OT - PHI Extends Fletcher Cox, Most Guaranteed $$ In The NFL For A Non-QB

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Why are you comparing him to past QB''s instead of QB's that are playing now that we actually could have had on our team?

Your argument is sillly.

He's simply happy to have a QB that's better than all of the guys listed. As are all of the Cutler supporters. They merely wanted a better QB more than a winning team.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I just find it funny that people think that we keep trotting Cutler out there because we are afraid to move on. We would drop him in a second if he was half as bad as some of you make him out to be as exhibited numerous times before him.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I hate this thread and what its become, but I have to address this comment. It is TERRIBLE. The Bears can't "drop" Cutler...he has too much guaranteed money in his contract. No team will trade for him because of his contract. If the Bears were to have cut Cutler at any point in the last 3 years, they would have taken a cap hit between $19M - $38M.

This obvious fact was evident back in 2014 when Cutler's contract went into effect. The only reason Cutler got a $126M contract was because they were afraid to move on from him...which is verbatim exactly what your are saying ISN'T true.

I just can't believe the football content of your post. I have never seen someone so completely opposite of HISTORICAL reality. We are talking about stuff that has already taken place, and you are still unable to contribute in any meaningful manner.

Look up what a sunk cost is and get back to me.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
What is worse?

A) Having an AVERAGE QB for 8+ years that gives you a chance to compete if you build a great team around him with a record of 50-47 and ONE playoff win

-OR-

B) Starting...
Rick Mirer
Steve Stenstron
Moses Moreno
Shane Matthews
Cade McNown
Jim Miller
Chris Chandler
Henry Burris
Kordell Stewart
Rex Grossman
Craig Krenzel
Chad Hutchinson
Jonathan Quinn
Kyle Orton
Brian Griese...
In a TWELVE YEAR SPAN and collecting a combined record of 88-104 and TWO playoff wins.

1st - What's the difference between 8+ years of mediocrity from one player or 12 years of mediocrity from multiple players?

2nd - What does the past garbage that was trotted out there have anything to do with the current average QB?

3rd - Why is the only option for the Bears (in your mind) either Cutler or whatever past QB's the Bears have had? The QB's that should be the either or for the Bears are Cutler and any other starting QB the Bears passed on? Why compare Cutler to the past QB's versus comparing him to let's say Derek Carr?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
1st - What's the difference between 8+ years of mediocrity from one player or 12 years of mediocrity from multiple players?

2nd - What does the past garbage that was trotted out there have anything to do with the current average QB?

3rd - Why is the only option for the Bears (in your mind) either Cutler or whatever past QB's the Bears have had? The QB's that should be the either or for the Bears are Cutler and any other starting QB the Bears passed on? Why compare Cutler to the past QB's versus comparing him to let's say Derek Carr?

I was just asking which scenario was better. Not looking to read anything else into it. IMO, the first one was better for the team in the short and long run.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

1. We can blame 8 years of mediocre play on the coaches and supporting cast, duh.

2. The garbage we had before makes the average QB look like the GOATest of all time GOAT QB

3. Because then we would have to face the fact that we could have done better at some point in the last 8 years :(

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I was just asking which scenario was better. Not looking to read anything else into it. IMO, the first one was better for the team in the short and long run.

The first scenario had more playoff appearances and a deeper playoff run. Not really sure how the first scenario is better in the short and long term?

In both scenario's QB is the main problem but in the second you don't have the QB tying up a huge chunk of your cap space.

dawags

Liked Posts:
If we had moved on from Cutler in 2014, the 2014 drafted quarterback of today would have been hand picked by Emery!

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

IMO there is no difference between the two...essentially you are asking which is worse turning left and crashing into a ditch or turning right and crashing into a guardrail.

Now I am curious what your answers to my 3 questions are?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Not really sure how the first scenario is better in the short and long term?

It's better in the short term because Cutler is better than any of those QBs. It's better in the longterm because knowing you have continuity at the most important position is important to building up a franchise. When you constantly change the QB especially when they have different attributes, it's hard if not impossible to build players around that.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It's better in the short term because Cutler is better than any of those QBs. It's better in the longterm because knowing you have continuity at the most important position is important to building up a franchise. When you constantly change the QB especially when they have different attributes, it's hard if not impossible to build players around that.

As proven by the abundance of playoff appearances for the Bears...before you stroke out thinking I am blaming Cutler for the lack of playoff appearances the team as a whole lacked, but your continuity at the most important position didn't seem to help now did it?

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's better in the short term because Cutler is better than any of those QBs.
We've already had a thread that kind of showed that wasn't really true I the case of guys like Miller/Harbaugh/Kramer etc.

I don't really "know" anything about Cutler and his consistency because that's the biggest problem with him from week to week and year to year. The guy was benched for Jimmy Clausen.

It's better in the longterm because knowing you have continuity
But the Bears had "continuity" of sorts in the other scenario where you knew QB was an issue regardless of who was under center. That really hasn't changed.

When you constantly change the QB especially when they have different attributes, it's hard if not impossible to build players around that.
It's also not possible to build up a franchise when you're getting little to no ROI from a player taking up more cap space than any other player on the team...............

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
IMO there is no difference between the two...essentially you are asking which is worse turning left and crashing into a ditch or turning right and crashing into a guardrail.

Now I am curious what your answers to my 3 questions are?

The first and 2nd questions were answered in my post to FT.

The 3rd relates to the contract in 2013 and I already said that was a mistake. If the current staff thought he was bad enough, he would have been replaced by a FA. I don't know of any good options the Bears could have had in the draft at their position. Who would you have drafted in 2015 or 2016?

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Much like how the ancient Greeks had to make an offering at the Delphi Oracle before receiving an answer, I believe in this instance you have to look up the definition of "sunk cost".

the similarities between the Oracle and didshe...both are high when giving their answers

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As proven by the abundance of playoff appearances for the Bears...before you stroke out thinking I am blaming Cutler for the lack of playoff appearances the team as a whole lacked, but your continuity at the most important position didn't seem to help now did it?

I think Rory's statement needs to be reiterated to didshe:

I just can't believe the football content of your post. I have never seen someone so completely opposite of HISTORICAL reality. We are talking about stuff that has already taken place, and you are still unable to contribute in any meaningful manner.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
We've already had a thread that kind of showed that wasn't really true I the case of guys like Miller/Harbaugh/Kramer etc.

I don't really "know" anything about Cutler and his consistency because that's the biggest problem with him from week to week and year to year. The guy was benched for Jimmy Clausen.

But the Bears had "continuity" of sorts in the other scenario where you knew QB was an issue regardless of who was under center. That really hasn't changed.

It's also not possible to build up a franchise when you're getting little to no ROI from a player taking up more cap space than any other player on the team...............

Those are actually good arguments from your point of view. I think it's a close call. Neither A or B ended up benefiting the Bears but IMO, A was slightly better.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The first and 2nd questions were answered in my post to FT.

The 3rd relates to the contract in 2013 and I already said that was a mistake. If the current staff thought he was bad enough, he would have been replaced by a FA. I don't know of any good options the Bears could have had in the draft at their position. Who would you have drafted in 2015 or 2016?

2015 outside of trading up for Marriota (which the Bears were rumored to have tried) there wasn't any legitimate starting caliber QB's...but I have always felt Glennon could be a great option for the Bears, they could have traded for him and had him backup Cutler until it was time to move on from Cutler. 2016 Paxton Lynch I felt should have been drafted, didn't hate the 'NardFlo pick but would have been just as happy to see them draft Lynch. Another player that could sit, until it won't cost the Bears much to let go.