***Official*** Chicago Bears Training Camp Thread!!! (Preamble to the Domination!) (FTO)

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
There's nothing arrogant about stating facts. I laid out clear facts.

1) Dexter struggled against the run last year, his PFF run grade was like 32.8. A 1-technique is primarily a run stopping DT.
2) His best games came when he lined up wider than a 3-technique or outright lined up as a defensive end.
3) Length wins better on the edge than it does inside.
4) He struggled with leverage last year because he is very tall for a DT
5)Dexter lost weight during the off-season which doesn't mesh well with the idea that he'll be a 1-technique
6) Does it fucking matter where he has success at? If he's a pass rushing DT that puts Sweat and others out towards a wide-9 set and they have more room to run stunts and more variable pass rushing schemes to get pressure up front that's overall a good thing to the Chicago Bears defense. I'd rather have him using his athleticism versus lining up as a 1-technique.
He was calling you arrogant, not that what you were saying is arrogant. I don't know about PFF stats - how do they grade someone vs the run? I recall Dexter playing well for a rookie last year in both pass and run defense.

There are lots of big men who have succeeded on the inside - Marcus Stroud and Big John Henderson would often switch spots before the snap, and bully the inside as mammoths. I didn't know you felt that a 1 tech was such a limited role - they are often key players for stunts, and someone of his size is a bigger (no pun intended) threat to knock a pass. Pressure from the A gap from a DT leads to interceptions and misfires all the time. In fact, that is where a lot of his highlights from last year came from.

His struggles looked to me to be natural for what he was working on last offseason - in college, he was asked to be the last out of his stance and read-and-react to the play, and last year he was working on shooting out of his stance. He too often was shooting "up" instead of "out" last year. I think this is the essence of why I foresee looking for a stud 3 tech is going to be one of Poles next moves (next year).

Maybe I do not envision someone who succeeds as a 1 tech to be as limited a role as you do. I happen to agree that if he succeeds at 3 that it would be awesome. As for your point 6 - if it is true that it doesnt matter where he succeeds, then what is with the aggression?

---

@knoxville7 Remember when I mentioned to you that I was keeping an eye out for Walter Nolan? Can you imagine a prospect like that next to Dexter?

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
He is a really nice person IRL too. I hosted an event of his near the end of his Bears career.
Another fun player name, who is also really nice in the real world, is Israel Idonije. He is just a genuine, down to earth, and kind person. If given the chance to meet him, I am sure you would agree.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Another fun player name, who is also really nice in the real world, is Israel Idonije. He is just a genuine, down to earth, and kind person. If given the chance to meet him, I am sure you would agree.
He's awesome. Fluent in French too.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:

Sam Acho

He stole my girl but was another good person

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
in college, he was asked to be the last out of his stance and read-and-react to the play.

That's not what he was asked to do, that's what the Bears propaganda Twitter machine created to justify his selection.

Dexter was a bad pick last year and so everyone went into over drive to create a narrative about why he was so slow out of his stance.

The instant he was selected everyone went WTF? Followed by grabbing YouTube video of him showing just how bad he was getting off the ball.

Within 48 hours Bears Twitter went into full blown narrative recreation just like they did for Velus Jones Jr.

Then Dexter went out and struggled in a big way, especially against the run. Later in the season when Flus took over the defense and became more creative with the rushing scheme Dexter played better.

Dexter played better the further away from the center he was and specifically played better as a pass rusher.

At no time did he look like he was going to be a starting 3-technique or even a starting DT.

We'll see if there's a big jump from year one to year two.

But here we are two days into camp and the game guy that hyped up Chase Claypool on Twitter is already starting to hype up Dexter.

I'm a show me guy not a create a narrative for the sake of being a fan. If I'm arrogant if I'm pompous if I'm a prick I don't care. Show me the results on the field.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really am not super worried about it. Shelton has 30 starts at center in a similar offense and was middle of the road. Yes I want an ass kicker in there. But at this point I’ll take professional play and live with it.

My only concern is if Poles love for Bates doesn’t let the best center win

Well, at least they're making him earn it.

Better than Nagy's no competition, immediate starter BS

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd argue its already news in that here we go again.

We love what we have at center, we have 2 options! that's worked out fantastic the last several years.

