Prospect Buzz

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't like Smith as a 3-4 DE. I think he needs 10 more lbs for it. Love him as a 4-3 DE though

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What's really crazy is that Armstead is now ranked ahead of Preston Smith, despite Smith being a better athlete, better football player, and having actual production in a scheme that had him playing everything from 3-4 NT to 3-4 five tech to 4-3 DE.

I really like Preston Smith.

I also think Smith will probably sneak into the 1st round because of a lack of 4-3 DEs. The guy has really scary potential if someone can teach him to consistently use his length and strength.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And to think he's doing it by not playing a down of football. That's what's most incredible (incredulous?) that a guy hasn't played a down of football is now trending as a top-15 pick to some of these assclowns. It flat out boggles my mind.

Part of it is being an underclass men and guys not watching a ton of your tape until you actually declare.

Part of it is the combine and measurements, which are not as important as the tape but play a role in the evaluation.

Part of it is the private workouts. You get to see what a guy could potential do in your scheme and whether he fits your plan. Maybe he moves better than a 2 gap De like he was asked to be.

In the case of Armstead it is all about consistency. If you get Florida St/Ohio St Armstead then he is probably worth a top 15 pick. Then you ask yourself if your coach can make him more consistent.

My guess is as long as Fangio is here the Bears will be taking more risks on defense and trusting him to coach them up.

But I agree that Armstead in the top 10 is a little crazy.

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't like Smith as a 3-4 DE. I think he needs 10 more lbs for it. Love him as a 4-3 DE though

10lbs is easy.

He probably cut 10-15 to run fast at the combine. And at 22 he is going to get bigger just because he will mature physically.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
He has the frame to play at 290+. Not worried about his weight right now.
Im worried about his effectiveness at that weight though. I know what 270lb Smith can do. Cam Jordan is s good comp though.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Im worried about his effectiveness at that weight though. I know what 270lb Smith can do. Cam Jordan is s good comp though.

Both have exceptional length.

That is a nice comp. What impresses me most about Smith is that he racked up 9 sacks rushing all over the DL, which is something that Justin Smith does in SF.

This is what tears me on Armstead. Smith has more pass rush ability which is more important to me than 2" of height.

That is why I would have like to have seen Armstead do more pass rush specific drills to see if he has the same bend and redirect.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I think Smith at 285 will be ideal at 5 tech with the versatility to kick inside. By his 2nd year in the league at 24 years old he'd carry that weight well and not really hinder his natural athletic ability.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Kevin White - WR - Mountaineers
An anonymous NFL scout told ESPN that West Virginia WR Kevin White is "not going to make his living with his quickness" and will "have to work on bump-and-run and on releasing versus an NFL corner."
"Physically, he's got what you want: size, speed, hands, competitiveness," the scout said. "Because he was a juco transfer and a nonqualifier out of high school, he's going to have to show that he has the ability to understand, repeat and make changes. I think he has that in him, but he's going to have to convince people in the league." Sam Monson of Pro Football Focus passed along that White broke 25 tackles in 2014, one shy of the FBS best. "He does a great job of creating late separation when the ball is in the air," wrote ESPN's Todd McShay. "He uses his body to shield defenders and has very good body control. He made a lot of tough, contested catches on tape in 2014." Added Mel Kiper Jr.: "If there were questions about White's aptitude or work ethic, I think his 2014 season put most to rest. He completely transformed himself, getting stronger physically and becoming more adept as a route runner."
Source: ESPN Insider Apr 8 - 9:00 PM

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Hau'oli Kikaha - DL - Huskies
At his pro day, Washington edge rusher Hau'oli Kikaha's "lack of speed confirmed a lot of fears, and I've been told since the combine, a number of teams have removed him from their boards over medical concerns," reports TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.
Kikaha had a poor showing at the showcase, running forties timed between the high 4.8s and mid 4.9s. Kikaha weighed in at 243 pounds, 10 less than at the combine, but Pauline reported his 40 time at 4.97 seconds anyway. We would strongly suggest to NFL franchises that they should stop Kikaha's tumble if that's what happens later this month. The 6-foot-3, 250-pound Kikaha is hyper productive, posting 19 sacks, 73 tackles and two forced fumbles in 2014.
Source: Walter Football Apr 8 - 7:04 PM

