*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
When was the last time a head coach was fired and his DC was then names the coach of that team?

I bet it's been a while since that happened. Probably never when the coach was fired after one year.

Not only that they promote the QB coach to OC. So basically the offense and defense has not changed really. So what was the point? Did Cully fuck the owner or GM's wife as this makes no fucking sense.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

You can't make this shit up. To claim McCown was not a top candidate when Houston reporters are asking how close they came to hiring him and the fire alarm goes off is laughable. This is a clown show.

Wow - so the Texans have hired high schoolers as Crisis PR people.

"Oh shit, they asked the question the owner said he didn't want to answer! WTF do we do! WTF do we do!?"

"I know! PULL THE FIRE ALARM!"

"Genius!!!!"

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
On an aside, I suppose I am in the minority that I don't find a deal for Adams all that outlandish in the first place.

I think in most people's minds, Adams goes somewhere else and gets a massive payday on a 4-5 year deal that will wind down his career.

However, I see it like this: The Bears can offer Adams something else entirely - two big paydays instead of one.

Poles obviously needs to build through the draft but is limited on picks this year. But he likely wants to jump start things quick, and the best ways to do that with limited resources are getting a bonafide top end receiver AND fixing the O-line.

He has the chops to fix the o-line with what we have, but that leaves receiver, and no one we get in round 2 or later is a guaranteed #1.

BUT.

Green Bay can't afford to keep or tag Adams, and the Bears can offer Adams a 2 year deal, backloaded with a ton of guaranteed money (while still paying him $10 mil this year), and Adams has 2 years with a guy who is top 5 in the league in deep ball accuracy.

If Adams wants to gamble on himself for one more big payout, he can play for the Bears for 2 years (enough time for the new Bears regime to establish themselves), and THEN move on for that big time payday. And the cog that makes the whole thing tick is that our OC is someone Adams really trusts and likes. And it gives the Bears time to draft his replacement, either in 2023 or 2024.

It's not the craziest idea...
But it’s still pretty crazy. He’s already 30 years old. He’s not getting two more big contracts. Let’s also not forget that he’s been taking that GB discount for his whole career. Dude should cash in because age is not on his side.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
On an aside, I suppose I am in the minority that I don't find a deal for Adams all that outlandish in the first place.

I think in most people's minds, Adams goes somewhere else and gets a massive payday on a 4-5 year deal that will wind down his career.

However, I see it like this: The Bears can offer Adams something else entirely - two big paydays instead of one.

Poles obviously needs to build through the draft but is limited on picks this year. But he likely wants to jump start things quick, and the best ways to do that with limited resources are getting a bonafide top end receiver AND fixing the O-line.

He has the chops to fix the o-line with what we have, but that leaves receiver, and no one we get in round 2 or later is a guaranteed #1.

BUT.

Green Bay can't afford to keep or tag Adams, and the Bears can offer Adams a 2 year deal, backloaded with a ton of guaranteed money (while still paying him $10 mil this year), and Adams has 2 years with a guy who is top 5 in the league in deep ball accuracy.

If Adams wants to gamble on himself for one more big payout, he can play for the Bears for 2 years (enough time for the new Bears regime to establish themselves), and THEN move on for that big time payday. And the cog that makes the whole thing tick is that our OC is someone Adams really trusts and likes. And it gives the Bears time to draft his replacement, either in 2023 or 2024.

It's not the craziest idea...
AND it screws the Packers, makes them weaker. But if Rodgers is gone, too, they're toast for a few years IMO.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Not only that they promote the QB coach to OC. So basically the offense and defense has not changed really. So what was the point? Did Cully fuck the owner or GM's wife as this makes no fucking sense.
Only thing I can think of is Watson was dead set against cully. Other than that they’ve had one of the strangest offseasons I’ve seen not bears related lol

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Adams is a pipe dream. He simply will cost too much money for a team that has too many holes. WR is one of the deeper positions in terms of current NFL players and in terms of the draft.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Only thing I can think of is Watson was dead set against cully. Other than that they’ve had one of the strangest offseasons I’ve seen not bears related lol

Yeah I mentioned that previously that the only way this makes sense is if Lovie and Pep convince Watson to stay.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
But it’s still pretty crazy. He’s already 30 years old. He’s not getting two more big contracts. Let’s also not forget that he’s been taking that GB discount for his whole career. Dude should cash in because age is not on his side.

True - but Adams is a rare receiver. Look how long Larry Fitzgerald was good for. Adams could be that dude too.

I do agree its the longest of longshots.

But I remember people saying the same shit about Peppers coming here, or the Bears trading for Cutler. Once in a great while, those long shots do come in....

And shit, I came up with my idea based on the Bears not paying him long term- what if they did and backloaded the shit out of that thing?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol, McCown has interviewed for HC two years in a row. Someone did not convince them to interview him. The Texans have always been high on him.

He was not only at the top of the list he was the favorite. Like Jesus he was one of only 2 guys known to have interviewed twice for the job this year. To say he was not at the top of the list is just bullshit.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle has an in depth on this. You are clinging to a fantasy.

yes they did, the first go around. I didn't say it was this year specific. He came onto their radar last year after someone convinced them to talk to him. Pretty sure they are going to try and work him onto their staff.

It was rumored to be their favorite, thats it. Twitter talk is cheap. And that was only from a single source.

In fact the GM in a live interview today said there were 6 candidates in the mix.