***Official*** Chicago Bears Training Camp Thread!!! (Preamble to the Domination!) (FTO)

DaBears3434

Liked Posts:
See in reality you say you are sick and tired of me but yet you can't wait to pick a fight with me.
“You’re right, the Scott optimism is a little hypocritical of me. I’ll admit that. I guess I’m just overly optimistic about the offense because of Caleb.”

“Ah, my bad. I looked at that clip too quickly and didn’t realize they had pads on. My mistake.”

“Sorry, not sure what I was thinking with that Tyrique comment. He was definitely better in the second half of the season. My bad.”

You should try comments like these every once in a while. Instead, you just ignore the mistake you made and plow forward with whatever point you’re hoping to make.

Canth

Liked Posts:
The one thing I would like to add into the discussion about Gervon Dexter, Tyler Scott, and others is that it is generally understood and accepted that the biggest jump for most players is from year 1 to 2. They have had a chance to experience the NFL and a full offseason to improve - especially in their bodies with weight room and conditioning.

So, I don't understand why it is so hard to think that both players could really be different this year with that jump. Same for Pickens or Wright.

One of the differences with Claypool and Fields with all the talk last year was that they were not going from year 1 to 2. Now, there was belief that more experience in the offense and a full offseason for Claypool would make a difference. Obviously, that was not the case. As an aside, Claypool was not cut. He was traded along with a 7th to the Dolphins for a 6th in 2025.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Big question on Scott is if he shows enough this year to make moving on from Allen more palatable?

Personally given where WR salaries are I would draft WR every year. Especially if Williams is legit and we will have to pay him $60-65 million a year eventually.

I would that they also need to draft OL every year. So, minimum 2 draft picks every year for offense: WR and OL.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Another thing I would add that is more of a concern for me now than entering camp is the OL. I know this defense is expected to be pretty damn good, based on how they finished last season. But it seems like too common of a theme right now of the DL winning the line of scrimmage. I know pads only came on yesterday and DL has the advantage and all that. But...

I expected this OL to be serviceable. Not light's out or anything, but serviceable. We will see what really happens when the games start, but right now that is by far my biggest concern, even more than pass rusher now.

Moses Moreno

Liked Posts:
Big question on Scott is if he shows enough this year to make moving on from Allen more palatable?

Personally given where WR salaries are I would draft WR every year. Especially if Williams is legit and we will have to pay him $60-65 million a year eventually.
I doubt Allen stays beyond this year even if Scott lays an egg - just too much money/draft capital tied up in Moore/Kmet/Rome.

If Scott doesn't show anything - they'll find a WR3 in the draft or FA but he's in a great spot to earn that job next year.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

With the roster space for WRs, I'm not against the idea of drafting a WR every year, especially if you have one or two locked down like this team will have with Moore and Odunze. And hey, if Scott and Jones don't cut mustard this year, no sweat, back to the draft.

Worst case scenario - I do wonder if Poles can let Allen test the market and let Allen know he's willing to talk about matching the best offer. Keenan Allen and Hopkins are in the same draft class, and they both signed 4 year deals in 2020 (with Allen making less at that time). Hopkins ended up getting released from his contract early, and signed a two year contract in free agency last year, and now he is making several million less than Allen. As a bonus point of comparison, they will enter free agency together next year - my best bet is that Allen and Hopkins are going to fetch comparable amounts, and the annual rate will be no higher than what Hopkins makes today.

And if that is the case - Keenan Allen is incredibly affordable.

Hopkins Contract

Allen Contract

Chicago Bears 2025 Cap Table

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If it has received so little coverage, shouldn't the fact that one tweet shares this (regardless of how well-informed it appears to be) reduce credibility? I would honestly read your article on the subject to the topic, but would you honestly use that tweet for any reason to make that article?

Also, Kiran suffered a partial, not a complete tear. The Mayo Clinic suggests that proper sports medicine rehab will have him minimally recovered in four-to-six months, with full recovery within a year. It sounds gruesome to detail but the MC suggests that it isn't a terrible thing to overcome. It doesn't sound like he's 50/50 to ever play again, and I wonder if you can send me a source that would suggest otherwise.

