OFFICIAL: Lazor to call plays

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
This is crazy, because I was told by a bunch of people on the internet that have never met him, that Nagy's too stubborn and his ego was too big to do this.

Playcalling isn't a problem with this team, but I'm happy for this move simply to put one less thing on Nagy's plate. If this results in some quicker challenges or getting to the line quicker to stop the defense from challenging a close play or fewer bad timeouts because the play clock is running out, then this move will be a success even if the team doesn't score any more points.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
If the offense gets going Nagy is going to look really bad

Yes at first he will, but I wouldn't exactly say he would be undeserving of any credit if things do turn around. I think his strengths as a coach and leader is in his relational skills and ability to keeping the energy and culture positive. He will be freed up to be able to manage the team as a whole better and you can bet he will still have a huge influence in the offense.

In fact, I am hoping that now the playcalling is off of him he is lifted of a weight off his shoulders. His playcalling had become stale, predictable, and repetitively ineffective. Maybe now he can focus more on adding a special play here or there and implement some of the type of creativity that we had in 2018.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
If it was a “huge issue” we should see “huge” progress right? Is that a fair statement? Or at least moderate improvement.
Not really. He is handing the duties over to Bill Lazor, a multiple times fired OC. As well he still designs the plays and decides on active personnel. I expect similar results, but a more professional appearance to play sequencing.

Replacing bald tires on a rusty 1976 pinto with bad brakes and a slipping transmission doesn't suddenly make it a hugely safer vehicle

SUPERFAN

YUUUGE member
Liked Posts:
Yes at first he will, but I wouldn't exactly say he would be undeserving of any credit if things do turn around. I think his strengths as a coach and leader is in his relational skills and ability to keeping the energy and culture positive. He will be freed up to be able to manage the team as a whole better and you can bet he will still have a huge influence in the offense.

In fact, I am hoping that now the playcalling is off of him he is lifted of a weight off his shoulders. His playcalling had become stale, predictable, and repetitively ineffective. Maybe now he can focus more on adding a special play here or there and implement some of the type of creativity that we had in 2018.

cant argue completely, however alot of people were calling his playcalling and game management problematic even last year
I hope it works out.
I dont expect a totally new offense just more consistent and smarter playcalls

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Any thoughts on Nagy saying "well if we make the change you guys won't know about it" ???? what a clown. He's clearly being forced by upper management to give up duties. Finally.

Trayhezy

Liked Posts:
Gonna laugh when all the idiots realize play calling wasn’t the issue

A different play caller is not gonna help this offense. It's not the play calls, it is the system itself and the guy behind it.

What WILL help is if the head coach is more involved with what is happening on the field.
Managing the game instead of having his head in the play sheet.
Maybe getting on a guy for loafing or missing an assignment. In real time. Instead of "id have to watch the film.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
If it was a “huge issue” we should see “huge” progress right? Is that a fair statement? Or at least moderate improvement.

Fallacy. A replacement does not automatically lead logically to improvement. I am reminded of a poster who bore a striking resemblance to you defending Nagy for weeks after Foles started saying "Come on guys you DO realize Nagy JUST STARTED designing and calling plays with a BRAND NEW QB right??"

Will you give the same overwrought, inordinately generous leniency to a new playcaller? As with all things, time will tell.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
At this point its all we have left to try and at least we get to see for ourselves. Word is the players we're getting frustrated with the playcallung, so it may spur them to not make any excuses.

Plus, I think others such as myself are hoping it frees up Nagy to see the bigger picture and be better positioned to make adjustments and actually coach his players during the game.

Yeah don't get me wrong cause i love that he won't be calling plays and have been calling for this since early into last year. I just don't think everyone should expect it to make some considerable difference in how our offense plays. We are playing Minn defense who haven't been that good except for a couple of games where they showed up so i'm hoping to see a competent offense.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
A different play caller is not gonna help this offense. It's not the play calls, it is the system itself and the guy behind it.

What WILL help is if the head coach is more involved with what is happening on the field.
Managing the game instead of having his head in the play sheet.
Maybe getting on a guy for loafing or missing an assignment. In real time. Instead of "id have to watch the film.

nagy will never lay into guys especially for an effort. He literally said last week he would never ever criticize guys for effort and that this group plays hard. Odd take for a coach, especially since it does appear there’s some loafing going on from time to time. He’s not that type of coach. He’s not one to call a spade a spade and hold guys accountable. He’s a players coach that’s easy to get a long with and won’t push guys too hard.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Fallacy. A replacement does not automatically lead logically to improvement. I am reminded of a poster who bore a striking resemblance to you defending Nagy for weeks after Foles started saying "Come on guys you DO realize Nagy JUST STARTED designing and calling plays with a BRAND NEW QB right??"

Will you give the same overwrought, inordinately generous leniency to a new playcaller? As with all things, time will tell.
No i won’t. Because I was under the assumption that it was Nagy and his trick plays and his love for Patterson that held back the offense. A new play caller should fix those issues right?