***Official*** Chicago Bears Training Camp Thread!!! (Preamble to the Domination!) (FTO)

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
It's not your fault.

There has been little mention of it in the media as well. My tone was supposed to be more sarcastic rather than a direct attack upon you.

There's been miniscule mention of it because everyone has been focused on Dexter this week.

It's yet another example of the lazy journalism that infuriates me.

There's also another one and I don't know how credible it is because again no one has chosen to cover it.

The other bit of lazy journalism is the kid from Yale may never play a down in the NFL. Last year he tore his quadriceps muscle completely off the bone and usually when that happens there's reportedly a 50-50 chance that player never plays again.

It was only one Tweet that I read about it but it was a very well informed tweet and it made it seem very credible. So take it with a grain of salt. But yes the Bears medical staff may have fucked up so bad on a third round draft picks injury evaluation that there's a chance (I don't know how big or small) he may never play a down in the NFL.
If it has received so little coverage, shouldn't the fact that one tweet shares this (regardless of how well-informed it appears to be) reduce credibility? I would honestly read your article on the subject to the topic, but would you honestly use that tweet for any reason to make that article?

Also, Kiran suffered a partial, not a complete tear. The Mayo Clinic suggests that proper sports medicine rehab will have him minimally recovered in four-to-six months, with full recovery within a year. It sounds gruesome to detail but the MC suggests that it isn't a terrible thing to overcome. It doesn't sound like he's 50/50 to ever play again, and I wonder if you can send me a source that would suggest otherwise.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If it has received so little coverage, shouldn't the fact that one tweet shares this (regardless of how well-informed it appears to be) reduce credibility? I would honestly read your article on the subject to the topic, but would you honestly use that tweet for any reason to make that article?

Also, Kiran suffered a partial, not a complete tear. The Mayo Clinic suggests that proper sports medicine rehab will have him minimally recovered in four-to-six months, with full recovery within a year. It sounds gruesome to detail but the MC suggests that it isn't a terrible thing to overcome. It doesn't sound like he's 50/50 to ever play again, and I wonder if you can send me a source that would suggest otherwise.
Screenshot_20240727-082909.png

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:

He's rookie season is pretty much toast at this point. Why do we draft these guys?

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I looked him up - he is a real PT. But "50% of NFL players who experience a quadriceps rupture may never play again" is not a 50-50 chance. Reading it closer, he says that half of players who experience this injury have experience a chance at not playing ever again. That does not imply a 50% fail rate. The tweet also doesn't separate a partial rupture from a complete rupture, which seems key to me (not a doctor).

You'll notice that he is carefully couching his statement in a way that doesn't put his PT license at risk by implying a diagnosis. I'd suggest that it is more likely that this tweet was designed to increase his brand recognition and increase patients. That isn't to say that a quad injury is something to dismiss - but I think this tweet got you to take your eye off the ball.

The injury sounds gruesome but I think we can expect him to have a reasonable time table to return (which he is still within). I'd preach patience here.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I looked him up - he is a real PT. But "50% of NFL players who experience a quadriceps rupture may never play again" is not a 50-50 chance. Reading it closer, he says that half of players who experience this injury have experience a chance at not playing ever again. That does not imply a 50% fail rate. The tweet also doesn't separate a partial rupture from a complete rupture, which seems key to me (not a doctor).

You'll notice that he is carefully couching his statement in a way that doesn't put his PT license at risk by implying a diagnosis. I'd suggest that it is more likely that this tweet was designed to increase his brand recognition and increase patients. That isn't to say that a quad injury is something to dismiss - but I think this tweet got you to take your eye off the ball.

The injury sounds gruesome but I think we can expect him to have a reasonable time table to return (which he is still within). I'd preach patience here.

Wouldn't it seem though that the Chicago Bears media should be diving deeper into this as a story instead of completely ignoring it?

Basically the Bears put him on the injured list after saying he would be back for training camp and that was the end of it.

Yeah it's probably a nothing burger for the offensive line because Braxton Jones will start and Larry Borom will back him up.

But fuck it's not like they don't have more pressing needs that a third round pick could have filled. Future center drafted in that spot to develop behind a veteran?

They have Bates and Borom who can play offensive tackle fill out your roster with a center for the future instead of an OT recovering from a serious quad injury that only played 4 games.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Again I've already said it. There's only one way to judge Caleb Williams it's based on what he's done in practice because he hasn't played a game yet. There will be plenty of time to judge him more after he plays a game.

The book on Dexter is show me in the games because he was so miserable in games last year. Much like I didn't obsess over Chase Claypool or Justin Fields in seven on seven a year ago. SHOW ME IN THE GAMES.

That's the difference between Williams and Dexter. As soon as Williams goes through a few games we'll know more about him. For right now it's shits and giggles mostly because of how much better he is than Justin Fields.

Even if I accept that self serving answer on Williams, it doesnt explain Tyler Scott who was also shit in games last year but who you said looks fantastic. His PFF grade was 52.7 last year.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Even if I accept that self serving answer on Williams, it doesnt explain Tyler Scotr who was also shit in games last year but who you said looks fantastic. His PFF grade was 52.7 last year.
Don't forget Daniel has been really positive on Scott in this thread because of a week of good practices

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Even if I accept that self serving answer on Williams, it doesnt explain Tyler Scott who was also shit in games last year but who you said looks fantastic. His PFF grade was 52.7 last year.
See in reality you say you are sick and tired of me but yet you can't wait to pick a fight with me.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's not your fault.

There has been little mention of it in the media as well. My tone was supposed to be more sarcastic rather than a direct attack upon you.