What if the bears just had a clear cut starter at center and there wasn't a camp battle????

why are people so against competition?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But wait a second. Everybody's favorite ass to kiss, Brad Biggs, was pounding his fist all summer long insisting that Bates was the center and Shelton would not be given a shot....

Pfft....
Insufferable injustice collector.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Is it wierd that I'm happiest about the middle field dumps? Ball control with some shots is fine by me.
No, I think that is something that had been missing for a good amount of time.

I am interpreting this as the back is getting past the LOS before getting the ball, which is refreshing to hear. Those passes will help keep the team out of third and long situations, and keep drives going.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
That's not what he was asked to do, that's what the Bears propaganda Twitter machine created to justify his selection.

Dexter was a bad pick last year and so everyone went into over drive to create a narrative about why he was so slow out of his stance.

The instant he was selected everyone went WTF? Followed by grabbing YouTube video of him showing just how bad he was getting off the ball.

Within 48 hours Bears Twitter went into full blown narrative recreation just like they did for Velus Jones Jr.

Then Dexter went out and struggled in a big way, especially against the run. Later in the season when Flus took over the defense and became more creative with the rushing scheme Dexter played better.

Dexter played better the further away from the center he was and specifically played better as a pass rusher.

At no time did he look like he was going to be a starting 3-technique or even a starting DT.

But here we are two days into camp and the game guy that hyped up Chase Claypool on Twitter is already starting to hype up Dexter.

I'm a show me guy not a create a narrative for the sake of being a fan. If I'm arrogant if I'm pompous if I'm a prick I don't care. Show me the results on the field.
Do you have any shame talking to your dad like that?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

From Fishbain and Jahns:​

“Quick hits​

Coleman Shelton was the first-team center Sunday. Ryan Bates got the nod Saturday. “For us right now at the center position, we’ve got two guys that are just great pros and have a great overall understanding of it,” Waldron said. “So Caleb’s got a great comfort level with either/or right there.”

• Tight end Gerald Everett is being activated off the non-football injury list, so he should be available to practice Monday.

• Linebacker Noah Sewell, tight end Marcedes Lewis and wide receiver Nsimba Webster were not at practice.

• Wide receiver Rome Odunze returned after missing the first practice for a personal matter.

“It was great to have Rome back out there, working his way back into it,” Waldron said. “He already got a bonus with the way he worked in OTAs, the way he was initially here. I think he’s a guy that picks up right where he leaves off every single time.”

• The Bears signed linebacker Javin White, who was with them in the 2022 training camp. He most recently played for the Michigan Panthers of the USFL.”

Bears camp: Tyrique Stevenson's INT, Caleb Williams' deep ball, new safety tandemBears camp: Tyrique Stevenson’s INT, Caleb Williams’ deep ball, new safety tandem

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

From Fishbain and Jahns:​

“Quick hits​

Coleman Shelton was the first-team center Sunday. Ryan Bates got the nod Saturday. “For us right now at the center position, we’ve got two guys that are just great pros and have a great overall understanding of it,” Waldron said. “So Caleb’s got a great comfort level with either/or right there.”

• Tight end Gerald Everett is being activated off the non-football injury list, so he should be available to practice Monday.

• Linebacker Noah Sewell, tight end Marcedes Lewis and wide receiver Nsimba Webster were not at practice.

• Wide receiver Rome Odunze returned after missing the first practice for a personal matter.

“It was great to have Rome back out there, working his way back into it,” Waldron said. “He already got a bonus with the way he worked in OTAs, the way he was initially here. I think he’s a guy that picks up right where he leaves off every single time.”

• The Bears signed linebacker Javin White, who was with them in the 2022 training camp. He most recently played for the Michigan Panthers of the USFL.”

Bears camp: Tyrique Stevenson's INT, Caleb Williams' deep ball, new safety tandemBears camp: Tyrique Stevenson’s INT, Caleb Williams’ deep ball, new safety tandem
I dont have an account to read the link, can you summarize what it says on the new safety tandem?

Glad to see that Odunze and Everett are back. They may not get the volume of looks that Moore, Allen and Kmet are likely to have, but they will still make plenty of impact for Caleb this year.

msadows

Liked Posts:

Because your dumb ass thinks he was a bad pick doesnt mean the rest of us agree with you daniel.

Edit: So is Dexter the Darnell Wright of the defense? Saw enough in 400 snaps to know he's a mediocre bum?

Shocking you are driving school busses instead of working for an NFL front office.