***Official*** Chicago Bears Training Camp Thread!!! (Preamble to the Domination!) (FTO)

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Making decisions based on fear is usually not the best strategy.

Dude says Hester is his favorite player. If he wants to return punts and is our best option at it them let him. These guys dont get where they are being scared or cowards.
let’s throw Caleb back there then.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I don’t hate the idea of Rome returning punts. It’s not the most ideal, but I could see upside there for this season.

I’d prefer he didn’t, but I could see why it’s being considered as an option. This wouldn’t be a thought if VJJ could catch a goddamned punt, but he’s completely untrustable back there.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I dont think it's about fear but more about what you originally drafted him for and how much you paid for "that" expectation. I'm fine with him returning punts, but the problem the Bears have to figure out is "did we draft him this high for his receiver skill set or not?" If the answer is yes, then they are already failing themselves and him by going a different route without the guy even playing a snap. I know its early and this is all just talk and hypothetical but I think the Bears drafted him more to be an important piece in the receiver group, especially if Allen decides to bail.

First let me say that, in general, I also do not really want to see Rome returning punts.

Now, having said that, returning a couple of punts doesn't mean he can no longer be a top tier receiver. These are not mutually exclusive things where he can only do one or the other. He can do both.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
First let me say that, in general, I also do not really want to see Rome returning punts.

Now, having said that, returning a couple of punts doesn't mean he can no longer be a top tier receiver. These are not mutually exclusive things where he can only do one or the other. He can do both.
I'd offer that if there were someone better for the job, Odunze wouldn't be considered for the it. It would be great if VJJ or Herbert or Scott took the role.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I dont think it's about fear but more about what you originally drafted him for and how much you paid for "that" expectation. I'm fine with him returning punts, but the problem the Bears have to figure out is "did we draft him this high for his receiver skill set or not?" If the answer is yes, then they are already failing themselves and him by going a different route without the guy even playing a snap. I know its early and this is all just talk and hypothetical but I think the Bears drafted him more to be an important piece in the receiver group, especially if Allen decides to bail.

Umm he can return punts and also get snaps at WR. So this isnt going a different route. This is he probably isnt playing the number of snaps a No 9 pick would normally play because we have Moore, Allen, Kmet, and Everett so let's use his skill set on special teams to get more out of him.
I'd offer that if there were someone better for the job, Odunze wouldn't be considered for the it. It would be great if VJJ or Herbert or Scott took the role.
Correct because if someone is better for the job they should do it because they are better at it. However if he is better at the job then he should do it because he is better at it. This is precisely how it should work for most positions. The best man for the job gets the job. What a revolutionary idea I know.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
let’s throw Caleb back there then.

Why? There is no evidence he is good at it like there is with Odunze and he is a starter. Are you confused that this is about who is best for the job and also about the fact Odunze is not a starter in 2 WR sets.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The alarming revelation appears when you evaluate the disparity of proportions between anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries of these play type groupings. Confirmed ACL injuries account for 19.2% of the knee injuries that transpired on kickoffs and punts compared to 6.9% during other plays (alpha= 0.05, p < .01).

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
It’s a dumb move. $22 million guaranteed is 10% of the cap. His $13m this year in a signing bonus. He has a dead cap hit of $14m which puts him in the top ten in the bears so yes, it’s significant if he gets injured.
Dead cap money? Are we talking like if he is assassinated to death on a kick return? And if he is could the Bears spread that cap hit out over 2 years if they didn't cut his corpse until after next June cuts?

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Ditka did this with starting CB Leslie Frazier in the Super Bowl and ended his playing career. The Bears struggled for years after that at CB and it cost them some playoff games to Washington, who had a trio of receivers who seemed like they were always open vs the Bears.
LOL! The QB position cost the Bears those playoff games WAY more than the CB position.

Salvaged Ship

Liked Posts:
I get the concerns about Rome returning punts, thing is if he takes his first punt and returns it for a TD everyone will be clamor for him to do it again. I just want someone back there who can catch the ball, either way I am good with

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It's perfect for a late 1, a 2 or 3 but a top 10 pick? Financially it is a dumb decision to put him at injury risk on special teams after investing so much into him.

Not debating if it’s a good or bad move, but are there any available stats on injury risk returning punts?