***Official*** Chicago Bears Training Camp Thread!!! (Preamble to the Domination!) (FTO)

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Friday Training Camp notes via The Athletic:

“Hurry-up offense​

The offense got the ball at the 35-yard line with 80 seconds to go in an end-of-half situation as practice wrapped up Friday. A screen to Roschon Johnson for 8 yards got things started, but the Bears faced a third-and-2 after Williams had to throw the ball away.
On third down, he calmly and quickly got the ball to Rome Odunze, who ran a quick out route against Tyrique Stevenson, for the first down.

One snap later, Williams threw a strike over the middle to Keenan Allen for a big gain. He missed an open Odunze after a coverage gaffe, but then found the end zone when he rolled to his right and connected with Tyler Scott for a touchdown. The second-year wideout had a step on safety Jaquan Brisker and caught the score in the back of the end zone.

In the trenches​

With the pads on, we got our first glimpse of the one-on-one pass rush drills. Here are a few notes and observations:

• Sweat kicked things off by beating Darnell Wright around the edge with his speed.

• Bates won his rep against Zacch Pickenswith power and good footwork, moving Pickens away from the quarterback.

• Sweat and Dominique Robinson tallied back-to-back wins against Aviante Collins, with Robinson showing off his speed in his rep.

• Rookie Austin Booker showed off an impressive inside move to beat Ja’Tyre Carter.

• Defensive end Daniel Hardy, who flushed Williams from the pocket on his touchdown at the end of practice, continues to flash with his quickness in camp.

One of the highlights of the team drills came on the line. Gervon Dexter judged the snap perfectly and showed his great get-off as he got into the backfield for a tackle for loss.

Rookie punter wows​

A slow start for the offense meant the biggest cheer of camp — the first practice open to the public — came in the punting period.

Though, maybe it would’ve anyway, considering what an attraction rookie Tory Taylor is.

Taylor dropped a punt perfectly out-of-bounds at the 1-yard line, drawing enthusiasm from special teams coordinator Richard Hightower and plenty of applause.

“We focused on one thing with him this week, and he delivered above and beyond and executed on that today,” said Hightower, who wouldn’t go into detail about what that was but did say Taylor was “awesome” and showing consistency.

Quick hits​

• One of the most productive plays for the first-team offense came on a well-designed and executed tight end screen to Everett.

• Running back Khalil Herbert has had a good start to camp, and while it’s always challenging to evaluate run play, he had a nice cutback for a big gain to start 11-on-11 drills.

• Safety Adrian Colbert intercepted a Bagent pass in team drills. “I threw my first pick today,” Bagent said. “That’s never fun, but it’s great to be able to see what works and what doesn’t work with different coverages and concepts that we’re installing.”

• Defensive end Jacob Martin left practice with an unknown injury.

• Cornerback Kyler Gordon, wide receiver Nsimba Webster and linebacker Noah Sewell were present but not participating. Tight end Marcedes Lewis had a vet day.”

There’s much more at the link below.

Bears camp: Caleb Williams steps into middle of first scuffle, fires TD in hurry-upBears camp: Caleb Williams steps into middle of first scuffle, fires TD in hurry-up

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

Hurry-up offense​

In the trenches​

Rookie punter wows​

Quick hits​

Good stuff!

It sounds like the offense is aiming for first down throws on first down. How unbelievably refreshing.

Those trench battles are interesting - I am curious to hear about Jenkins after every practice. There is a video in this thread (I believe) where Jenkins displays excellent technique in a 1-on-1 drill. If he can have a big year and stay healthy, he's going to be the man giving Williams a place to step up to deliver a strike.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Also, what is up with this Daniel Hardy? That little blurb about continuing to display quickness can draw some attention - what's his story?

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Good stuff!

It sounds like the offense is aiming for first down throws on first down. How unbelievably refreshing.

