*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I don't think that it is a good idea. I think that it is something that happens in all professions.

People lie about their abilities and goals all the time.

Often, people say they can do something, get hired and then try to learn on the fly. Happens all the time.

Why can't a HC candidate blow smoke up a potential employer's ass too? If he gets the job, he can then slowly reveal his true beliefs slowly.
Because the NFL is a pretty insular community. That would become known, and that person likely
wouldn’t get another job again.

Ownership is literally paying tens of Millions for their QB. They seem to like him. How do you think you’re going to win them over to your side? By losing? That might work with a QB like Trubisky, and clueless owners like the McCaskey’s. But not an established vet.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, what he did is what you proposed he do, go out and get some help.

Because it happened during the season, you are saying that he quit on his team. Could it be possible that he was dealing with some mental issues that could not wait until the end of the season?

He doesn't do what you propose he should do (go seek some help) and he might have committed suicide.

Because he did you what you proposed he should do, you are calling him a quitter.

Can you not see that YOU are the one who is wrong?
Sigh…

It doesn’t matter why he stopped playing in the middle of the season, he did. Getting help is irrelevant, I’m glad he did but ultimately, he quit on the team / job etc.,

I do not want a player (trade no less) who has unexpectedly left his team for mental health issues . The SAME way I don’t want a player who is always injured.

Similarly, not exactly the same way some of you on this high horse shat on Eddie Goldman for sitting out

Your argument, and everyone else who is all butt hurt over this is: might, possible, could.. he quit. That's a fact.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Marcus Spears on ESPN discussed that it would have been a reach to hire McCown now, but said he (Spears) and any other teammate McCown has had all believe he will be a great coach. FWIW.

Great perhaps McCown should put in the work like everyone else and not rely on his privilege to get a HC gig without ever having coached in the NFL.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sigh…

It doesn’t matter why he stopped playing in the middle of the season, he did. Getting help is irrelevant, I’m glad he did but ultimately, he quit on the team / job etc.,

I do not want a player (trade no less) who has unexpectedly left his team for mental health issues . The SAME way I don’t want a player who is always injured.

Similarly, not exactly the same way some of you on this high horse shat on Eddie Goldman for sitting out

Your argument, and everyone else who is all butt hurt over this is: might, possible, could.. he quit. That's a fact.

Yeah you are going off on a tangent.

No idea. If he has 'mental issues' that make him walk out on his team, then yes I don't want him here why woud you ? Go get help for yourself and stop wasting everyone's time/money.

You suggested he go get help. What people are telling you is that he already did as that was part of the reason why he stepped away.

So there is really no point in suggesting he do something that he already did and that you knew wasn't going to change your opinion.

Again far better to say, "I simply want to remain ignorant so Ridley quit and that is all that matters."

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah you are going off on a tangent.

You suggested he go get help. What people are telling you is that he already did as that was part of the reason why he stepped away.

So there is really no point in suggesting he do something that he already did and that you knew wasn't going to change your opinion.

Again far better to say, "I simply want to remain ignorant so Ridley quit and that is all that matters."
Quit.

Yes, go get help so he doesn't harm himself, of course I am going to say that, that doesn't mean it excuses him quitting mid season. Which is what happened.

You can paint it anyway you like, it's your prerogative but he ultimately quit. I don't understand why that concept is triggering you so much.. maybe because you stuck your virtual foot in your virtual mouth ?

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
No joke.

George Halas .720+
Ralph Jones .706
Hunk Anderson .676
Luke Johnsos .676
Mike Ditka .631
Paddy Driscoll .609
Lovie Smith .563
Matt Nagy .523

These are the winning percentages (Halas was split in 4 coaching stints and I didn't calculate the total) of all Bear coaches with a winning percentage in Bears HISTORY.

Since you stated that Lovie was the third best Bears coach in Bears history, I just corrected you.

Or are you suddenly going to rank head coaches on something that is not wins and losses?
Fuck W/L...Hunk Anderson should be #1 on name alone

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Have you considered that Lovie is closer to having a winning percentage of Nagy than he does the 5th spot?

Yes, they are all old records but they surely are Bears history, which is what Rise said. Then he tried to move the goal posts.

If Rise wants to move the goal posts and say that the ancient coaches don't count because of stuff like not having the salary cap, then he needs to remove Halas and Ditka. Neither had to deal with the salary cap which began in 1994.

