Offseason discussion/rumors

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Someone mentioned awhile back that Schwarber might lead off. Don't remember if it was the front office, maddon or just speculation on bleacher nation. He's clearly not a prototypical guy for it but he's a very patient hitter.
This group not going to be the typical 1 thru 9 lineup
Contreras
Rizzo
Baez
Russell
Bryant
Schwarber
Jay
Heyward
Zobrist
Almora
Montero

I can see Maddon going back to batting a hitter 9 again with Almora and Jay.

The leadoff spot not going to be the typical leadoff hitter

I'm going to guess he goes mostly with Heyward or Russell

I don't see Schwarber batting leadoff because then you lose a power / Rbi guy hitting with minimal opportunity with guys on base..

Besides Bryant and Rizzo hitting 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th
Were probably going to see guys moved around a lot

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Someone mentioned awhile back that Schwarber might lead off. Don't remember if it was the front office, maddon or just speculation on bleacher nation. He's clearly not a prototypical guy for it but he's a very patient hitter.

I heard that too. I think his slugging would move him back? Contreras also had a decent OBP.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Jay
Schwarber
Bryant
Rizzo
Zobrist
Russell
Heyward
Contreras

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Think I would lead off with Almora also. Force him to accept his walks

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Davis: 2-1 1.87 43 IP 27 SV
Uehara: 2-3 3.45 ERA 47 IP 7 SV
Rondon: 2-3 3.53 ERA 51 IP 18 SV
Strop: 2-2 2.85 ERA 47 IP 0 SV
Edwards Jr 0-1 3.75 ERA 36 IP 2 SV
Grimm 2-1 4.10 ERA 52 IP 0 SV

Pretty ridiculous. 3 MLB closers at the same time. Almost silly.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
An odd fact: Cubs have three guys on the 2016 roster who have recorded the final out in a WS, all in the last 4 years.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
An odd fact: Cubs have three guys on the 2016 roster who have recorded the final out in a WS, all in the last 4 years.

The game is becoming more of a late inning high leverage game. Get 5-6 hard pitched inning out of the starter and then shut the door with a deep pen.

The Royals really started this trend. Yanks had it last year. Cubs had 1 weakness last year and it was in late inning high leverage pitching. They paid 3 quality prospects to address it.

Now I do like seeing Cory Black leading the P.R. Winter league in saves and a .45 ERA. I expect to see him as the closer in Iowa. His BB rate has been his main issue. But he can run a 99 mph fastball with a plus slider. Curve is a decent 3rd pitch with a avg change. So he has a solid make up for a potential future closer. It should be interesting to see if he sees some action this year.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
With Cardinals signing Fowler Cubs will get the 19th(cardinals) and 30th pick..
Guessing they go after pitching with those picks

chibears55

Liked Posts:
With Cardinals signing Fowler Cubs will get the 19th(cardinals) and 30th pick..
Guessing they go after pitching with those picks

Edit: I read it wrong they get a comp pick

The Cubs extended Fowler a qualifying offer, which he turned down, which means the Cardinals must forfeit the No. 19 pick in the upcoming draft, and the Cubs will receive a compensatory pick.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The Cubs took care of their bullpen during the Winter Meetings, but are still eyeing free-agent starter Tyson Ross, according to Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com. At this point, it’s not even clear precisely when Ross will sign, but it’s interesting to note that the defending World Series champs seem to have more than a passing interest in the veteran righty, who is working back from thoracic outlet surgery. President of baseball operations Theo Epstein spoke generally of the idea of signing injured starters, noting that there’s demand for “really talented pitchers” even if they have recently been hurt. “We’ll stay engaged on some of those guys,” he said, “but they’ll have to be just the right talent.”

fyi

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He wants to sign with a team that has a solid rehab facilities. Cubs have some of the best in the biz. Pirates maybe the biggest Comp here as they have a strong history of bringing starters back to life

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Koji is older than Ommy and throws 72mph. Does he have Greg Maddux command or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think his splitter is considered fairly nasty not because of the speed because of the movement. On his career, the pitch has a 35.5% k rate and hitters are hitting .167/.199/.289 vs it.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
ACCORDING TO PETER GAMMONS, THE WHITE SOX ASKED THE ASTROS FOR FRANCIS MARTES, KYLE TUCKER AND JOE MUSGROVE IN EXCHANGE FOR JOSE QUINTANA.

With the return package that White Sox general manager Rick Hahn was able to secure from the Nationals in the Adam Eaton trade, it's no wonder that he's shooting for the moon in every possible deal. It seems likely though that he'll have to lower his demands as the offseason progresses if he indeed wishes to trade off Quintana and other veterans that he's looking to deal.