Polian on the cost of JG today

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
3 yrs at 85-90% of Osweilers figure I would think is about right for Garroppolo.

???

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
"Multiple" NFL executives say they prefer A.J. McCarron over Jimmy Garoppolo and Tony Romo (@MoveTheSticks).

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"Multiple" NFL executives say they prefer A.J. McCarron over Jimmy Garoppolo and Tony Romo (@MoveTheSticks).

Release The McKraken

[video=youtube_share;7SqC_m3yUDU]https://youtu.be/7SqC_m3yUDU[/video]

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:

The one he quoted in article preferred him based on the assumption JG costs a lot more. He said for a late second or third McCarron presents more value and you can move on easier the next year if he's no good.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Jason La Confora, " Yee knows well just how much Payton and Pace valued Garoppolo in the draft."

That's why they took a CB 4 picks before JG went off the boards.

In the article he says that Belichek is likely to let Don Yee, Brady and Garoppolo's agent, do a lot of the leg work of the deal in the process of taking contract with interested teams.

I wonder if this means that if the comp is comparable that Jimmy's camp will have some control of where he ends up?

Jimmy has a big say regardless of the compensation. No one is giving BB near what he wants without a long term deal unless they are idiots. JG is in full control of that contract.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

If the Pats franchise tag their backup QB, they'll be signing JG to a 1yr/$25M deal. Even if they think that eating up $25M in cap space is no big deal, how many NFL teams would be able to absorb that 1 year salary cap hit? Even if teams wanted to trade 2 #1s for JG, they wouldn't be able to fit him under the cap. And for the few teams that could fit JG under the cap, you'd still have to negotiate a new deal with him since his contract would be expiring at the end of the year.

So if the Patriots kill their own trade market for JG by franchising him, then they are on the hook to pay him $25M for one season. And then what happens when the seasons concludes? A 2nd year of franchising a BACKUP QB, with the $120% escalator...do you think ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would trade for JG when he has a 1 year deal for $30M?

By franchising JG, the Patriots have created a situation where they can neither hold on to him nor trade him. Simply incredible.
Bringing up cap made it sound like they would keep him if no trade. Best they could reasonably do is forestall his FA by tagging and then rescinding before the deadline. JG is still in control as again, no one is doing that deal without a contract. In this case, teams can simply wait out the Pats or give them less than this year to settle it early. This is a lot like the Patriots being his agent and taking their cut if they can get one. More the cart than the horse.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have not watched a ton of McCarron.

Bengals fans seem to like him and think he can be a top 15 starter with more reps.

I guess if McCarron costs 3(67) and you have him for 2 cheap years that could work for the Bears and the rebuild. They get to eval McCarron as a starter for 2 years while they turn over the roster. If he becomes something great, if not you walk back into the QB market.

Luke

Liked Posts:
I have not watched a ton of McCarron.

Bengals fans seem to like him and think he can be a top 15 starter with more reps.

I guess if McCarron costs 3(67) and you have him for 2 cheap years that could work for the Bears and the rebuild. They get to eval McCarron as a starter for 2 years while they turn over the roster. If he becomes something great, if not you walk back into the QB market.

Who knows what it would take to get him, especially if there are multiple teams interested. Cincy will get a good haul if they do trade him as they don't have to do it this year. All it takes is one team to offer a 2nd and more, that's what I would expect to happen.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Aside from still lacking a QB (the main issue by far), my other side issue with going with Hoyer or McCarron is that they're going to have a hard time attracting FAs who want to win. Guys just looking for the biggest paycheck they can get, sure, but what ambitious player desiring success wants to come to a team with no QB?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Aside from still lacking a QB (the main issue by far), my other side issue with going with Hoyer or McCarron is that they're going to have a hard time attracting FAs who want to win. Guys just looking for the biggest paycheck they can get, sure, but what ambitious player desiring success wants to come to a team with no QB?

Not saying I disagree with this in theory, but wouldn't most of the big FA names be signing before we have decided to either draft a QB or trade for one, or play Hoyer?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not saying I disagree with this in theory, but wouldn't most of the big FA names be signing before we have decided to either draft a QB or trade for one, or play Hoyer?

For this year, yeah probably, depending on when the trade happened. In future years and in general though, a team that places no priority on the QB position and just dumpster dives for "value" QBs is not a team I'd be looking at as a team I'd be likely to win on, if I were a FA.

