OT - PHI Extends Fletcher Cox, Most Guaranteed $$ In The NFL For A Non-QB

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
Fletcher Cox gets extended and predictably we get 10 pages bitching about Cutler in the same thread.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fletcher Cox gets extended and predictably we get 10 pages bitching about Cutler in the same thread.

This thread wasn't that bad, considering that the next most active topic is ten pages of bitching about the retirement of a vet min camp body.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
You would think that people would understand a simple concept of what the going rate of a contract/salary is. Oh well.

It is comical that there are fans of the team - who supposedly want this team to win - who think that investing (2) first round picks, a 3rd round pick, a legit starting QB, $102 million (so far), and the potential for a contracted additional $75 million for ONE FUCKING PLAYOFF WIN (against a losing team) - is worth it.

As I have asked at least 20 times, why do you not want the team to win?

I mean, there are actually people on here who are HAPPY when the team loses, just because Cutler didn't throw an int.

Really pathetic.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is comical that there are fans of the team - who supposedly want this team to win - who think that investing (2) first round picks, a 3rd round pick, a legit starting QB, $102 million (so far), and the potential for a contracted additional $75 million for ONE FUCKING PLAYOFF WIN (against a losing team) - is worth it.

As I have asked at least 20 times, why do you not want the team to win?

I mean, there are actually people on here who are HAPPY when the team loses, just because Cutler didn't throw an int.

Really pathetic.

completely different argument.....

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
completely different argument.....

Not really an argument. More of me expressing my disdain for people who are fans of a player above being a fan of the team.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
again most of the people arguing weren't trying to support the trade for Cutler; simply talking about the going rate for QBs....

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
again most of the people arguing weren't trying to support the trade for Cutler; simply talking about the going rate for QBs....

Rory's original point was the total the Bears have put into Cutler.

And while the "argument" you're referring to is about the going rate for a QB, my argument all along is that we have mis-invested from day 1.

And in that line, why that investment is OK with fans of Cutler, but not fans of the Bears.

CallMeYams

Liked Posts:
Cutty got a cannon arm though... that counts for like at least $50 million right?

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
And here we see a simple factual statement (that can be checked) turning into a pointless 4-page pissing match. Let me resolve this one for you guys.

While I agree with the general consensus that Cutler's deal was stupid for the same reasons that everyone is citing (his age, his consistent mediocrity with limited upside, the fact that it was such a long contract with so much money guaranteed, etc), the statement that $18 million a year is the going rate for an average starting NFL quarterback is factually accurate. Here's a list of the 32 top paid NFL quarterbacks by average annual salary (this includes a proration of bonuses over the course of the contract, which is the only reasonable way to calculate it):

1. Joe Flacco $22,133,333
2. Aaron Rodgers $22,000,000
3. Russell Wilson $21,900,000
4. Ben Roethlisberger $21,850,000
5. Eli Manning $21,000,000
6. Philip Rivers $20,812,500
7. Cam Newton $20,760,000
8. Matt Ryan $20,750,000
9. Tom Brady $20,500,000
10. Drew Brees $20,000,000
11. Kirk Cousins $19,953,000
12. Ryan Tannehill $19,250,000
13. Colin Kaepernick $19,000,000
14. Jay Cutler $18,100,000
15. Brock Osweiler $18,000,000
16. Tony Romo $18,000,000
17. Matt Stafford $17,666,667
18. Sam Bradford $17,500,000
19. Alex Smith $17,000,000
20. Carson Palmer $16,500,000
21. Andy Dalton $16,000,000
22. Nick Foles $12,250,000
23. Andrew Luck $7,652,600
24. Robert Griffin III $7,500,000
25. Chase Daniel $7,000,000
26. Jared Goff $6,984,418
27. Carson Wentz $6,669,085
28. Jameis Winston $6,337,819
29. Marcus Mariota $6,053,494
30. Blake Bortles $5,163,701
31. Josh McCown $4,666,667
32. Mark Sanchez $4,500,000

See how $18 million a year puts you smack dab in the middle of the list?

Every QB ahead of Cutler in this list is either more productive than Jay Cutler or are younger and in their first contract extension therefore they are being paid for their future potential.

Cutler's deal is far above market value for a QB with his career. He had his contract extension after his rookie year deal and since then he has no where near lived up to his current market value. There isn't another QB in the NFL that has fucked over his team like Cutler has. The only one fighting for something close to Cutler is Fitzpatrick.
again to be clear this is Cutler's second contract extension versus the first ala Cousins Wilson etc.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
Rory's original point was the total the Bears have put into Cutler.

