My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
I feel like 90% of the talk this offseason has been around drafting a WR high. And while we need a WR for sure, we also need to draft a CB just as bad. Maybe even more actually. I am stunned actually that they have not signed more players in the secondary for depth.
Xavier Rhodes is likely a contingency plan

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I picked 2 teams that built significant parts if not majority of their core players through FA to show that there's not just 1 way to build a successful/super bowl as long as you are making high quality decisions. I thought it was obvious sarcasm because of the teams I chose for examples but apparently Poe's law is not to be underestimated.
That’s just it: the Rams didn’t build a majority of their team through FA. They did it through the draft. They had solid drafts with lots of mid to late round picks to get solid contributors and then added key pieces of proven talent by trading top picks.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Was it built through the draft? How many first round picks have the Rams had in the last 5 years?

Yes, i understand your point, the point I was making is the rams were built trading away draft capital for proven talent, not trading draft capital (to trade up) for unproven talent.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Who were the decisive players on those teams, and how were they acquired?
Ever heard of Donald or Kupp?

The fact is the Rams used ALL avenues to build their team. Bargain picks in the lower rounds. A HOF player in the first. The leagues #1 WR (in yards) in the draft. Big trades for a QB, CB and others. But even those trades I would consider building through the draft because it’s a successful usage of a teams draft picks.

Whereas the Bears have obviously not been successful using their draft capital.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

The fact is the Rams used ALL avenues to build their team. Bargain picks in the lower rounds. A HOF player in the first. The leagues #1 WR (in yards) in the draft. Big trades for a QB, CB and others. But even those trades I would consider building through the draft because it’s a successful usage of a teams draft picks.

The one time they did use draft capital to "tradeup" it didn't work out so well for them, IIRC.
Kupp is a bit of an outlier, 4.62 40 time, and picked in the third round.

Sometimes teams just get lucky.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Looks like he is working on ways to get a high ankle sprain or torn acl. Some of these plyometric exercises are getting fucking ridiculous.
"OK JJ jump sideways onto this 4 ft platform, pivot on your left leg, jump down onto this rolling balance board, then sprint across this field of marbles while juggling those 5lb kettle bells."

Toast88

Liked Posts:

So you agree with me that the statement, "Winning franchises build through the draft, not free agency" is false.