***Official*** Chicago Bears Training Camp Thread!!! (Preamble to the Domination!) (FTO)

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Score update says Gayleb was gr8 and bad. My boi Gordon picked him off 2wice and one was a 100 yard pick6
Heard one pick was on a tipped pass…not sure if that was the one returned or not

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You'll be disappointed because I expect more picks spent on DL early than OL
If you want an elite tackle, you take them in the first. Elite centers can be found in the second. And then guards after that. Sure, I could see them going DE in the 1st, but that really depends on how they see the OL, and what happens this year. We for SURE want an elite center. I'd rather protect Caleb with an elite LT than get another great DE to go with Sweat. We can grow or own OR get a DE in FA/trade, IMO. People don't let elite OL go, like...ever.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Draft seems skewed more towards defensive talent early. Focusing too much on need is how Pace got us into this mess. Just draft the best players available witjin reasons.

Not really. Only 8 players remain from Pace era so replaced 45 players in 3 offseasons. There was always going to some holes left over unless he was damn near perfect which no GM is.
And the nice thing is that we aren't desperate at ANY position. We CAN go BPA. But all things equal, if you have a DE and a LT and a WR and a CB all graded at say 96/100, you draft for need. We'll have to see how the draft goes. We needed a center THIS year. I'll wait to see how good or bad the OL plays this year. We have a few pieces that can stay IMO.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Two year, really. And the OL has some nice pieces, and the DL has some nice pieces. Neither are finished, but they aren't BAD.
DL is bad. It's bottom 5 in the league if you go team by team and look at personnel. The only teams that I'd say probably have worse players on the DL currently are NE, AZ and Denver

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I'm interested to see who Kiran pushes off the roster. I assume Carter but could be Pryor or borom I guess. Carter has probably shown enough to get picked up by another OL needy team
I would rather keep Carter over Borom. He is cheaper and more athletic.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
If you want an elite tackle, you take them in the first. Elite centers can be found in the second. And then guards after that. Sure, I could see them going DE in the 1st, but that really depends on how they see the OL, and what happens this year. We for SURE want an elite center. I'd rather protect Caleb with an elite LT than get another great DE to go with Sweat. We can grow or own OR get a DE in FA/trade, IMO. People don't let elite OL go, like...ever.
I think that if the priority is on getting elite OL in the draft, that you must eschew the idea that you get this or that guy in any given round and just get your athlete. This team may be picking in the 20s by virtue of their own record or a trade down, and getting a guard or center there is just as sensible as getting one at pick 35 or 40. If Caleb is the genuine article, then there is no such thing as putting too high a priority on protecting him.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Two year, really. And the OL has some nice pieces, and the DL has some nice pieces. Neither are finished, but they aren't BAD.
That's what i said.

3 offseasons with Bears.

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Carter played a little LT in the preseason.
And Borom has taken like 1500 snaps there in the regular season, including many when Carter was on the bench.

They need a backup OT. Borom's the only one other than Kiran who almost certainly isn't ready.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It's only @remydat talking about Pace (again) but he sure has built a hell of a team in Atlanta.
On paper it looks to be a good situation, but they did finish with the same record as the Bears last year and were embarrassed in Chicago. I expect them to win their shitty division but lose in the divisional round. The Simmons signing is a smart move that no one is talking about.

msadows

Liked Posts:
DL is bad. It's bottom 5 in the league if you go team by team and look at personnel. The only teams that I'd say probably have worse players on the DL currently are NE, AZ and Denver

Dline is bad, but id say 10th-12th worst. You are just factoring pass rush, which they are bottom tier ass at. Stopping the run(at least last year) they were very good. Without sweat it 100% is the worst in the NFL

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see much talk about Ian Wheeler. He should be RB 3 or 4 and had a 29yard average returning kicks in college. Runs a 4.3 and looks it. He can catch consistently unlike Homer and pot luck VJJ. I'm not a VJJ hater, however, he's had plenty of time to dazzle us with something. His kick return average was good last year but it's not enough.
I am a VJJ hater - he's nowhere near talented enough to make up for being fundamentally unsound. I hope he gets cut but I won't stay mad at Poles forever if he doesn't.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I am a VJJ hater - he's nowhere near talented enough to make up for being fundamentally unsound. I hope he gets cut but I won't stay mad at Poles forever if he doesn't.
He really hasn’t proved he belongs this offseason, is he even returning kicks anymore?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
On paper it looks to be a good situation, but they did finish with the same record as the Bears last year and were embarrassed in Chicago. I expect them to win their shitty division but lose in the divisional round. The Simmons signing is a smart move that no one is talking about.
Pretty sure Kirk Cousins is an upgrade over D.Ridder and added Rondale Moore and our boy D.Mooney to go with D.London, K.Pitts and Bijan and added M.Judon to go with Simmons and added Ruke Orhorhoro, B.Dorlus and B.Trice in the draft for the defense to go with Grady Jarrett and our boy Eddie Goldman.

I think R.Moore and B.Trice are both hurt though.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd and 3rd rd picks spent in the last 2 years on the line. Seems like a reasonable start to me..
It's only a good start if those picks actually hit. So how do you think those 5 picks are looking so far?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Pretty sure Kirk Cousins is an upgrade over D.Ridder and added Rondale Moore and our boy D.Mooney to go with D.London, K.Pitts and Bijan and added M.Judon to go with Simmons and added Ruke Orhorhoro, B.Dorlus and B.Trice in the draft for the defense to go with Grady Jarrett and our boy Eddie Goldman.

I think R.Moore and B.Trice are both hurt though.
Eddie Goldman retired. Trice is out for the season. Cousins is coming off an Achilles tear.

Mooney is just a guy.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Eddie Goldman retired. Trice is out for the season. Cousins is coming off an Achilles tear.

Mooney is just a guy.
Mooney was just a guy with bad QB play and bad coaching but good QB's and good coaching will get the most out of WR's and Mooney has one season proving he can be a #2 or at the very least a #3 WR in this league.

I said Trice was hurt but they have plenty of talent on that defense that he won't be missed.

Cousins has been fully cleared so lets see how he does. He was already a non mobile QB.