***Official*** Chicago Bears Training Camp Thread!!! (Preamble to the Domination!) (FTO)

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not debating if it’s a good or bad move, but are there any available stats on injury risk returning punts?
The alarming revelation appears when you evaluate the disparity of proportions between anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries of these play type groupings. Confirmed ACL injuries account for 19.2% of the knee injuries that transpired on kickoffs and punts compared to 6.9% during other plays (alpha= 0.05, p < .01).

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The alarming revelation appears when you evaluate the disparity of proportions between anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries of these play type groupings. Confirmed ACL injuries account for 19.2% of the knee injuries that transpired on kickoffs and punts compared to 6.9% during other plays (alpha= 0.05, p < .01).
I’m not saying it’s good or bad or either. I’m saying it’s dumb to risk it. Why? Sign someone off the street ffs:

msadows

Liked Posts:

Personally, I'd let him do punts but only in like 4th quarter crucial situations.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
But how many were returners? I don’t have a dog in this fight but blockers/gunners get injured all the time on returns

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
Didn’t Hester got 9-10 years without an injury and also played WR while returning a few years? Some get injured, some don’t as much. Just luck.
My comment was based on what was posted, "The risk of his career ending on a punt return aren't so high that this is an undue risk". The truth is that the risk of injury is disproportionally greater on kick and punt returns. More importantly, it is the type of injuries, predominantly head and knee. How many of the top receivers in the NFL are also returning punts?

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
My comment was based on what was posted, "The risk of his career ending on a punt return aren't so high that this is an undue risk". The truth is that the risk of injury is disproportionally greater on kick and punt returns. More importantly, it is the type of injuries, predominantly head and knee. How many of the top receivers in the NFL are also returning punts?
Lots. Lots I tell you!

Rise

Liked Posts:
What evidence do we even have that Rome is great at punt returns? He isn’t a Tyreek Hill type of player.

The risks of him getting his knee shredded is not even close to worth it. This is an idiotic move by an idiotic HC. Fuck punt returns, just get someone who can catch the ball.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I would offer that the risk of a season ending injury is great enough that you shouldn't throw a starting player out there. But for a rookie, who is the third WR on this team, you are giving him an extra 3-4 touches a game. If he is objectively better than the next man up, and doing well with those extra touches, then I think it is worth the risk.

If he is only offering an average of 2 yards per return (among those that don't muff punts) better than the next guy, I would agree with you that the extra touches aren't providing much for Odunze and he is better served staying off of ST.

Applefan

Liked Posts:
I wondered why Roschon Johnson didn't play on Saturday. Ditto for Colin Johnson when I thought I saw Nsimba Webster with the 2nd team.
I thought I saw Collin Johnson on the kickoff coverage unit to start the game. Could have sworn I saw a tall #80 out there for us.