.

It was just 19 months ago that the Niners had zero going for them on offense, trailed Green Bay 10-3 with five minutes left, and won on a zero-degree wind-chill night with a blocked punt and long field goal at the end. Thus spending big on Hargrave this year. If they live in quarterback hell again this year—not likely, but in San Francisco, who knows?—they’ll always have a chance.

“That’s kind of been a view of how to build a team for me forever,” he said. “Hoping you can always have that quarterback, but if you can build that defense that way and play the right way, you do have a chance.”

Except if this is the case you dont blow 3 firsts moving up to take Lance. He clearly was trying to get a franchise QB. He just failed miserably at but happened to build a good defense as he was failing at QB.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I am actually fine with Bagent being the 3. You could make him the 2 and have him go out there for a game or 2 if needed but I really think he can benefit from just sitting a year and learning the NFL playbook and getting an offseason program under his belt. What's the rush? He is coming from a tiny college and he even admitted the plays and assignments are way different... way more complicated.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Wow Darnell Wright injured now. I give amateur hour Flus two more years and he will be fired. He needs to tone down this shit in practice, fire the training staff, something.
Which team are you GM for?