***Official*** Chicago Bears Training Camp Thread!!! (Preamble to the Domination!) (FTO)

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Maybe but borom has experience starting in a few spots. Its likely he makes the team just because of that.

Similar to the people who wants herbert gone for anything, you dont really get much from cutting him vs. keeping him on the roster. 3m in savings could matter but you still gotta factor in what the other guy they keep would cost. Curhan makes 1m, so you'd really just save 2m cutting borom.
Curhan shouldn't be on the active roster at any point. He's atrocious and if they kept him over borom I'd be ashamed of the FO

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's making more than Teven, and he sucks. I think it's bad business to not cut him and save $3M but that's just me.
@gallagher
Weird, especially considering they were drafted in the same year and Jenkins was drafted a few rounds earlier 🤷‍♂️

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
He's making more than Teven, and he sucks. I think it's bad business to not cut him and save $3M but that's just me.
@gallagher
I hear you - it is bad business to carry dead weight but I wouldn't say that Borom is in that category. Have you considered how the salary cap rules are structured? There is a minimum spending clause in the CBA that would require the team to average 90% of the salary cap to be spent on rotating 3-year periods. Falling short of that amount would require Poles to spend that cash to players that were on the roster at that time anyway. Right now, Poles has spent 93% of his 2024 cap and cutting Borom only moves that to 92% spent. Borom only has one year left on his contract, and so carrying that extra 1% now has the opportunity to allow Poles to cut 1% in a more meaningful way in 2026 (the next league year where that total is calculated). In 2026 I would expect Poles to cut weight to have the roster table in place for Caleb's big contract extension. If Trevor Lawrence's contract is a good indicator, nearly 40% of that signing bonus will be assigned to the 2027 contract year.

All that to say, cutting $3M today doesn't have to happen. I think that the team can afford to carry the best backup they have and that might be Borom. It doesn't have to be him, but the bad business decision is to cut a better player when you do not have to, and so it comes down to which backups play better. I also don't want to hold it against him that he get's paid more than Jenkins; Borom's contract was back-loaded and 80% of it is due this year.

Last edited:

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I hear you - it is bad business to carry dead weight but I wouldn't say that Borom is in that category. Have you considered how the salary cap rules are structured? There is a minimum spending clause in the CBA that would require the team to average 90% of the salary cap to be spent on rotating 3-year periods. Falling short of that amount would require Poles to spend that cash to players that were on the roster at that time anyway. Right now, Poles has spent 93% of his 2024 cap and cutting Borom only moves that to 92% spent. Borom only has one year left on his contract, and so carrying that extra 1% now has the opportunity to allow Poles to cut 1% in a more meaningful way in 2026 (the next league year where that total is calculated).

All that to say, cutting $3M today doesn't have to happen. I think that the team can afford to carry the best backup they have and that might be Borom. It doesn't have to be him, but the bad business decision is to cut a better player when you do not have to, and so it comes down to which backups play better. I also don't want to hold it against him that he get's paid more than Jenkins; Borom's contract was back-loaded and 80% of it is due this year.

No it wasn’t. He got a league mandated salary bump.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
No it wasn’t. He got a league mandated salary bump.
Ah, good to know. I just took a glance at the total figures on Sportrac.

He played a lot of snaps for this team and I would hate for him to lose that bump.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Borom is an average backup OT which makes him bad by starter standards but useful, especially when the only other backup OT on the roster is a rookie IAA player just coming off IR who may actually be a guard. Also cutting him would save only about $1.8m compared to Carter, which is like .7% of the cap.

I think the only question is whether they keep 10 OL and Carter is 10, or they let Carter go and keep 9.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We'll keep the guys and depth we know, and will upgrade at OL next year. I expect nearly ALL of our early picks to be OL. I hope they address an extra DE in FA and not the draft so we can draft T, C, G with our first three picks.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
We'll keep the guys and depth we know, and will upgrade at OL next year. I expect nearly ALL of our early picks to be OL. I hope they address an extra DE in FA and not the draft so we can draft T, C, G with our first three picks.
You'll be disappointed because I expect more picks spent on DL early than OL

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Pretty crazy that Poles is still building both the OL and DL 3 years in.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Draft seems skewed more towards defensive talent early. Focusing too much on need is how Pace got us into this mess. Just draft the best players available witjin reasons.

Pretty crazy that Poles is still building both the OL and DL 3 years in.

Not really. Only 8 players remain from Pace era so replaced 45 players in 3 offseasons. There was always going to some holes left over unless he was damn near perfect which no GM is.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would also say Caleb Williams is holding the ball 3.68 seconds. The difference is his sack rate is less than half of Fields. So the OL has been fine thus far.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Draft seems skewed more towards defensive talent early. Focusing too much on need is how Pace got us into this mess. Just draft the best players available witjin reasons.

Not really. Only 8 players remain from Pace era so replaced 45 players in 3 offseasons. There was always going to some holes left over unless he was damn near perfect which no GM is.
No it 100% is crazy that we're still building the trenches 3 years in.

You seem to be the only one that thinks Dexter is playing well and has collapsed the pocket multiple times.