***Official*** Chicago Bears Training Camp Thread!!! (Preamble to the Domination!) (FTO)

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Just to stir the pot…

What if Rome goes off as a legit young WR1?

Keenan plays well and signs a 2-3 year deal at a reasonable rate. (Great WR’s like him can play well into mid 30’s)

Scott becomes a good #3 on a rookie deal?

Cole and Swift do their jobs.

Do you trade DJ next year if someone gives you a high pick?

He’s still under contract in 2025.
You want to have ACTUAL football discussion?

I prefer DJ Moore and his youth and consistency over Keenan Allen. Nothing wrong with your premise I just prefer the guy that's younger and gone for over 1,000 yards in 4 of his past 5 seasons and is 5 years younger. Moore is trending towards being what Allen has been. If the next 5 years are DJ Moore and he looks like Keenan Allen has that's the better value.

msadows

Liked Posts:

I prefer DJ Moore and his youth and consistency over Keenan Allen. Nothing wrong with your premise I just prefer the guy that's younger and gone for over 1,000 yards in 4 of his past 5 seasons and is 5 years younger. Moore is trending towards being what Allen has been. If the next 5 years are DJ Moore and he looks like Keenan Allen has that's the better value.

DJ Moore should retire a bear.

KA should be allowed to leave and go live in LA again.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
They have 47 as of now and the only two big free agents next year are Keenan and Teven. So if they want him back they absolutely can.

And there’s several guys who are easily released to clear up more.
Follow up to add - Chicago has no dead weight on the books and is expecting nearly $60M in cap space next season.

I'd honestly would predict that Chicago makes a splash signing next year on a player to really increase the competitiveness of the team. If Williams is the real deal, then the next step is to close in on winning the division.

The ideal target is coming off his rookie contract, so that you can expect that he will remain productive for the length of the deal you sign him to. Maybe another closer of a pass rusher, a young man who might not want to stay with the team who drafted him, or if the team has significant cap hurdles to clear. I could even see a trade-and-sign situation while Williams is cheap, if the rest of the team really does look poised for a run. (I happen to be hinting at someone I have in mind - not likely but it would be the equivalent of trading for Mack several years ago)

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Threads like this used to be f5 able.

Now it's a bunch of dipshits airing out their grievances.

Guess that's all part of the script these days.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Yeah you, me and everyone else will prefer DJ too.

I’m not saying it’s likely at all. Just thinking there’s a scenario where Odunze becomes that 1400 yard stud WR1 and maybe DJ becomes moveable for the right price.

Not likely but stranger shit has happened

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Follow up to add - Chicago has no dead weight on the books and is expecting nearly $60M in cap space next season.

I'd honestly would predict that Chicago makes a splash signing next year on a player to really increase the competitiveness of the team. If Williams is the real deal, then the next step is to close in on winning the division.

The ideal target is coming off his rookie contract, so that you can expect that he will remain productive for the length of the deal you sign him to. Maybe another closer of a pass rusher, a young man who might not want to stay with the team who drafted him, or if the team has significant cap hurdles to clear. I could even see a trade-and-sign situation while Williams is cheap, if the rest of the team really does look poised for a run. (I happen to be hinting at someone I have in mind - not likely but it would be the equivalent of trading for Mack several years ago)

I personally think they’re done with splash signings and will enter the extend their own guys and develop young players phase.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah you, me and everyone else will prefer DJ too.

I’m not saying it’s likely at all. Just thinking there’s a scenario where Odunze becomes that 1400 yard stud WR1 and maybe DJ becomes moveable for the right price.

Not likely but stranger shit has happened
It's a nice conundrum to have if it moves in that direction.

It's something Howie Roseman would do and then you'd hope fill out the roster with stud draft picks to really accentuate the youth movement.

msadows

Liked Posts:
It's a nice conundrum to have if it moves in that direction.

It's something Howie Roseman would do and then you'd hope fill out the roster with stud draft picks to really accentuate the youth movement.

Too bad dexter, wright and tyrique all suck and got worse in the 2nd half of the season, right?

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I have two concerns about Dexter
  • (1) He sometimes plays high, which is natural when you're 6'6.
  • Teams are not going to be surprised when the regular season comes and he's "hugging" QBs because of how he's going to show out in the preseason.
(2) Barring injury, he's going to be a 9 sack defensive tackle. And he's going to bat down a lot of balls.
(1) That is the fear we all have for him. I was prompted to schedule a phone call with an engineer that I know well - I let him know that I want to know how much the angle that a DT launches from affects the force that he is pushing into the man in front of him, and how much that launch angle changes the ability of that blocker to absorb the force.

Needless to say I'm about to try to learn more math than I am capable of handling.

(2) I don't know about sacks, but he can deny a lot of area over the middle when he gets his hands up. When he doesn't get a sack but does force an early throw, we'll see high-lofted passes that give our DBs time to run under it, simply because his height and arm span covers two-thirds of a foot more than your typical DT.

I personally think they’re done with splash signings and will enter the extend their own guys and develop young players phase.
I wouldn't be opposed - that keeps you in a healthy cap situation. I mean come on, look at that beautiful spreadsheet! It is so nice and clean, with no hard choices on who to resign and who to release.

Green Bay has been all about signing their own and not hitting FA very hard; while they have been competitive every year as a consequence, I wonder if they would have more rings if they got a little fancy with their checkbook while they still had Rodgers.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Too bad dexter, wright and tyrique all suck and got worse in the 2nd half of the season, right?

Sooo…….

About Wright.

Hoge and Jahns mentioned in their last pod that Wright may not be having the camp everyone was hoping for? They’re literally the only ones I’ve heard say this. (And they weren’t trashing him or anything) But I’m hoping with the pads on we hear some good stuff about Wright this week. He absolutely has to take a step forward for this to work.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Sooo…….

About Wright.

Hoge and Jahns mentioned in their last pod that Wright may not be having the camp everyone was hoping for? They’re literally the only ones I’ve heard say this. (And they weren’t trashing him or anything) But I’m hoping with the pads on we hear some good stuff about Wright this week. He absolutely has to take a step forward for this to work.

Careful, you're going to turn this into a daniel thread

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I personally think they trade for a top DE midseason after they start out 7-1, who will then help lead them to the superblow! ;)
SUPER BEARS
SUPER BOWL
SUPER BEARS
SUPER BOWLs