Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Not getting a late 2nd for him. If he had a lower cap number, then yeah, I'd say its possible, but the cap number makes him 3rd round or worse territory.
Do you even understand what his cap number is to a team that would trade for him? That team would be getting the #2 edge rusher in sacks last season for the #28 Edge rusher salary. They also would control him for 2 more seasons at their pleasure at a similar salary range with absolutely zero guaranteed. If anything his remaining contract is a bonus to trading him. Vonn Miller was rented for 8 games for a 2nd and 3rd.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Do you even understand what his cap number is to a team that would trade for him? That team would be getting the #2 edge rusher in sacks last season for the #28 Edge rusher salary. They also would control him for 2 more seasons at their pleasure at a similar salary range with absolutely zero guaranteed. If anything his remaining contract is a bonus to trading him. Vonn Miller was rented for 8 games for a 2nd and 3rd.
He doesn't realize but after he finishes his mcgriddles and reads your post he will find a way to further expose how much of a blowhard he is.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Well, as someone posted, trading Quinn leaves you with a team fully aware they're set up to suck. That's not necessarily a good thing, obviously. You need to weigh a lot of factors. This isn't Madden.
Any players under the impression that they are going to contend next season are deluding themselves. I think it is widely understood that next season is a building season, not a raze the building type season, but a complete remodel.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Some of you all would have thought Kyle Fuller was worth a second rounder, so I don't know what yall think you're going to get for someone with that much salary owed to him and on the wrong side of 30. If not for him having a career year last year, you wouldn't get a 7th for him...

first off, pass rushers are more valuable than corners, history has shown this already...teams will pay more for pass rushers regardless of age as long as their productive. as for quinn he has no more gtd money on his deal so if a team does trade for him and doesnt work out they can just walk away. his cap hit is somewhere in the top 20 for edge rushers which isnt bad considering he was top 3 or top 5 in sacks last season. now regarding compensation he can net a 2nd rd pick...if a team doesnt offer it in the draft poles can likely get it at the trade deadline and more assuming quinn stays healthy and productive, teams that are vying for the playoffs will certainly pay a premium for a rusher like quinn.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
The issue is one of saying its a bad deal.

You don't know.

He could get hurt and then fall off this upcoming season, and then anything would have been good for him.

You aren't getting a 2nd rounder for him - payroll is way too much.

And what good does it do your team to keep him? He won't be here when you are good again, and at a bare minimum, you may get younger and pick up someone in this draft that is a reliable starter for the next 10 years - that's hardly a bad deal.
I like the idea of dealing him during the season. We get some wins from him and then cash out with a pick and salary dump to a contender.

A 3rd now? I’m just not sold.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This. No one is untradeable but he has value and if they can't get that, you keep him for a system he fits well. Doesn't matter what year. That value for me is at least a top 50 pick right now, where the draft tends to transition from top players. Sometimes it's just better to sit tight, even in transition years. The Bear are getting offers but I suspect Poles feels the same way and may want even more like that plus a 4 or a 2+3 if later round selections.

Last edited:

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't want to see Quinn traded just for the sake of trading him and getting younger. And the return for vets is almost always less than what fans think a team should get. But if the Bears retain the salary this season, and possibly a little in the future, and trade him for two picks this year, it would certainly make sense to do so.

They're not getting a pick in the top 40, but two picks in the 2nd through 4th rounds would certainly set them up to restock talent and get more cap space beginning next year.

In most cases, I would agree with you. But there is a time and place where conventional wisdom does not apply, and I believe it is here.

Its the combination of trading Quinn, the Bears in a rebuild, AND this draft supposedly being very "middle" heavy - not a ton of top end talent, but supposedly a lot of second and third-round talent that could potentially extend into the fifth round.

What does holding onto Quinn do for the Bears exactly? Fans get to have a hard dick over a guy who is on the wrong side of 30 and had a career year coming back to a team that will be lucky to win more than 3 games with him, heading into the period of an NFL player's life where production drastically starts to decline and can fall off a cliff, meanwhile he's taking up cap space and when he does go, you get nothing for him?

For all the people who think I'm crazy, someone explain to me how the ABOVE makes total sense for a rebuilding team, and keep your personal feelings out of it?

IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Not in this situation. If we were talking about Roquan Smith here, then yeah, I'd get that. That's a guy whose young, good, should be peaking when this team is ready, and so if you WERE going to trade him, you damn sure better get a high value for him.

But we aren't talking about Smith. We're talking about Quinn - over 30, had a career year after a TERRIBLE one, and is soaking up a LOT of cap space. And as I said, this is supposedly a DEEP draft.

You wait until draft day, and then you trade Quinn for as much as you can get for him. There is NO POINT to being stubborn here. You draft right, you can get a potential starter or at least good contributor with the pick (even if it is low 3rd, high 4th, which is where I think it lands because of his contract), and the money you save can go toward another free agent who WILL help the team going forward next year.

This isn't about holding onto guys fans have a hard on for now. Its about team building. And that means looking beyond just next season.

You take whatever you can get for Quinn....

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I like the idea of dealing him during the season. We get some wins from him and then cash out with a pick and salary dump to a contender.

Under most normal circumstances, I get it. But he makes too much money - no one is going to give up a 2nd for him unless people get desperate on draft day and there is a bidding war (which is why Poles is waiting until then).

But I don't think you wait - you do it draft day, because and only because this draft is supposedly deep - who knows if the scouts are right, but in the mocks I've seen, there's been a lot of value in rounds 3 and 4 - no one I'd call a superstar, but definitely potential starters in rounds where people are usually looking for depth...

Nelly

Liked Posts:

Sounds like a plan to me. Too bad there's only one L.A. Rams or else we could maybe get a 2nd and 3rd like Denver got for Miller. :LOL:

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
No I wouldn’t.

You might be stupid if you can’t see the obvious answer of not trading him.

This whole idea of not investing in players until the perfect time to make a SB run in dumb.

Er... You know Quinn isn't going to be on the team when the Bears do make that Superbowl run and that he likely will fall off in the next 2-3 years, right?