*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just can’t see the Packers letting him walk for nothing. If Rodgers leaves they will probably tag him and trade him. If by some miracle the Bears pulled that off you would see full on hype mode version of me.
They don't have the space to tag him, that money has to be available when they apply the tag because it is fully guaranteed.

Negotiations for a new deal haven't been very productive. The Packers have refused make Davante Adams the NFL's highest-paid wide receiver ahead of DeAndre Hopkins, who signed a two-year contract extension with the Cardinals during the 2020 preseason averaging $27.25 million per year. Adams can make a compelling case he should be the highest paid because of his sustained excellence. Since the start of the 2018 regular season, Adams leads the NFL with 415 receptions, 5,119 receiving yards and 46 touchdown catches. The Packers don't have a great track record in giving wide receivers a third contract.

A non-exclusive franchise tag for Adams will be $20.12 million. It will be based off a 20% increase of his 2021 salary. Some salary cap gymnastics will be required to accommodate an Adams franchise tag. Green Bay's $247.882 million in 2022 cap commitments are the NFL's second most according to NFLPA data. 44 players are under contract while the top 51 salaries (i.e.; cap numbers) matter with offseason salary cap accounting rules.

Rise

Liked Posts:
I don't think the Packers can afford to tag him...they are 50m in the hole

They would need to extend or restructure some players and cut a bunch but their fans seem confident they can fit the main players under their cap. Admittedly I have not spent any time looking into it.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
They would need to extend or restructure some players and cut a bunch but their fans seem confident they can fit the main players under their cap. Admittedly I have not spent any time looking into it.
They'd have to cut quite a few players.

Rodgers accounts for 48m of the cap....

They would have to take a major bath on dead cap to make enough room.

They would have to find 70m just to tag him...

Even if they get rid of Rodgers post June it would only net them 27m

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
It really depends on Adams...if he wants to really come to Chicago, they will find a way.

If he is looking for the highest bidder, he won't. Bears will not be the highest bidder.
Why would he really want to come to CHI... ? It's always about money.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
this Jacobs guy posting shit like that could cause an investigation
Not if the player is reaching out to talk to a coach (apparently)

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are there legit people who thought Lovie were in the Texans original plans lol. The Texans wanted Mccown but probably got yanked up by Goodell.
It's the perfect counter move on the part of the NFL, "look, were not racists, teams just don't think Brian Flores as HC material".

As much as I like to argue with Remy, I think he is right on this one.

Last edited:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why would he really want to come to CHI... ? It's always about money.
Its based on the rumors we are seeing that a packers player really is interested in following Getsy

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Its based on the rumors we are seeing that a packers player really is interested in following Getsy
If that doesn’t happen, then the other issue comes into play—the price. There were reports that Davante Adams is hoping to get paid upwards of $30 million per year. That would make him the highest-paid receiver in the NFL by a considerable margin, beating out DeAndre Hopkins’ $27.5 million. According to Over The Cap, the Bears are currently projected to have $28.64 million available. Given all the other roster holes they need to fill, it seems unlikely they’d hand all of that to one play.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's the perfect counter move on the part of the NFL, "look, were not racists, teams just don't think Brian FLores is HC material".

As much as I like to argue with Remy, I think he is right on this one.
The Texans have a recent history of having black head coaches last year and then promoting Crenell as interim before that.

So what your saying is the NFL forced the Texans to hire Lovie Smith?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If that doesn’t happen, then the other issue comes into play—the price. There were reports that Davante Adams is hoping to get paid upwards of $30 million per year. That would make him the highest-paid receiver in the NFL by a considerable margin, beating out DeAndre Hopkins’ $27.5 million. According to Over The Cap, the Bears are currently projected to have $28.64 million available. Given all the other roster holes they need to fill, it seems unlikely they’d hand all of that to one play.
which, if read what I said, would have answered your response.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
No contact means no contact. It doesn’t mean if that player calls, you are then free to talk for an hour about his desire to join your team as a FA…
Wilfong though is a journalist, and he basically confirmed that the contact would have to be on a team level and specific to negotiations.

A player who already has a relationship with a coach who's on another team and is just making a social call to see how things are there would not fit any definition of tampering in the NFL bylaws.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would you guys trade Mack
I think the current atmosphere most certainly influenced their decision. To suggest otherwise is naïve.
to suggest it did is pure speculation. As I have mention the Texans are not newcomers to hiring or promoting black head coaches

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ryan Poles is emphasizing spending the Bears' entire cap on Davante Adams?
No, he said it is no more likely that Bears go into rebuilding mode than to spend 30m on Adams