Those trench battles are interesting - I am curious to hear about Jenkins after every practice. There is a video in this thread (I believe) where Jenkins displays excellent technique in a 1-on-1 drill. If he can have a big year and stay healthy, he's going to be the man giving Williams a place to step up to deliver a strike.
That’s impossible. I’m pretty sure this was banned in cook county starting in 1991.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Robert Schmitz is hardly the representation for all media. I mean that tweet has 4 reposts and 127 likes and less than 8000views.
Didn't say anything anyway. Had a good period and hope it relates to the season. It's big nothing burger. I wouldn't dismiss Schmitz either, he's not bad.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Look, I’ve never had a beef with you quite like others have, so this is coming from a genuine place of curiosity and bewilderment…

Why do you care so much about Dexter? It feels like you have disliked the pick from the start, and because of that, you feel the need to knock him down if others are pumping him up. Why do you let that bother you?

Does your need to be correct override the enjoyment and success of the Bears? It honestly feels like, if given the option, you would choose Dexter sucking over him dominating and helping the Bears win games, just so you could be right. It’s a pathetic look. Why do you do it?

And don’t say it’s because you wish the media would cover guys like Odunze more than Dexter. That’s BS. You can find plenty of Odunze articles and “tweets” if you look. It has nothing to do with the coverage of him, and everything to do with what you perceive as people prematurely getting their hopes up about him here on the message board. So what if people are overly optimistic? Why do you let that bother you? Let people be optimistic about whoever they want.

There are times when the fat jokes and bus driver jokes are unnecessary and uncalled for. Personally, I’m not one to bring someone’s personal life into a sports message board discussion. But it’s hard to feel bad for you when you are constantly so negative and feel the need to argue with so many people. Just try enjoying the Bears and enjoying productive discussion. It’s a much better way to live life.

The coverage of Dexter is forced coverage and lazy.

The Bears forced a narrative upon us.

1). Because of how awful he was
2). Because they didn't bring in legit player to replace Justin Jones.
3) it's turned into the story of camp because the Bears want you to know that he did the defensive end conditioning test. You can't get more forced narrative than that. Look at this guy he's so much better because he worked out with the defensive ends!
4). No there hasn't been the same level of coverage dedicated to Odunze nor has there been the same level of coverage dedicated to other players. Believe me I've looked for specific Odunze coverage and the best you get is the Bears might have him returning punts.

I don't like it when the media has a story for forced upon them, it's lazy journalism and I'm tired of lazy journalism from the Chicago Bears media that entirely backfires.

I'm also tired of meatball media that creates positive news just for the sake of positive news where there's no evidence to back it up. Just like the Tweet I quoted in my last post.

Once that positive narrative takes hold it becomes toxic because more often than not it fails.

Last year it was the Justin Fields and Chase Claypool talk. Justin Fields said he was going to throw for 4,000 yards. Maybe get to 3,000 first Justin.

Chase Claypool was practicing with a chip on his shoulder and practicing better than he ever did before. His first game was so awful it ultimately led to the Bears cutting him.

So yes when a player is forced upon us with positive news and even one of the mods calls it out and sees it taking shape I laugh. I'm not angry at any of the fans for falling for it. But I am angry at the lack of work being done by the so called journalists at camp because I've seen them work. I've been to practices where the entire gaggle of reporters stands around and talks about their golf games or fishing expeditions rather than fully paying attention to what's happening in practice.

Years ago I got to see it happen Shea McClellin was awful, Kyle Long was horrible when he was taking reps at right tackle.

The Bears are masters at forcing positive news upon the media and then the fans.

Screenshot_20240727-071711.pngFor fuck sake look at how much positive news Matt Eberflus hair cut beard and wardrobe got him. Suddenly Eberflus is a possible coach of the year candidate! The media obsessed over a fucking haircut.

Cody Whitehair moving to center. Cody Whitehair was horrible at center. He had issues snapping the football the first time around that's why they moved him back to guard. They even changed the way he snapped the ball to try and fix it the first time around.