And while the "argument" you're referring to is about the going rate for a QB, my argument all along is that we have mis-invested from day 1.

And in that line, why that investment is OK with fans of Cutler, but not fans of the Bears.

Disagree here.

Cutler was a 1st round draft pick who just came off of throwing for 4,500 yards, was pretty young and looked to have a good future. It didn't work out how we all hoped but I loved this move when it happened. Got to pull the trigger eventually but that's what happens when trades like that don't work out, the franchise gets set back, people get fired and you have to rebuild. Emery just tried to keep the Bears on life support instead of pulling the plug and starting over which is what he should have done.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Every QB ahead of Cutler in this list is either more productive than Jay Cutler or are younger and in their first contract extension therefore they are being paid for their future potential.

Cutler's deal is far above market value for a QB with his career. He had his contract extension after his rookie year deal and since then he has no where near lived up to his current market value. There isn't another QB in the NFL that has fucked over his team like Cutler has. The only one fighting for something close to Cutler is Fitzpatrick.
again to be clear this is Cutler's second contract extension versus the first ala Cousins Wilson etc.

You did it again!!

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Disagree here.

Cutler was a 1st round draft pick who just came off of throwing for 4,500 yards, was pretty young and looked to have a good future. It didn't work out how we all hoped but I loved this move when it happened. Got to pull the trigger eventually but that's what happens when trades like that don't work out, the franchise gets set back, people get fired and you have to rebuild. Emery just tried to keep the Bears on life support instead of pulling the plug and starting over which is what he should have done.

It seems we actually agree.

I am speaking from the perspective of hindsight,

I was for the trade as well. I was hoping he'd be our all-pro/franchise QB for years.

But, in hindsight, what happened was we traded the team's future and spent a shitload of $ that could have gone elsewhere for an average qb/franchise killer - who we've been stuck with for years.

Woods

Chicago Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
Not really an argument. More of me expressing my disdain for people who are fans of a player above being a fan of the team.

That's like two posters on this board. And it's threads like this one that has them posting the way they do. They probably do like Jay, but not as much as they let on.

But you guys take the bait every time.

They're winning.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
What is worse?

A) Having an AVERAGE QB for 8+ years that gives you a chance to compete if you build a great team around him with a record of 50-47 and ONE playoff win

-OR-

B) Starting...
Rick Mirer
Steve Stenstron
Moses Moreno
Shane Matthews
Cade McNown
Jim Miller
Chris Chandler
Henry Burris
Kordell Stewart
Rex Grossman
Craig Krenzel
Chad Hutchinson
Jonathan Quinn
Kyle Orton
Brian Griese...
In a TWELVE YEAR SPAN and collecting a combined record of 88-104 and TWO playoff wins.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
That's like two posters on this board. And it's threads like this one that has them posting the way they do. They probably do like Jay, but not as much as they let on.

But you guys take the bait every time.

They're winning.

LOL...

If they were actually trolling, they are winning the troll wars.

If they are actually discussing their views (albeit ignorant) what is the harm in discussing?

Im not here to "win" something.

Are you?

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
What is worse?

A) Having an AVERAGE QB for 8+ years that gives you a chance to compete if you build a great team around him with a record of 50-47 and ONE playoff win

-OR-

B) Starting...
Rick Mirer
Steve Stenstron
Moses Moreno
Shane Matthews
Cade McNown
Jim Miller
Chris Chandler
Henry Burris
Kordell Stewart
Rex Grossman
Craig Krenzel
Chad Hutchinson
Jonathan Quinn
Kyle Orton
Brian Griese...
In a TWELVE YEAR SPAN and collecting a combined record of 88-104 and TWO playoff wins.

Why are you comparing him to past QB''s instead of QB's that are playing now that we actually could have had on our team?

Your argument is sillly.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
What is worse?

-OR-

B) Starting...
Rick Mirer
Steve Stenstron
Moses Moreno
Shane Matthews
Cade McNown
Jim Miller
Chris Chandler
Henry Burris
Kordell Stewart
Rex Grossman
Craig Krenzel
Chad Hutchinson
Jonathan Quinn
Kyle Orton
Brian Griese...

The results are the same. The only difference is Cutler has been more fun to watch.