There's been miniscule mention of it because everyone has been focused on Dexter this week.

It's yet another example of the lazy journalism that infuriates me.

There's also another one and I don't know how credible it is because again no one has chosen to cover it.

The other bit of lazy journalism is the kid from Yale may never play a down in the NFL. Last year he tore his quadriceps muscle completely off the bone and usually when that happens there's reportedly a 50-50 chance that player never plays again.

It was only one Tweet that I read about it but it was a very well informed tweet and it made it seem very credible. So take it with a grain of salt. But yes the Bears medical staff may have fucked up so bad on a third round draft picks injury evaluation that there's a chance (I don't know how big or small) he may never play a down in the NFL.

So doctors that have actually seen Kiran are less credible than physical therapist that hasnt?

The media hasnt reported on this heavily because this is just wild speculation from a physical therapist that actually hasnt seen Kiran.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
See in reality you say you are sick and tired of me but yet you can't wait to pick a fight with me.

Except I never said I am sick and tired of you. I dont get into the personal insults stuff so dont confuse me with others.

Now you going to stop deflecting and answer why you so giddy about Scott after a shit year last year and 5 practices?

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Wouldn't it seem though that the Chicago Bears media should be diving deeper into this as a story instead of completely ignoring it?

Basically the Bears put him on the injured list after saying he would be back for training camp and that was the end of it.

Yeah it's probably a nothing burger for the offensive line because Braxton Jones will start and Larry Borom will back him up.

But fuck it's not like they don't have more pressing needs that a third round pick could have filled. Future center drafted in that spot to develop behind a veteran?

They have Bates and Borom who can play offensive tackle fill out your roster with a center for the future instead of an OT recovering from a serious quad injury that only played 4 games.
Well, honestly, right now I think the sports media is aiming for optimism. "It's that time of the year," ya know? You gotta get on in that eyeball-economy. Aside from driving clicks, there just doesn't seem like a whole lot to investigate.

If you were to write an article and start a thread on it, I'd give it a read (I'm clearly willing to converse on it). A recovering player is not an uninteresting topic, and it is on a player we all want to see make a positive impact. News-worthiness: check! But there's just nothing to write on other than guessing at a medical diagnosis, and complaining about the draft pick.

I think that if the team were relying on him to start, you might have something there. If this were the same situation last year, and we were talking about Tyrique Stevenson, we would share the same opinion. But I think drafting a backup tackle, guard, and center are about of equal need, and I am not bothered if Poles rolls the dice on a talent that needs time to recover.

I do hope you've been relieved of the concern that there is a 50/50 chance at recovery. I think your eyes got big at first glance with that one.

msadows

Liked Posts:
So doctors that have actually seen Kiran are less credible than physical therapist that hasnt?

The media hasnt reported on this heavily because this is just wild speculation from a physical therapist that actually hasnt seen Kiran.

There are also plenty of players that dropped because of injuries. Kiran likely would have been a high 2nd rounder if he was fully healthy with his tools and build.

Just look at keenan allen, dude was suppose to be a 1st rounder and went in the 3rd due to injury concerns. Seems like it worked out for the chargers.

I'm not concerned about a quad, I would be concerned if it was a back or neck issue like tev

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Don't forget Daniel has been really positive on Scott in this thread because of a week of good practices
To get back to positive news for off-season discussion - what do you think Scott can do with 25 targets? Can't wait to see the next camp highlight!

Moses Moreno

Liked Posts:
To be frank, I'm travelling for work (and with a significant time zone change, sleep has been hard to come by) and at times skip several pages in this thread when there are five pages of pessimism when I'm looking for optimism. I don't want social media accounts to keep up with the up-to-the-minute conversation, so it's remarkably easy to miss something significant.

Several replies to something I said have asked for my take on Dexter, and his is a name I have been looking out for. I still don't understand why you are bent out of shape over being rosy for a second-year DL.
The media has been speaking highly of Dexter since last off-season and pretty freaking quiet on Pickens. Pickens clearly isn't as impressive as Dexter and if this were all blind propaganda - you'd be hearing equal talk on each kid because both dudes have roughly equal draft status.

Dexter physical tools and mindset clearly has impressed - who knows how good he'll actually be but being a second rounder it's not crazy by any stretch to think he could be a difference making starter.

This is a defensive head coach with a new DC who's known for developing DL players. Sweatn and Justin Jones raised the level of their play upon coming here, Stevenson, Brisker, Gordon, and Sanborn (and even Smith) have all been pretty good fairly quickly so they've shown an ability to identify and develop young talent quickly on the offensive side of the ball.

Acting as if Dexter taking a step forward because they let Justin Jones walk is some sort of major conspiracy theory is a nice "touch grass" moment.

msadows

Liked Posts:
To get back to positive news for off-season discussion - what do you think Scott can do with 25 targets? Can't wait to see the next camp highlight!

25 targets and an average of 25 yards per catch.

Scott's gonna be strictly used as a deep threat and I'm here for it

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Big question on Scott is if he shows enough this year to make moving on from Allen more palatable?

Personally given where WR salaries are I would draft WR every year. Especially if Williams is legit and we will have to pay him $60-65 million a year eventually.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

The Bears medical staff has a horrible history of clearing guys. That in and of itself should give you pause.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Big question on Scott is if he shows enough this year to make moving on from Allen more palatable?

Personally given where WR salaries are I would draft WR every year. Especially if Williams is legit and we will have to pay him $60-65 million a year eventually.

You know the cap more than I do but how can they even afford allen next year and not end up hurting other parts of the team?