Polian on the cost of JG today

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Polian said yesterday that Chad Kelly is the best QB in the draft.

Sweet Jesus Bill what are you doing.

I see why he likes Chad Kelly. He probably goes in the 2nd round if it wasn't for his injury and character/criminal issues.

Luke

Liked Posts:
he's equal to Watson, at least in torching the bama defense the last two years.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:

He's gone downhill quite a bit in the last six months. As someone who works in mental health, I think he needs to go to a memory clinic right now.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The point being is BB is locked into a corner at that point. Teams can lowball because they know he will be cut to make cap space. JG does not have to be cut for cap space this year so BB is not backed into a corner. The most that BB can get for JG is this year.

Lol this is the entire point. I was responding to a poster saying he is backed into a corner this year by pointing out that is false because he can franchise and trade him next year.

So thanks for agreeing with me that he is not backed into a corner right now.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If they tag Jimmy his value goes down.

That cheap year is a huge asset to the team that trades for him. Allows you to spread the cap hit of his extension out over an additional year.

Depends on demand. The teams that would looking for a QB next year are going to be different than the ones looking this year and it all boils down to what other options that team has and how deseparate they are.

Further, I think BB values winning a championship more than he values a draft pick. No draft pick this year is going to be more valuable to winning another SB than JG providing insurance in case of Brady's injury. Unless of course BB thinks JG is merely a reflection of his system and that Brisset could do the same job which if true then calls into question why you would trade for him.

Like Brady has 3-5 years left. Do we really think BB is going to trade a Pro Bowl QB away in that time span unless he absolutely has to when all it does is create more competition and removes a great insurance policy over that window?

Alpha

CBMB Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
the bears should offer the second round pick fo jg

Alpha

CBMB Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
of Offer Alshon for JG straight up.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Depends on demand. The teams that would looking for a QB next year are going to be different than the ones looking this year and it all boils down to what other options that team has and how deseparate they are.

Further, I think BB values winning a championship more than he values a draft pick. No draft pick this year is going to be more valuable to winning another SB than JG providing insurance in case of Brady's injury. Unless of course BB thinks JG is merely a reflection of his system and that Brisset could do the same job which if true then calls into question why you would trade for him.

Like Brady has 3-5 years left. Do we really think BB is going to trade a Pro Bowl QB away in that time span unless he absolutely has to when all it does is create more competition and removes a great insurance policy over that window?

Yup, no high round possible starting draft pick will be more instrumental to the Pats success in 2017 than a clip board holding QB.

More Remy gold.........

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yup, no high round possible starting draft pick will be more instrumental to the Pats success in 2017 than a clip board holding QB.

More Remy gold.........

Lol if Brady goes down without a capable backup, SB chances done.

The Pats just won the SB without this magical draft pick. I don't think they need this draft pick to win a SB next year.

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
Just an FYI...

In the last CBA, they changed some rules on trading players that are franchised. It's not against the rules, but the player, players union and Goodell have to all put their stamp of approval on the deal. So it makes it much harder to get a deal done. The players union complained that it takes away free agency from the player and goes against the spirit of the rule. They were going to make it against the rules, but instead they just require consent from everyone.

What will happen more often is a player gets franchised and if something magical doesn't come up and the team can't find a way to sign the player or make a trade, they rescind the tag. That's what happened with Josh Norman last year.

Belichick might want to keep Jimmy because Brady has communicated that he won't play for long. But if he believes Brady will be around for 3+ years and he wants to get something out of Jimmy G, he's going have to move him this offseason.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Very fair point. I would still lean on keeping JG this year if I were BB just for insurance against a BRady injury. Unless of course I don't actually think he is all that great in which case sure trade him to someone now.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I do know that the guy has certainly got big time talent. IT is what is between his ears that has been the problem. Might be worth a chance in the 3rd or 4th round?

AussieBear

polian is aussiebear...

ppl forget.... kelly was once a guy ppl kept ranking as a high day 1 pick...

AussieBear

The pats have 19 players that are free agents in 2017 and another 19 that will be free agents in 2018.. that 92mil will disappear real fast when resigning or replacing players

and bill will draft 20 7ths rders, sign another 10 rfas and trade for another 10 busts to fill the void...

they always have cap.. players always give them discounts too..

AussieBear

polian is aussiebear...

ppl forget..... kelly was once a guy ppl kept ranking as a high day 1 pick...

giphy.gif

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jason La Confora

If anything, I’d say every factor -- including Brady’s Super Bowl MVP season -- points to a deal going down. And after Sam Bradford just went for a 1 and a 4 -- albeit it under duress -- you can’t convince me teams won’t be willing to give Belichick something similar. I’d also point out that, of the interested teams, Yee has known Bears GM Ryan Pace from his earliest days, as Yee represents Saints coach Sean Payton, and Pace went straight from Eastern Illinois to start a 14-year run with the Saints front office. Yee knows well just how much Payton and Pace valued Garoppolo in the draft. Putting a deal together between those two wouldn’t be difficult.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In the article he says that Belichek is likely to let Don Yee, Brady and Garoppolo's agent, do a lot of the leg work of the deal in the process of taking contract with interested teams.

I wonder if this means that if the comp is comparable that Jimmy's camp will have some control of where he ends up?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
apparently, especially with JG agreeing to a deal with the team.

I don't think it will be the biggest factor, but the contract extension ups his value. Knowing you don't have to tag him for 25 million would have value to the team trading for him.