The Bears are already up there with the Browns as the most dysfunctional teams in the league at QB. If they pass yet again in a year where they have the capital available to take a serious swing at getting it right, as a FA next year and onwards, I wouldn't want anything to do with them. Not until they displayed some ambition and at least tried to get a franchise player.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's why they took a CB 4 picks before JG went off the boards.

Jimmy has a big say regardless of the compensation. No one is giving BB near what he wants without a long term deal unless they are idiots. JG is in full control of that contract.

This is my point and why BB will not get a 1st rd pick for him. You can not realistically get JG with a long term contract. The only way would be for the Pas to sing him to an extension and then trade him. That is even a riskier for the Pats then the tag and trade idea as suggested before. Also Jimmy's trade value is never going to be higher, unless he plays more games at a high level.

Honestly what contact would you rather have included in a trade for Jimmy Garoppolo
His current 1 year 1.18 MIL contract and sign him LT after you see him in training camp hopefully after he is named the starter, or cut him at the end of the season
1 year 25 mil tagged contract .. as Remy suggested (not sure if serious)
Long term as suggested 4 year 70-80MIL contract .. Like Houston, we will be stuck with him for years

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is my point and why BB will not get a 1st rd pick for him. You can not realistically get JG with a long term contract. The only way would be for the Pas to sing him to an extension and then trade him. That is even a riskier for the Pats then the tag and trade idea as suggested before. Also Jimmy's trade value is never going to be higher, unless he plays more games at a high level.

Honestly what contact would you rather have included in a trade for Jimmy Garoppolo
His current 1 year 1.18 MIL contract and sign him LT after you see him in training camp hopefully after he is named the starter, or cut him at the end of the season
1 year 25 mil tagged contract .. as Remy suggested (not sure if serious)
Long term as suggested 4 year 70-80MIL contract .. Like Houston, we will be stuck with him for years

Extensions get negotiated before trades all the time.

If Jimmy gets dealt he will sign a new deal with his team within a couple of days.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No matter who the Bears have at QB they are going to have a tough time selling winning culture and team success.

I actually think the easiest way to sell that idea is with Garoppolo as he probably gives them the best chance to win when the current free agents are going to be relevant and in their prime.

If I am Alshon Jeffery he is the QB I am most interested in playing with.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
No matter who the Bears have at QB they are going to have a tough time selling winning culture and team success.

I actually think the easiest way to sell that idea is with Garoppolo as he probably gives them the best chance to win when the current free agents are going to be relevant and in their prime.

If I am Alshon Jeffery he is the QB I am most interested in playing with.

I'm not so sure about that. I think Pace is a very likeable and relatable guy. He's young, he's a straight shooter, and he could probably sell his vision pretty easily...especially if he's the highest bidder. Let's face it, that's the bottom line in the NFL and sports. Pace could sell what he's building and point to the roster he had when he took over filled with old has beens and nobodies. There's definitely more talent on the roster now....it hasn't showed up in the win column yet...but mostly that's due to the QB situation and a terrible secondary. Not to mention injuries. Pace should be able to completely revamp the secondary this season...obviously the QB situation is the biggest to figure out. But if he comes in with legit offers and lays out his plan, I don't think he'll have a problem selling guys to come here. Money goes a long way in and of itself.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think the number of NFL players who would actually take less money to sign for a 'winner' is very small. The only thing that might keep players from signing with the Bears is how they treat their current players...the dick around with Alshon Jeffery might make big name FAs reluctant to sign, but even then, if the money is right then anyone would sign with the Bears.

Agreed.

The Bears have been ass for years and still sign guys every year.

But I doubt in the Bears presentation they talk about the past and winning.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I think the number of NFL players who would actually take less money to sign for a 'winner' is very small. The only thing that might keep players from signing with the Bears is how they treat their current players...the dick around with Alshon Jeffery might make big name FAs reluctant to sign, but even then, if the money is right then anyone would sign with the Bears.

They haven't even really dicked Alshon around. No more than any other organization deciding what to do with a player after being tagged once already. Reports were the Bears made a "fair offer" before tagging him....and have made another "fair" offer to him....Alshon, naturally, wants to get the most money as possible and will have a market. The Bears, naturally, don't want to overpay for a guy who hasn't produced like a number 1 for 2 seasons. That's not dicking around....that's just good business.

AussieBear

Agreed.

The Bears have been ass for years and still sign guys every year.

But I doubt in the Bears presentation they talk about the past and winning.

they talk about the past... because thats all they got..