Polian on the cost of JG today

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So you think the Patriots are going to commit over 40 million dollars to the QB position next year? They are going to pay Jimmy top 5 QB money to sit on his ass and do nothing for a season. Yeah OK.

And what if Tom does play 3-4 more seasons? Garoppollo gets older and older and the value gets lower and lower.

Lol, did you read what I said. I said they can franchise and TRADE him next year. They will have enough cap space to franchise him because they have a fuck ton now and they rarely spend big money on FAs. However, they will not have him sit on his ass because they can simply trade him as they don't actually have to pay his franchise salary until the season starts. So all that is required is for them to have the space to franchise him which they will have.

So he is not backed into a corner because he doesn't have to trade him this year. He could easily hold onto him and then franchise and trade him next year. If the goal is to win championships, that's the safer move because the Pats don't really need the draft picks this year and it helps protect against Brady getting injured.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
They still weren't franchise qbs. That's not to say Jimmy necessarily isn't, but if he is it's because he's just that good, not because he's been sitting on the bench at Gillette.
And there weren't franchise QBs for NE. Cassell was 21TD 11INT and 89qbr for NE so he was an average QB on a great team. It's not like they where lighting it up in the NE system and then turned garbage.

And I'm not sure what point your trying to make? That the coaches are NOT important to the development of a QB? All I said was the best coaches developing a QB for 3 years is worth something.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol, did you read what I said. I said they can franchise and TRADE him next year. They will have enough cap space to franchise him because they have a fuck ton now and they rarely spend big money on FAs. However, they will not have him sit on his ass because they can simply trade him as they don't actually have to pay his franchise salary until the season starts. So all that is required is for them to have the space to franchise him which they will have.

So he is not backed into a corner because he doesn't have to trade him this year. He could easily hold onto him and then franchise and trade him next year. If the goal is to win championships, that's the safer move because the Pats don't really need the draft picks this year and it helps protect against Brady getting injured.

Tag and trade tag and trade. When is the last time an nfl player was tagged and traded?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And there weren't franchise QBs for NE. Cassell was 21TD 11INT and 89qbr for NE so he was an average QB on a great team. It's not like they where lighting it up in the NE system and then turned garbage.

And I'm not sure what point your trying to make? That the coaches are NOT important to the development of a QB? All I said was the best coaches developing a QB for 3 years is worth something.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk
Jimmy was injured in his second start so he doesn't have the sample size to say he's different, but I don't doubt he could have won 11 games with them as Cassel did. I think he's probably better than Cassel but I don't think he has the talent of Watson or Kizer.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Garoppolo was a late 2nd round pick based on talent and playing at a lower level of competition.

I am willing to give up a high 2nd and some chance to compensate NE for 3 years of development and a little assurance that the step up in competition was not too big.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Tag and trade tag and trade. When is the last time an nfl player was tagged and traded?

Don't know and don't care. It's an option so it's inaccurate to say BB is backed into a corner. That suggests he has no options which obviously he does.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Don't know and don't care. It's an option so it's inaccurate to say BB is backed into a corner. That suggests he has no options which obviously he does.

Who the hell would trade for him if he gets franchised? All they have to do is wait for him to be cut.. there is no way that the pats are going to carry 40mil for 2 Qbs ..

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why is his profile higher than AJ McCarron? It's like he is extra hyped up because he was on New England. Like there is this fairy dust bullshit people are believing.

He has much better physical tools than McCarron.

Better feet, more mobile, quicker release. It really doesn't have to do with New England, I would want Jimmy is he was in Pittsburgh, NO or anywhere that he was stuck behind and elite QB.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Who the hell would trade for him if he gets franchised? All they have to do is wait for him to be cut.. there is no way that the pats are going to carry 40mil for 2 Qbs ..

So players have never been traded under the franchise tag before?

People would trade for him because they don't want to risk losing him to another team in FA. Given the alleged demand for him there is likely to be several teams interested.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He has much better physical tools than McCarron.

Better feet, more mobile, quicker release. It really doesn't have to do with New England, I would want Jimmy is he was in Pittsburgh, NO or anywhere that he was stuck behind and elite QB.

It's easy to look good behind an elite QB...you never see the field. Jimmy will be exposed if he comes to Chicago and we will all suffer again.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's easy to look good behind an elite QB...you never see the field. Jimmy will be exposed if he comes to Chicago and we will all suffer again.

Again not talking about his performance, which is a bonus.

We are talking about his skill set and how it translates to the NFL. 94 passes is just a confirmation of what we have seen on college and the pre season.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

You really don't have a clue when it comes to business and the NFL, so when the conversation turns to money, please refrain from posting.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

People would trade for him because they don't want to risk losing him to another team in FA. Given the alleged demand for him there is likely to be several teams interested.

News flash, it hasn't happened since the last CBA, when the rookie salary pool was introduced. Tagging Jimmy next year would be the absolute most stupid thing BB could do, if he wanted to trade him. Now, if he wanted to keep him, that's another story, but I highly doubt he would want to commit 45+ mil a year for Qb's. Jimmy's value won't go up next year unless Brady gets hurt, and any trade partner would know the Pats had to unload him, so BB would be backed into a corner.

AussieBear

why not... they usually have the cap flex to do what ever they want.. come 2018... as is... they are projected to have 92 mil.. with brady still under contract....

hell... come this offseason they are 6th in the league with 62 mil...

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
why not... they usually have the cap flex to do what ever they want.. come 2018... as is... they are projected to have 92 mil.. with brady still under contract....

hell... come this offseason they are 6th in the league with 62 mil...

The pats have 19 players that are free agents in 2017 and another 19 that will be free agents in 2018.. that 92mil will disappear real fast when resigning or replacing players

dbldrew

Liked Posts:

The point being is BB is locked into a corner at that point. Teams can lowball because they know he will be cut to make cap space. JG does not have to be cut for cap space this year so BB is not backed into a corner. The most that BB can get for JG is this year.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Polian said yesterday that Chad Kelly is the best QB in the draft.

Sweet Jesus Bill what are you doing.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If they tag Jimmy his value goes down.

That cheap year is a huge asset to the team that trades for him. Allows you to spread the cap hit of his extension out over an additional year.

laputan

Liked Posts:
Polian said yesterday that Chad Kelly is the best QB in the draft.

Sweet Jesus Bill what are you doing.

He also said Jimmy is a better option than all the QBs in the draft, that McCarron is the top available QB this offseason with a higher ceiling than Jimmy, that Cutler has all the intangibles to be great, and that he would trade for Kaepernick if he ran a QB needy team.

So it goes McCarron > Jimmy G > Chad Kelly >> Cutler/Kaepernick >>> Romo/Taylor/Cousins >>> Watson/Trubisky/Kizer

Maybe he's Benjamin Button but just mentally aging backwards.

202-The-Curious-Case-of-Benjamin-Button-quotes.gif