It was a tweet last week by some twitter trainer or some shit who follows the Bears. I would think the Bears obviously have good info on the injury and wouldn’t have drafted a 50/50 guy. Poles isn’t that dumb

msadows

Liked Posts:
I doubt Allen stays beyond this year even if Scott lays an egg - just too much money/draft capital tied up in Moore/Kmet/Rome.

If Scott doesn't show anything - they'll find a WR3 in the draft or FA but he's in a great spot to earn that job next year.

Mt. Everest also had like 70 targets a year the past couple seasons and he's here for 2 years.

I'd be shocked if KA is back.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
It was a tweet last week by some twitter trainer or some shit who follows the Bears. I would think the Bears obviously have good info on the injury and wouldn’t have drafted a 50/50 guy. Poles isn’t that dumb
Yeah I did see that. It does look like a PT doing his own marketing in Twitter.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You know the cap more than I do but how can they even afford allen next year and not end up hurting other parts of the team?

They have 47 as of now and the only two big free agents next year are Keenan and Teven. So if they want him back they absolutely can.

And there’s several guys who are easily released to clear up more.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To be frank, I'm travelling for work (and with a significant time zone change, sleep has been hard to come by) and at times skip several pages in this thread when there are five pages of pessimism when I'm looking for optimism. I don't want social media accounts to keep up with the up-to-the-minute conversation, so it's remarkably easy to miss something significant.

Several replies to something I said have asked for my take on Dexter, and his is a name I have been looking out for. I still don't understand why you are bent out of shape over being rosy for a second-year DL.
I have two concerns about Dexter
  • He sometimes plays high, which is natural when you're 6'6.
  • Teams are not going to be surprised when the regular season comes and he's "hugging" QBs because of how he's going to show out in the preseason.
Barring injury, he's going to be a 9 sack defensive tackle. And he's going to bat down a lot of balls.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah I did see that. It does look like a PT doing his own marketing in Twitter.
I guess y'all missed the part where I said take it with a grain of salt. I'm not stating it as some sort of biblical fact from God almighty. I'm saying it demands more coverage than Matt Eberflus wardrobe change that just had another story written about it a day ago by ESPN.

Canth

Liked Posts:

Yeah, this is the same new Front Office that walked away from their first FA signing due to medical concerns.

Which is not to say that are no concerns with Amegadjie's recovery. We have no way of knowing if he is on track, behind, or ahead of schedule. From the moment he was drafted, I thought he was a depth piece for this year and then would be expected to compete for a starting role next year. Hopefully they can still get value from him this year in a depth role.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I guess y'all missed the part where I said take it with a grain of salt. I'm not stating it as some sort of biblical fact from God almighty. I'm saying it demands more coverage than Matt Eberflus wardrobe change that just had another story written about it a day ago by ESPN.
I didn't miss that. I actually responded to it fully, with due consideration that it was one PT.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I have two concerns about Dexter
  • He sometimes plays high, which is natural when you're 6'6.
  • Teams are not going to be surprised when the regular season comes and he's "hugging" QBs because of how he's going to show out in the preseason.
Barring injury, he's going to be a 9 sack defensive tackle. And he's going to bat down a lot of balls.

I already #calledit that he's gonna have a better year than jalen carter.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Just to stir the pot…

What if Rome goes off as a legit young WR1?

Keenan plays well and signs a 2-3 year deal at a reasonable rate. (Great WR’s like him can play well into mid 30’s)

Scott becomes a good #3 on a rookie deal?

Cole and Swift do their jobs.

Do you trade DJ next year if someone gives you a high pick?

He’s still under contract in 2025.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just to stir the pot…

Keenan plays well and signs a 2-3 year deal at a reasonable rate. (Great WR’s like him can play well into mid 30’s)

No.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Just to stir the pot…

Short answer is no, I would not trade DJ next year.

If DJ and Keenan both have good years and Scott looks like he can be a #3, I would put the resources into DJ and let Keenan walk.

I also don't think there is any way that Keenan would take a below market deal if he has another top 10 production year in the NFL.