***Official*** Chicago Bears Training Camp Thread!!! (Preamble to the Domination!) (FTO)

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Never is razzing someone behind their back like that cool. Any time someone pretends to be buddy buddy with you but behind your back they are making fun of you, that's a shady asshole who is not your friend. I'm hoping there is more to the story than just a hot mic accident.
I razz the hell out of the people i love the most. It's a thing with me and my buddies.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Gotta wonder if they are talking about someone else as a joke, like Staley or Spice Adams might be catching passes from Caleb or something. It would be shady and kinda dumb to know cameras are nearby and still be insulting the QB.

Never is razzing someone behind their back like that cool. Any time someone pretends to be buddy buddy with you but behind your back they are making fun of you, that's a shady asshole who is not your friend. I'm hoping there is more to the story than just a hot mic accident.

Sorry, where I come you can joke about each other face to face and it's all in fun to tease, but sitting around talking about how another man looks behind his back is suspect. Like what man is worried why one of his "friends" doesn't have a neat haircut and talks about it to some scrub that won't be on the team?

"He looks like a gremlin"... "Doesn't even have a fade"... If they were really talking about Caleb and he sees that I would expect him to laugh it off as no big deal, but I bet he definitely would not consider him anything more than an associate.

It's like one of the guys that plays buddy buddy with you but when you turn your back he's trying to sleep with your girl... Lame as hell.

There are no tea leaves to be read. To each their own. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter at all. Just my personal opinion.

bye-dismissed.gif

Caleb invited Rome to his Pre Camp Workout b4 the draft....

Last edited:

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Sorry, where I come you can joke about each other face to face and it's all in fun to tease, but sitting around talking about how another man looks behind his back is suspect. Like what man is worried why one of his "friends" doesn't have a neat haircut and talks about it to some scrub that won't be on the team?

"He looks like a gremlin"... "Doesn't even have a fade"... If they were really talking about Caleb and he sees that I would expect him to laugh it off as no big deal, but I bet he definitely would not consider him anything more than an associate.

It's like one of the guys that plays buddy buddy with you but when you turn your back he's trying to sleep with your girl... Lame as hell.
It’s obviously staged for Hard Knocks and they’re fucking around. They absolutely know Caleb will see and hear this. I’m sure he’ll get back at them too.

Good lord I can’t wait for the season to start!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
But those guys ain't 3rd wrs

This was early in their careers when they were not starters. Once they became entrenched as starters they did it for a few more years before giving it up.

One was a 5th rounder, one was a third.

Peter Warrick did it as the 4th overall pick. Draft status doesnt matter. More about ability and where you are on depth chart. Toney, Reagor and Hardman all 1st round WRs that did it at some point first 2 years especially when they were not one of the top 2 WRs.

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
This was early in their careers when they were not starters. Once they became entrenched as starters they did it for a few more years before giving it up.
It's perfect for a late 1, a 2 or 3 but a top 10 pick? Financially it is a dumb decision to put him at injury risk on special teams after investing so much into him.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's perfect for a late 1, a 2 or 3 but a top 10 pick? Financially it is a dumb decision to put him at injury risk on special teams after investing so much into him.
Peter Warrick did it as the 4th overall pick.

It is fine if you dont like it but nothing dumb about trying to maximize return on a player that likely isnt going to play as much as most th overall picks because of all the weapons we have.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
As long as he isnt muffing the punt. The risk of his career ending on a punt return aren't so high that this is an undue risk.

I don't think there is much of a financial argument to be made either. The difference in annual salary is only a few million per year between Rome Odunze and Xavier Legette over those four years. That isn't a franchise-altering amount of money. I think the risk is him losing a year of reps, because next year he is going to be counted on to step up.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Putting Rome on punt returns is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever seen a coach do, and for this franchise that is saying something.

the risk is in no way worth the reward. Build a real offense which is what I thought they were doing and all you need to do is make sure the punt returner catches the ball.
Ditka did this with starting CB Leslie Frazier in the Super Bowl and ended his playing career. The Bears struggled for years after that at CB and it cost them some playoff games to Washington, who had a trio of receivers who seemed like they were always open vs the Bears.

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

If this wasn't a joke that they knew CW would get then I'm sure it wouldn't have made the cut. It's clearly an inside joke between them all

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
As long as he isnt muffing the punt. The risk of his career ending on a punt return aren't so high that this is an undue risk.

I don't think there is much of a financial argument to be made either. The difference in annual salary is only a few million per year between Rome Odunze and Xavier Legette over those four years. That isn't a franchise-altering amount of money. I think the risk is him losing a year of reps, because next year he is going to be counted on to step up.
Didn't Tarik Cohen end his career fielding a punt?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

It’s a dumb move. $22 million guaranteed is 10% of the cap. His $13m this year in a signing bonus. He has a dead cap hit of $14m which puts him in the top ten in the bears so yes, it’s significant if he gets injured.

napo55

Liked Posts:
He's supposed to be an elite wide receiver prospect. Not a good idea to risk that for a few punt returns.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It’s a dumb move. $22 million guaranteed is 10% of the cap. His $13m this year in a signing bonus. He has a dead cap hit of $14m which puts him in the top ten in the bears so yes, it’s significant if he gets injured.

Making decisions based on fear is usually not the best strategy.

Dude says Hester is his favorite player. If he wants to return punts and is our best option at it them let him. These guys dont get where they are being scared or cowards.

Last edited:

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
Making decisions based on fear is usually not the best strategy.

Dude says Hester is his favorite player. If he wants to return punts and is our best option at it them let him. These guys dont get where they are being scared or cowards.
I dont think it's about fear but more about what you originally drafted him for and how much you paid for "that" expectation. I'm fine with him returning punts, but the problem the Bears have to figure out is "did we draft him this high for his receiver skill set or not?" If the answer is yes, then they are already failing themselves and him by going a different route without the guy even playing a snap. I know its early and this is all just talk and hypothetical but I think the Bears drafted him more to be an important piece in the receiver group, especially if Allen decides to bail.