Offseason discussion/rumors

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Interesting. Now as a white sox fan I pass on Fowler because of the QO

For your team absolutely. Toronto could make some sense as they'll be getting compensatory picks back for Bautista and Encarnacion. St. Louis makes a lot of sense as well even as they passed on offering a QO to Brandon Moss.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Dismissing Almora as a just a fourth OF is nonsense. He's a 2 WAR player on defense alone. If he manages 100 wRC+ he's a 3 WAR player, easily.

How does he fit into the line up?

Doesn't take walks.

Not a lead off candate.

Another RH bat in a RH heavy line up.

If he was running a .08 BB rate I would get your point of view but as it is he is a RH replacement to Heyward in RF at best. If Heyward bounces back he becomes a LF D replacement.

Him starting in CF his lackings on O will outweigh his D.

He is basically Baez with out the HR power.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
For the Cubs if they want to get that young SP, they are going to either need to deplete their minors or trade two core pieces off of the MLB roster. I think they roll the dice as is for 2017. I would. Don't fix what is not broke at this time.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
For the Cubs if they want to get that young SP, they are going to either need to deplete their minors or trade two core pieces off of the MLB roster. I think they roll the dice as is for 2017. I would. Don't fix what is not broke at this time.

I agree. Right now they committed to Montgomery in the rotation. They have control over Jake and Lackey for 2017. So the biggest issue is retaining Chapman. Not worrying about 2018. That is a issue to view then.

The 2nd biggest issue is Fowler in CF. Making a QO was the right decision. He walks they get something. He takes it he deserved it.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

I tend to agree. I think they'll slide Montgomery into the rotation but have him compete for that job in ST with Zastryzny and likely another guy they bring in.

Like I said though the posting of Shohei Otani would change everything. He's exactly what they want but of he course he may not be posted this year. He's also looking for 10 years $220 million. I've heard him referred to as the best pitcher on the planet not named Clayton Kershaw and he's 22 years old.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The obvious fix is the bullpen, would they have won without the Chapman trade? Need A stud closer to repeat a WS win. Could Carl Edwards Jr add a pitch/mature and become that guy?

The starting staff is fine, I could see Lackey being the 5th starter with Montgomery being a starter.

I can't believe they'd trade Arrieta unless whatever coming back was something that couldn't be refused.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The obvious fix is the bullpen, would they have won without the Chapman trade? Need A stud closer to repeat a WS win. Could Carl Edwards Jr add a pitch/mature and become that guy?

The starting staff is fine, I could see Lackey being the 5th starter with Montgomery being a starter.

I can't believe they'd trade Arrieta unless whatever coming back was something that couldn't be refused.

I just don't know if they're going pursue Chapman. I'd be OK with it but I'd also be a little surprised with the Yankees money burning a hole in their pockets. It will be interesting to see if they go after Jansen or even Mark Melancon. i do think Edwards is the closer of the future though.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
How does he fit into the line up?

Doesn't take walks.

Not a lead off candate.

Another RH bat in a RH heavy line up.

If he was running a .08 BB rate I would get your point of view but as it is he is a RH replacement to Heyward in RF at best. If Heyward bounces back he becomes a LF D replacement.

Him starting in CF his lackings on O will outweigh his D.

He is basically Baez with out the HR power.

I guess if you're operating on the assumption that this organization can't get a young player to improve on a weakness in his game, then yes Almora in the lineup is not ideal. But, back in the real world, this organization has demonstrated exactly that ability, and you need only look to the K% of Bryant, Russell, and Baez to see the evidence.

Also, an everyday lineup with three lefties (Schwarber, Rizzo, Heyward) and one switch hitter (Zobrist) is not "RH heavy". Throwing out the pitcher, it's literally as balanced a lineup as you can get.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Why does Edwards need another pitch? If he stays in the bullpen, you dont need more than two pitches. If he goes to starter, he has 4 pitches. Its basically do the Cubs think he can stay durable as a starter. He stuff is just as filthy as a starter. Also, Im not resigning Chapman. I know what we gave up, but he seems mentally not the strongest. I want Jensen or no one. Relievers are very volatile in the majors. One year they are a God and the next they suck. Happens all the time.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess if you're operating on the assumption that this organization can't get a young player to improve on a weakness in his game, then yes Almora in the lineup is not ideal. But, back in the real world, this organization has demonstrated exactly that ability, and you need only look to the K% of Bryant, Russell, and Baez to see the evidence.