So, in Rise's eyes, the top 5 HCs in Bears history are:
  1. Lovie
  2. Nagy
  3. Dick Jauron
  4. Dave Wannstedt
  5. Mark Trestman
Can you feel the pride?
I don't think Rise posted his thoughts.

Did you stop and think for a minute that it may be a subjective list based on circumstances and not some statistical ranking?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sigh…

I hear what you're saying, and it's true, he's a risk. That's why we'd want him at a discount. There are definitely similarities between mentally being unable to play and physically being unable to play. Like I said before, you wouldn't call him a QUITTER if he had a physical problem (concussion, broken finger, torn ACL, etc.). You have to understand that when a person has MENTAL problems (which are attached to the brain, and also include emotion, motivation, desire, fear, etc.) that is EXACTLY why they couldn't "deal with the situation." I went through some depression back in the day, was suicidal, cutting myself, drinking too much, drugs, etc. I was not in a good mental place to do anything. And when people get like that, there is nothing you can do to help them until they want to get help. That help may be in the form of therapy, drugs, and other treatments. I have a son that was going to kill himself his freshman year. I can't tell how intense that was, how helpless I felt, and unaware. I thought he was happy. He's since gotten help, been diagnosed with depression/anxiety, as well as ADD/ADHD, and now that we're AWARE of what's going on, we can help with (along with therapists and medicine). It took me getting sober to become a professional author, sober 18 years now. If I didn't change, and get help, not only would I not have the career I have now, but I'd probably be dead. We are very complex individuals. It's a wonder that we exist or function at ALL IMO. Not to mention the extra stress of Covid and the pandemic. You are factually correct—he quit. But there are mitigating circumstances here, it's a lot more complex than that, and I'm open to looking into this situation at the right price. You may NOT be, at all, ever. But I think you're over-simplifying things here.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Quit.

Yes, go get help so he doesn't harm himself, of course I am going to say that, that doesn't mean it excuses him quitting mid season. Which is what happened.

You can paint it anyway you like, it's your prerogative but he ultimately quit. I don't understand why that concept is triggering you so much.. maybe because you stuck your virtual foot in your virtual mouth ?
I would say if a player had multiple bad injuries, I would agree. Or if a player had multiple instances where he quit, I'd agree.

But people can get past physical and mental injuries. It's about evaluation.

My big thing is I don't want them to have to have pay eight figures fully guaranteed to a WR and then have to extend him in 23 - especially one coming off his issue.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hear what you're saying, and it's true, he's a risk. That's why we'd want him at a discount. There are definitely similarities between mentally being unable to play and physically being unable to play. Like I said before, you wouldn't call him a QUITTER if he had a physical problem (concussion, broken finger, torn ACL, etc.). You have to understand that when a person has MENTAL problems (which are attached to the brain, and also include emotion, motivation, desire, fear, etc.) that is EXACTLY why they couldn't "deal with the situation." I went through some depression back in the day, was suicidal, cutting myself, drinking too much, drugs, etc. I was not in a good mental place to do anything. And when people get like that, there is nothing you can do to help them until they want to get help. That help may be in the form of therapy, drugs, and other treatments. I have a son that was going to kill himself his freshman year. I can't tell how intense that was, how helpless I felt, and unaware. I thought he was happy. He's since gotten help, been diagnosed with depression/anxiety, as well as ADD/ADHD, and now that we're AWARE of what's going on, we can help with (along with therapists and medicine). It took me getting sober to become a professional author, sober 18 years now. If I didn't change, and get help, not only would I not have the career I have now, but I'd probably be dead. We are very complex individuals. It's a wonder that we exist or function at ALL IMO. Not to mention the extra stress of Covid and the pandemic. You are factually correct—he quit. But there are mitigating circumstances here, it's a lot more complex than that, and I'm open to looking into this situation at the right price. You may NOT be, at all, ever. But I think you're over-simplifying things here.
Awesome man, and happy you got help/treatment etc., and no I am no trying to minimize mental health if it came off that way I do apologize. I think most of us, diagnosed or not, have struggle with some form of it.

That's one differentiator between a physical injury and mental health, you can only treat mental health with drugs/cognitive therapy there really isn't a cure. That's my point, and I'll leave it at that I am not trying to open scars or be hurtful over here.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts: