*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I have no idea whether it will work out, but people only say ^this^ when you're making bad hires.

I think you are overstating that.

None of us know if this will work or not, and frankly, they haven't even gotten a chance to talk to the players yet or make the new playbook for offense, so its way too damn early to decide if something is going to or not going to work.

Toast88

Liked Posts:

None of us know if this will work or not, and frankly, they haven't even gotten a chance to talk to the players yet or make the new playbook for offense, so its way too damn early to decide if something is going to or not going to work.
Yeah, I agree. That's why I said I have no idea whether it's going to work out.

My point is, it usually doesn't speak highly of your hires when people are saying, "You know what? You don't reeaaalllyyyy need good hires. Their importance is overstated."

Canth

Liked Posts:
I have no idea whether it will work out, but people only say ^this^ when you're making bad hires.

Yeah, I disagree with the idea that a position coach would have no tangible impact. If the coach has no impact, then you probably hired the wrong guy. I have no doubt there are bad position coaches out there and outside of really big names, most fans have no idea who is good and who is bad. I would add that I doubt the media really knows either although they will happily throw out comments on it.

Having said that, I do remember reading at some point in the past year or two, there can be a huge difference with some of these coaches in terms of being able to communicate and actually teach. Some guys just watch film and can say only say things like "That was bad, don't do that", "You need to fix your footwork", "Block better", "Tackle better" without backing any of that up with actually teaching -how- to improve the footwork, hand placement, blocking, tackling, etc.

I get the impression that Eberflus and Poles are hiring position coaches that are experienced and known for being good communicators and teachers. Assuming that is true, then hopefully they are bringing guys that can make a tangible impact in developing players and making them better.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, I agree. That's why I said I have no idea whether it's going to work out.

My point is, it usually doesn't speak highly of your hires when people are saying, "You know what? You don't reeaaalllyyyy need good hires. Their importance is overstated."

Yeah, I think people can play around with that for argument's sake. I get your point though.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, atleast we will know who to blame. In no particular order: Nagy, Bearsbud, Pace. McCaskey, Chicago Park District, Poles, Omlet, Eberfus, Mitch, OC, Fields, DC, System, scheme, O-Line, draft, lack of picks, etc...

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, I disagree with the idea that a position coach would have no tangible impact. If the coach has no impact, then you probably hired the wrong guy. I have no doubt there are bad position coaches out there and outside of really big names, most fans have no idea who is good and who is bad. I would add that I doubt the media really knows either although they will happily throw out comments on it.

Having said that, I do remember reading at some point in the past year or two, there can be a huge difference with some of these coaches in terms of being able to communicate and actually teach. Some guys just watch film and can say only say things like "That was bad, don't do that", "You need to fix your footwork", "Block better", "Tackle better" without backing any of that up with actually teaching -how- to improve the footwork, hand placement, blocking, tackling, etc.

I get the impression that Eberflus and Poles are hiring position coaches that are experienced and known for being good communicators and teachers. Assuming that is true, then hopefully they are bringing guys that can make a tangible impact in developing players and making them better.

I think that for me, what matters most to me is can the coaches they hire help improve the players to get them ready to play in whatever system Coach Flus comes up with, offense and defense. Can they take what is communicated at the top, and then coach that in their position groups, and help their groups get better and better at it?

I think this focus on coaches who can teach and relate to players will help that .

Beyond that, then what success will fall to is player procurement and just how well-designed the systems they will use are in the first place.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I'm a big evidence-based guy.

Ultimately not knowing how it's going to all work out and also knowing that there are exceptions to every rule, is there evidence to support the claim that X person is going to be good at their job?

So far with this coaching staff, I'm not seeing much evidence.

There are little things here and there to like, for sure. But evidence that *any* of these men can properly mold Justin Fields? ---- The evidence just isn't there.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
#Thatswhatithought
#Getalife
#Troll
View attachment 17451
giphy.gif

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He's a total shill for the new regime. We already know how this plays out. 3-5 years from now it will be either "SEE! I TOLD YOU HOW GREAT THIS REGIME WAS!" if they're shit and get canned "Things just didn't work it. They were good hires but(insert 20 excuses). He's made a "career" of this shit.

Is Flip one of the best QB coaches or are the best QB coaches the ones that eventually get promoted and end up OCs or HCs? I have my questions about lifetime position coaches.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think that for me, what matters most to me is can the coaches they hire help improve the players to get them ready to play in whatever system Coach Flus comes up with, offense and defense. Can they take what is communicated at the top, and then coach that in their position groups, and help their groups get better and better at it?

I think this focus on coaches who can teach and relate to players will help that .

Beyond that, then what success will fall to is player procurement and just how well-designed the systems they will use are in the first place.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
#Thatswhatithought
#Getalife
#Troll
View attachment 17451

You're right but it just doesn't look great on paper right now.

Canth

Liked Posts:
A huge improvement in our coaching would be to have a staff that can teach the details of the offense and defense such that the stupid mistakes are not constantly being made. Beyond that, it would be great to also have coaches that can teach and improve the fundamentals of the players.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Inconsistent, expensive, and never helped Fields up when he got knocked down (which we know is a Poles pet peeve).

Oh, and the GM evaluating him has a history of finding talent at O-line in the draft.

You really think he's going to fight with other teams for Daniels?

Yeah, no. Good luck with that.
You and I have no idea what Poles thinks of him. I’ll wait and see

Brownie

Liked Posts:
End of the day, the only thing I care about is what these guys end up doing on gameday. I would rather "lose" the offseason chatter games and opinions and win on Sundays.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
A huge improvement in our coaching would be to have a staff that can teach the details of the offense and defense such that the stupid mistakes are not constantly being made. Beyond that, it would be great to also have coaches that can teach and improve the fundamentals of the players.
Half the people on this board know proper fundamentals. I’m sure the new coaches do as well. The key is being able to teach it effectively.

I seriously doubt any potential NFL position coach is clueless about what the fundamentals are…

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You and I have no idea what Poles thinks of him. I’ll wait and see

No that's not exactly true.

Poles has already publicly shared some insight on the offensive line and the talent.

So we already have an insight into some of the things Poles is looking for.

Now if you want to ignore that for the sake of being intentionally obtuse, that's your issue, not mine.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm a big evidence-based guy.

Ultimately not knowing how it's going to all work out and also knowing that there are exceptions to every rule, is there evidence to support the claim that X person is going to be good at their job?

So far with this coaching staff, I'm not seeing much evidence.

There are little things here and there to like, for sure. But evidence that *any* of these men can properly mold Justin Fields? ---- The evidence just isn't there.

Here's the thing.

There's plenty of evidence that says they might be able to do the job. Just the process of obtaining these guys is a better process.

But I also agree it doesn't guarantee anything.

First time head coaches struggle in the NFL. Retreads actually struggle just as much. You have a lower chance of success with the retread than you do with a first-time head coach.

There are obvious notable exceptions which we can all name off the top of our heads but generally speaking, this just happens to be the case.

No matter how good the system is, the odds are low for a first-time head coach to be successful in this league, and the odds are very low for a retread to be successful in this league barring unusual circumstances.

The ones who do figure it out tend to stay put once they do.

So if you are maximizing your odds of success, which across the board are low to begin with, you are better off going with an unknown then with a known quantity, at least in terms of head coach. I do think experience matters in terms of positional coaches however.

The thing is there is no real surefire way to figure it out otherwise the league would have had that down pat.

In the end you can just look to see if they're using a good process and hope for the best.

The Bears did finally use a good process and thus I am hoping for the best with cautious optimism.

At least I can envision how everything works and works together, and they've done a great job of explaining that. We are going to have to wait until training camp and the beginning of the season for the fine details.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can you tell me why? I know nothing about janocko. Looks like he's had multiple different coaching roles which could be a positive
When we didn't get Brady, I saw a few people saying, "Actually, I'd prefer Janocko." And whatever they said beyond that sounded really good. IDK if I can find the post/Tweet, but I'll look for it. New to me, but most of these coaches are. Hell, I could probably only name 4-5 coaches on the Bears after last year.