Also, an everyday lineup with three lefties (Schwarber, Rizzo, Heyward) and one switch hitter (Zobrist) is not "RH heavy". Throwing out the pitcher, it's literally as balanced a lineup as you can get.

Almora doesnt have a lot of room to grow at the plate. The three guys you named all had monster ceilings compared to him and still do. The problem with Almora is he is just a straight contact hitter and nothing more. He has gap power, but cant steal bases. He is basically another Castro at the plate, but I dont know if he has the same eye to hand coordination. Im not a big fan of Almora. I think he platoons CF with Heyward.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Edwards threw a couple of curveballs that dropped my jaw. His fast ball is electric. Pretty sure I saw him top out at 98mph. The dude can sling fireballs. He'll be a heck of an 8th inning guy if we can sign Jansen.

And about Jansen - I didn't realize he's older than Chapman. It'll be interesting to see what these guys get but I hope Jansen isn't priced out of our range.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Baez did not improve his BB rate.

But the real world is they improve then the get the increased playing time. Not the other way around. That is putting the buggy in front of the horse thinking.

Almora is a contact hitter. He attacks early in the count to make contact. He doesn't fit into this teams build of waiting for a pitch to drive and letting the pitch get deeper into the zone.

If he was what they wanted he would have played a larger role this year vs coming in early for Fowler's injury replacement. To be pushed out by Heyward and either Bryant or Zorbrist fielding RF while Baez played IF,

That has not changed. They have better inhouse options if Fowler bounces.

Almora has to make him into a hitter that they have to make adjustments to give him playing time.

Contreras did this. Baez did this. Bryant did this. Russell did this. Schwarber did this.

So why should Almora be an exception?

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Almora doesnt have a lot of room to grow at the plate. The three guys you named all had monster ceilings compared to him and still do. The problem with Almora is he is just a straight contact hitter and nothing more. He has gap power, but cant steal bases. He is basically another Castro at the plate, but I dont know if he has the same eye to hand coordination. Im not a big fan of Almora. I think he platoons CF with Heyward.

Almora can't steal bases? He'd looked pretty fast running the bases on that tag-up in Game 7. One would think he at least has the ability.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Why does Edwards need another pitch? If he stays in the bullpen, you dont need more than two pitches. If he goes to starter, he has 4 pitches. Its basically do the Cubs think he can stay durable as a starter. He stuff is just as filthy as a starter. Also, Im not resigning Chapman. I know what we gave up, but he seems mentally not the strongest. I want Jensen or no one. Relievers are very volatile in the majors. One year they are a God and the next they suck. Happens all the time.

If the Cubs can't get Jansen, Melancon would not be a bad consolation prize. He actually induces more weak contact that either Jansen or Chapman and induces nearly twice as many groundballs.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Baez did not improve his BB rate.

But the real world is they improve then the get the increased playing time. Not the other way around. That is putting the buggy in front of the horse thinking.

Well now, can you please point out to me where I advocated handing Almora a starting position sans improvement? All I've done is dispute the notion that he's "just" a fourth OF. Players of his skillset can be productive, everyday contributors, and guys like Inciarte and Pillar prove this to be the case.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Almora can't steal bases? He'd looked pretty fast running the bases on that tag-up in Game 7. One would think he at least has the ability.

Never had more than 10 in a minor league season. He isnt that fast. He has great instincts in the OF and runs great routes which is why he covers so much ground. He is pretty average at running on the bases. The Cubs liked his intelligence. He is a high floor, low ceiling type. He is going to be in the majors for a long time, but I dont think he every reaches any type of big time level. His defense will make him a starter somewhere if its not with us.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
And They failed to do the same for Castro.

Without Fowler they need a Lead-off hitter. Zobrist is not going to be doing that job every day. Further, looking at the record when Dex was not playing, I wouldn't be so certain they don't want him back.