Ryan Poles makes the move talks about how much Whitehair played at center and suddenly the lack of investment in a center is miraculously fixed! Then games start and surprise Cody Whitehair sucks again.

So yes most recently Justin Fields 4,000 yard prediction HE'S AN MVP CANDIDATE! Chase Claypool, Matt Eberflus haircut COACH OF THE YEAR! and Cody Whitehair moving back to center HE'S PLAYED THERE BEFORE! Darnell Wright DID THE WR CONDITIONING TEST! Were bullshit stories forced upon the fans.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Just a shout out to my man Zack and the hard work he’s putting in writing really great articles on the Bear Report. If you don’t have subscription. What are you waiting for!

Why would I pay for a subscription when CCS has Pulitzer prize winning writers like @JordanSigler and super football minds like @DanielCCSBears?

Green text

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

“Hurry-up offense​

The offense got the ball at the 35-yard line with 80 seconds to go in an end-of-half situation as practice wrapped up Friday. A screen to Roschon Johnson for 8 yards got things started, but the Bears faced a third-and-2 after Williams had to throw the ball away.
On third down, he calmly and quickly got the ball to Rome Odunze, who ran a quick out route against Tyrique Stevenson, for the first down.

One snap later, Williams threw a strike over the middle to Keenan Allen for a big gain. He missed an open Odunze after a coverage gaffe, but then found the end zone when he rolled to his right and connected with Tyler Scott for a touchdown. The second-year wideout had a step on safety Jaquan Brisker and caught the score in the back of the end zone.

In the trenches​

With the pads on, we got our first glimpse of the one-on-one pass rush drills. Here are a few notes and observations:

• Sweat kicked things off by beating Darnell Wright around the edge with his speed.

• Bates won his rep against Zacch Pickenswith power and good footwork, moving Pickens away from the quarterback.

• Sweat and Dominique Robinson tallied back-to-back wins against Aviante Collins, with Robinson showing off his speed in his rep.

• Rookie Austin Booker showed off an impressive inside move to beat Ja’Tyre Carter.

• Defensive end Daniel Hardy, who flushed Williams from the pocket on his touchdown at the end of practice, continues to flash with his quickness in camp.

One of the highlights of the team drills came on the line. Gervon Dexter judged the snap perfectly and showed his great get-off as he got into the backfield for a tackle for loss.

Rookie punter wows​

A slow start for the offense meant the biggest cheer of camp — the first practice open to the public — came in the punting period.

Though, maybe it would’ve anyway, considering what an attraction rookie Tory Taylor is.

Taylor dropped a punt perfectly out-of-bounds at the 1-yard line, drawing enthusiasm from special teams coordinator Richard Hightower and plenty of applause.

“We focused on one thing with him this week, and he delivered above and beyond and executed on that today,” said Hightower, who wouldn’t go into detail about what that was but did say Taylor was “awesome” and showing consistency.

Quick hits​

• One of the most productive plays for the first-team offense came on a well-designed and executed tight end screen to Everett.

• Running back Khalil Herbert has had a good start to camp, and while it’s always challenging to evaluate run play, he had a nice cutback for a big gain to start 11-on-11 drills.

• Safety Adrian Colbert intercepted a Bagent pass in team drills. “I threw my first pick today,” Bagent said. “That’s never fun, but it’s great to be able to see what works and what doesn’t work with different coverages and concepts that we’re installing.”

• Defensive end Jacob Martin left practice with an unknown injury.

• Cornerback Kyler Gordon, wide receiver Nsimba Webster and linebacker Noah Sewell were present but not participating. Tight end Marcedes Lewis had a vet day.”

There’s much more at the link below.

Bears camp: Caleb Williams steps into middle of first scuffle, fires TD in hurry-upBears camp: Caleb Williams steps into middle of first scuffle, fires TD in hurry-up
There should be more coverage like this and less coverage of Matt Eberflus' hair cut and skinny jeans.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
It's bananas how personally invested he is in having ppl chit all over him on a message board.