Shane Ray - DL - Tigers
CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora postulates that the Bears will go edge rusher at No. 7.
"I'm going to go with the scouts' take that Vic Beasley is more of a 3-4 guy and I see John Fox looking for someone who slides maybe easier into a 4-3 and can get after the quarterback," he wrote, slotting Missouri edge rusher Shane Ray to Chicago. While he isn't convinced Ray is the guy, La Canfora is pretty confident the team will take an edge rusher if it stays in the No. 7 slot. "This almost has to be a pass rusher to me," he wrote. "It's imperative with Aaron Rodgers and Matt Stafford and now Teddy Bridgewater in the division. And this defense has been horrific the past few years and devoid of anything to scare opposing quarterbacks. You could certainly make the case for a corner, too, (or a defensive tackle or a pretty much anything on that side of the ball), but a disruptive force off the edge carries the day for me here."
Source: CBS Sports

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Dante Fowler - DL - Gators
CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora will "play a hunch and go with [Florida edge rusher Dante Fowler] in Scot McCloughan's first draft for Washington."
"Put this kid on the other side of Ryan Kerrigan and you just might quickly upgrade over Brian Orakpo," La Canfora wrote. "Regardless, I'm thinking an edge rusher is the play here as the Skins need to add teeth to a long sagging defense." Fowler is considered a top-5 lock by some. The prospect himself believes he's ticketed to the Jaguars at No. 3.
Source: CBS Sports Apr 8 - 5:49 PM

Arik Armstead - DL - Ducks
Oregon DL Arik Armstead will have a pre-draft visit the 49ers at some point this month.
With defensive end Justin Smith considering retirement and Darnell Dockett probably not far behind, the 49ers need to fortify their defensive front in the draft. The 6-foot-7, 292-pound Armstead, who could conceivably play anywhere on the line, would be a good fit. ESPN's Steve Muench compares Armstead to Calais Campbell and Jared Odrick. Stats & Information Group's Sharon Katz, on the other hand, offers Ra'Shede Hageman, Quinton Coples, Gerald McCoy and Margus Hunt as comparisons to Armstead, the fourth-tallest DL measured at the combine since 2006.
Source: ProFootballTalk on NBCSports.com Apr 8 - 5:36 PM

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Eli Harold - DL - Cavaliers
Per Yahoo's Rand Getlin, Virginia edge rusher Eli Harold has visited and/or worked out for 14 teams including the Steelers, Bears, Jags, Saints and Jets.
It's no surprise that NFL teams want to see Harold, as he's an early entrant who is only 20 years old. NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein ranks Harold as the No. 6 edge rusher in the class and compares him to Olivier Vernon. The 6-foot-3, 247-pound Harold posted a 1.56 10-yard split on his 4.60 forty at the combine. Harold recorded 14.5 tackles for a loss and seven sacks last season, earning Second-team All-ACC honors
Source: Rand Getlin on Twitter Apr 8 - 3:53 PM

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@RobRang: League sources say Miami Dolphins are exploring the possibility of trading into the top 10. Who might be the target? http://t.co/MerBeiPFA0

Thinks they trade their 1st next year.

If the Bears really want to target a QB next year they should try and stockpile 2016 picks so they have the ammunition to move.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
@RobRang: League sources say Miami Dolphins are exploring the possibility of trading into the top 10. Who might be the target? http://t.co/MerBeiPFA0

Thinks they trade their 1st next year.

If the Bears really want to target a QB next year they should try and stockpile 2016 picks so they have the ammunition to move.
I would have said WR but they traded for Stills.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Stills and Landry is not much of a WR does and has not size.

True but it still doesn't make sense to me given that both Parker and Strong will probably be on the board with their pick. I can't imagine what position they would target.

Wr is still a need for them, they need to replace Clays production.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
True but it still doesn't make sense to me given that both Parker and Strong will probably be on the board with their pick. I can't imagine what position they would target.

Wr is still a need for them, they need to replace Clays production.

I don't think Parker will be there. Cleveland, St Louis or somebody like SF will gladly trade up and grab him. He is a top 10 talent. Dolphins will need to make a move if they want him.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think Parker will be there. Cleveland, St Louis or somebody like SF will gladly trade up and grab him. He is a top 10 talent. Dolphins will need to make a move if they want him.

I would move down to 15 for a 4th and future 1st round pick.

Delayed gratification for next season.

Having 2 potentially top 20 picks could go along way to securing the QB of the future.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I would move down to 15 for a 4th and future 1st round pick.

Delayed gratification for next season.

Having 2 potentially top 20 picks could go along way to securing the QB of the future.

Well Buffalo got the 16th, a 2nd, 3rd and late round pick for #9 2 years ago. I think that would be a reasonable deal. Could still grab a guy like Arik Armstead, Malcolm Brown, Alvin Dupree, Landon Collins or La'el Collins at #15.

I still think however, if Mariota makes it to 7 (it's possible) if Titans pass on him...Bears have to grab Mariota at this point. Take advantage of getting a very good QB prospect while we have a high pick.