*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

dennehy

Liked Posts:
No, he said it is no more likely that Bears go into rebuilding mode than to spend 30m on Adams
I was responding t o the tweet above my post, which ridiculously claimed that Poles was thinking about singing Adams based on nothing.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wilfong though is a journalist, and he basically confirmed that the contact would have to be on a team level and specific to negotiations.

A player who already has a relationship with a coach who's on another team and is just making a social call to see how things are there would not fit any definition of tampering in the NFL bylaws.
correct, but that's not what was implied

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was responding t o the tweet above my post, which ridiculously claimed that Poles was thinking about singing Adams based on nothing.
no there was a vague rumor about a packer's player speaking with Getsy...what more proof do you need!

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
correct, but that's not what was implied
I don't ever trust Erik Lambert - my thoughts on what Brandon Jacobs intimated.

I mean at this point we all know it's unlikely but it's fun to talk about and I do believe Adams did at least put in a call to Getsy to see how things are going here - even before all this, they were reportedly pretty close.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Quit.

Yes, go get help so he doesn't harm himself, of course I am going to say that, that doesn't mean it excuses him quitting mid season. Which is what happened.

You can paint it anyway you like, it's your prerogative but he ultimately quit. I don't understand why that concept is triggering you so much.. maybe because you stuck your virtual foot in your virtual mouth ?

Yes and once again he already went and got help. No different than if someone got injured and went and got surgery. The issue now is if the help or surgery was successful.

You have no idea whether he could have played thru his mental illness as if he could not then he is no different than someone sufferring a physical injury that they could not play thru. Is that quitting or is that being injured?

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
On an aside, I suppose I am in the minority that I don't find a deal for Adams all that outlandish in the first place.

I think in most people's minds, Adams goes somewhere else and gets a massive payday on a 4-5 year deal that will wind down his career.

However, I see it like this: The Bears can offer Adams something else entirely - two big paydays instead of one.

Poles obviously needs to build through the draft but is limited on picks this year. But he likely wants to jump start things quick, and the best ways to do that with limited resources are getting a bonafide top end receiver AND fixing the O-line.

He has the chops to fix the o-line with what we have, but that leaves receiver, and no one we get in round 2 or later is a guaranteed #1.

BUT.

Green Bay can't afford to keep or tag Adams, and the Bears can offer Adams a 2 year deal, backloaded with a ton of guaranteed money (while still paying him $10 mil this year), and Adams has 2 years with a guy who is top 5 in the league in deep ball accuracy.

If Adams wants to gamble on himself for one more big payout, he can play for the Bears for 2 years (enough time for the new Bears regime to establish themselves), and THEN move on for that big time payday. And the cog that makes the whole thing tick is that our OC is someone Adams really trusts and likes. And it gives the Bears time to draft his replacement, either in 2023 or 2024.

It's not the craziest idea...

dennehy

Liked Posts:
On an aside, I suppose I am in the minority that I don't find a deal for Adams all that outlandish in the first place.

I think in most people's minds, Adams goes somewhere else and gets a massive payday on a 4-5 year deal that will wind down his career.

However, I see it like this: The Bears can offer Adams something else entirely - two big paydays instead of one.

Poles obviously needs to build through the draft but is limited on picks this year. But he likely wants to jump start things quick, and the best ways to do that with limited resources are getting a bonafide top end receiver AND fixing the O-line.

He has the chops to fix the o-line with what we have, but that leaves receiver, and no one we get in round 2 or later is a guaranteed #1.

BUT.

Green Bay can't afford to keep or tag Adams, and the Bears can offer Adams a 2 year deal, backloaded with a ton of guaranteed money (while still paying him $10 mil this year), and Adams has 2 years with a guy who is top 5 in the league in deep ball accuracy.

If Adams wants to gamble on himself for one more big payout, he can play for the Bears for 2 years (enough time for the new Bears regime to establish themselves), and THEN move on for that big time payday. And the cog that makes the whole thing tick is that our OC is someone Adams really trusts and likes. And it gives the Bears time to draft his replacement, either in 2023 or 2024.

It's not the craziest idea...
He would take a 5 year deal with $75mil guaranteed over a 2 year deal with, what, $30mil guaranteed everyday. He's going to be the highest paid WR in the league with the most guaranteed money by far. Why would he risk injury or sucking with the Bears?

And a 5 year deal would almost certainly allow for a lower cap hit in 2022 because the bonus money could be spread out over five years, not two. If the Bears want him offering him two actually would hamstring them as well, so they offer five or even six years.

So no this will not happen.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Gosh, actively working to improve the team.

Pretty unique effort there from Poles, I bet no other GMs do this.

That was the entire interview.

McCaskey - What is your detailed plan to make the Bears a success?

Morroco Brown - I will passively look to improve the team.

Omar Khan - I will actively look to not improve the team.

Poles - I will actively work to improve the team.

McCaskey - Poles you are hired!

Last edited:

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I just can’t see the Packers letting him walk for nothing. If Rodgers leaves they will probably tag him and trade him. If by some miracle the Bears pulled that off you would see full on hype mode version of me.
I think Adams gets tagged no matter what.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I don't think the Packers can afford to tag him...they are 50m in the hole
From what I have seen, the Packers want to restructure as many high- priced contracts as they can. Kick that can down the road so they can have another run for a Super Bowl.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As what I have seen posted there were 3 people in the running...one was Flores, one was McCown and people speculated on the third. McCown was not in their original plans but someone convinced the Texans to interview him, but he wasn't at the top of the list. McCown still may find a spot as an assistant coach.

Lol, McCown has interviewed for HC two years in a row. Someone did not convince them to interview him. The Texans have always been high on him.

He was not only at the top of the list he was the favorite. Like Jesus he was one of only 2 guys known to have interviewed twice for the job this year. To say he was not at the top of the list is just bullshit.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle has an in depth on this. You are clinging to a fantasy.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's the perfect counter move on the part of the NFL, "look, were not racists, teams just don't think Brian Flores as HC material".

As much as I like to argue with Remy, I think he is right on this one.

The problem with this is if it gets to discovery and Flores requests communications and emails from Texans and it is revealed Lovie was not a top choice until after the lawsuit or that they wanted to hire McCown but changed their minds due to the lawsuit.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
From what I have seen, the Packers want to restructure as many high- priced contracts as they can. Kick that can down the road so they can have another run for a Super Bowl.
Exactly. We see good teams do this every year and it never ends up that big a problem.

There's no way they don't at leas franchise tag him and trade him

dennehy

Liked Posts:
When was the last time a head coach was fired and his DC was then names the coach of that team?

I bet it's been a while since that happened. Probably never when the coach was fired after one year.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Exactly. We see good teams do this every year and it never ends up that big a problem.

There's no way they don't at leas franchise tag him and trade him

Probably right.