It's a kink.
Coprophilia, also called scatophilia or scat, is the paraphilia involving sexual arousal and pleasure from feces.

He just likes people shitting on him, be it figuratively or literally.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Apparently you do care because you're still here and still arguing with me.

By this logic you are emotionally invested in Dexter because you keep talking about him despite claiming you arent.

Also you are still confused. I have not argued or disagreed with your opinion on his rookie year so again no one cares about that. My only engagement with you on this topic was trying to understand why you felt the need to shit on others for having an optimistic opinion about his 2024.

So again his 2023 is now irrelevant. All anyone really cares about is his 2024 so not sure why you still crying about 2023.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Holy shit @DanielCCSBears is in so many of you guys' heads. This is the worst training camp thread we've had in a while because of it. He does say some stupid shit with the latest being him not even knowing they were practicing in pads but just use the ignore function or use the adult ignore function and don't respond. I mean i get that it gets you a ton of likes to go after him and @Black Rainbow (nobody knows this more than @msadows) but i don't understand why those likes are so needed by you guys.

I mean i'm possibly/definitely the most well liked poster on here so i guess i could mentor him some for you guys so he could be on a more positive note around here if you guys like? Dislike that.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Here’s one for you @DanielCCSBears. It’s today’s “Chase Claypool” report.

“-- Dexter notched several "sacks," while linebacker T.J. Edwards and Brisker also got to the quarterback in the backfield.

-- Dexter not only created constant pressure but blew up several of the Bears' run plays on Friday. Dexter reshaped his body in the offseason and arrived at camp confident in his ability to take a leap in Year 2. That work and confidence showed up Friday.

"He's a good player," Shelton said of Dexter. "He's long, he plays hard, he plays through the whistle, he's the type of guy who never lets up. You've really gotta finish your block every time when you go against him."

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This shit is getting ridiculous. He's 5 practices in and on the cusp of being the difference maker? This is crazy hyperbolic. There's no way to gauge that level of major improvement after 5 practices one practice in pads.

The bullshit fan media exaggeration that happened last year with Chase Claypool is happening with Dexter after 5 practices. There's not a single level headed statement or evaluation happening with him.

He didn't play that well last year so to jump to the conclusion that he's suddenly going to be good right out of the gate is silly.

Like Jack Sanborn as a rookie played well. Even Braxton Jones played better comparatively to Gervon Dexter when he was a rookie. Darnell Wright played well comparatively to Dexter.

If Wright is going to improve on the same plane as Dexter is predicted to Wright will be the best OT in the league this year.

But Williams and Scott look great after 5 practices? Only Dexter isnt allowed to play well or improve.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Oh shit, now Remy's involved with going at Daniel so this thread is truly fucked now.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
But Williams and Scott look after 5 practices?
Again I've already said it. There's only one way to judge Caleb Williams it's based on what he's done in practice because he hasn't played a game yet. There will be plenty of time to judge him more after he plays a game.

The book on Dexter is show me in the games because he was so miserable in games last year. Much like I didn't obsess over Chase Claypool or Justin Fields in seven on seven a year ago. SHOW ME IN THE GAMES.

That's the difference between Williams and Dexter. As soon as Williams goes through a few games we'll know more about him. For right now it's shits and giggles mostly because of how much better he is than Justin Fields.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Holy shit @DanielCCSBears is in so many of you guys' heads. This is the worst training camp thread we've had in a while because of it. He does say some stupid shit with the latest being him not even knowing they were practicing in pads but just use the ignore function or use the adult ignore function and don't respond. I mean i get that it gets you a ton of likes to go after him and @Black Rainbow (nobody knows this more than @msadows) but i don't understand why those likes are so needed by you guys.

I mean i'm possibly/definitely the most well liked poster on here so i guess i could mentor him some for you guys so he could be on a more positive note around here if you guys like? Dislike that.
and this helps how?