Prospect Buzz

TL1961

Liked Posts:
well if you see anyone close to LT in this draft, let me know. i sure don't. not even close.

if i'm putting purely football grades on the players in this draft, gurley is #1. he's an elite talent. if he stays healthy, he's a top 3 running back in the NFL by maybe the end of his rookie year. honestly, he could be the best running back in football in 2016.

can that be said about any other prospect in this draft? i'd personally say no. but that's just me. i probably would not draft gurley not just because of the injury, but because his style of running is not likely to yield a long career. that said, if teams determine that he is at no greater risk of injury then any other running back, he's a top 10 pick for sure.

No, there is no other prospect in this draft I would expect to be the top RB in 2016.

But we need every other position more. And he won't be the best available player when we pick.

If Williams falls to 7 and we pick Gurley, I will call for Pace's head. But that won't happen, and I expect to be happy with this draft.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I was high on Garcia at center before the offseason really took off and now he may go in round 3-6. It seems like the bears need to address the Oline, but they basically get Slauson back and have upgraded at center. Plus, Ola showed some promise last year. Groy is practicing at center so idk if they draft a center this year as a backup; Id still look at a T/G somewhere in the draft. Maybe they get lucky with Vlad and tap into his potential.

Montgomery is a good run blocking center, the downside is thats hes 32 - so maybe you get 2-3 years out of him in a best case scenario.

Heres an old article on Montgomery

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27128238/will-montgomery-has-aided-denver-broncos-running-game

If Jay werent Jay, id be all for adding a WR at 7. Can Jay ever reach his potential?? IDK, being an optimist i wont say he never will. However, at the end of the day if he's just Jay Jay; play to his strengths, limit the need to throw 50 times a game and throw off the run.

Can Alshon be that guy without beast across from him, we will see. I do know that with two top WRs, Jay was still Jay - that same Jay with the likes of Hester, Knox, Olsen and Earl.

When I look at the roster, BPA for every pick should probably be the approach this year. While there are tons of question marks on defense, there are a lot of bodies there that no one really knows how they'll transition to a 3-4 and better coaching?!?

I see a need for at DE for sure, NT idk, sure Rat is old, but how will they use Ego and Sutton? LBer is log jammed right now, but adding at least 1 edge rusher wouldnt be a bad thing. Cb could use another body, and safety could use another guy or two.

This post says we are strong all across the O Line. That's crazy.

AussieBear

This post says we are strong all across the O Line. That's crazy.

im not saying they are great across the line, but i am saying they are better off on than last year when it comes to paper potential. every team in the NFL has ? marks at group positions.

AussieBear

i went back and looked at tape on melvin gordon.... his agent needs to get tiki barber on the phone to tell the boy how to carry the rock higher and tight.. those 7 fumbles last year arent a fluke if he doesnt correct the way he carries the ball.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
i went back and looked at tape on melvin gordon.... his agent needs to get tiki barber on the phone to tell the boy how to carry the rock higher and tight.. those 7 fumbles last year arent a fluke if he doesnt correct the way he carries the ball.

Agree, very concerning. Him and the back from Nebraska. Ball from Wisconsin was also a fumbler and it continued in the NFL.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
"Iowa OL Brandon Scherff is drawing "heavy interest" from teams in the pick five through nine range.
We have been linking Scherff to the Redskins for some time. Teams typically do not value interior offensive linemen in the top ten, but Zack Martin's immediate impact and success likely changes that. And we would not rule out some teams evaluating Scherff as a tackle.
Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter Apr 24 - 9:53 AM"

"Alvin Dupree - DL - Wildcats
The Redskins are taking a last minute visit to see Kentucky edge rusher Bud Dupree, according to Aaron Wilson.
The Redskins' staff is traveling to Macon, GA, close to Dupree's home. Few prospects are generating as much buzz as Dupree. Would could see him taken as early as No. 4 with the Raiders and as late as the Falcons at No. 8. He has ridiculous measurables and teams are fond of his personality, but Dupree's tape is a bit underwhelming."

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Even if Williams fall to our pick?
And who do you take with 13th and 31st?

If Williams falls then I would take him

But at 13 and 31 I'm taking Gregory and at 31, taking BPA someone always falls to late 1st.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
"Aaron Leming @AaronLemingNFL · 19h 19 hours ago
A lot of talk about Alvin Dupree being a top target for the #Raiders all of the sudden. Not sure I believe it but he's a top 10 talent."

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
From the Sun Times:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/bears-football/7/71/545007/nfl-mock-draft-roundup-experts-believe-bears-will-take

"Here’s a roundup of who all the experts like for the Bears with one week to go until the draft comes to Chicago:

Patrick Finley, Chicago Sun-Times: Kevin White, WR, West Virginia

The team might prefer the Raiders draft White’s upside and leave them the more reliable Cooper — a move that would reinforce decades of Oakland draft decisions — and could even consider trading down to gather more assets.

Some fear White is a one-year wonder after he totaled 1,447 yards on 109 catches in his senior season. The year before, his first in Div. I-A after a JuCo stint, he had almost one-third the production, catching 35 passes for 507 yards.

Still, White is electric — he ran a 4.35-second 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine — and could slide seamlessly into the hole left by Brandon Marshall.

Mark Potash, Chicago Sun-Times: Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama

The analysis of Cooper to the Bears remains the same as well: Besides athleticism and speed and good-enough size at 6-1, 211, he’s an expert route-runner — an NFL-ready quality particularly important with a finicky quarterback like Jay Cutler, who sometimes seems to tune out guys who don’t know their job. The only question is whether the Raiders take Cooper at No. 4. That would leave the Bears with West Virginia’s Kevin White, which might not be a little tougher decision for them, or not.

Mel Kiper, ESPN: Kevin White, WR, West Virginia

White has the deep speed and size the Bears need in the passing game as they fill the void left by the departure of Brandon Marshall, and White feels like a pretty good get at this point. I do think he’s in play at both No. 3 and No. 4. I can see the Bears looking at a pass-rusher here, but it might be a bit too rich for Vic Beasley and Randy Gregory, and Shane Ray will go through an adjustment period here. White gives the Bears a much-needed threat in the passing game regardless of who plays QB, and the value is good here.

Todd McShay, ESPN: Leonard Williams, DE, USC

To be clear: Williams dropping to No. 7 here has nothing to do with my opinion of him as a player. He’s the No. 2 prospect on my board and I’ve had him ranked as one of the top players in this class since the preseason. But this scenario does show how he has the potential to drop a little bit if he gets out of the top two picks based on the needs of teams picking third through seventh. He wouldn’t fill a huge need for the Bears, but at this point he’s too good of a value for them to pass up, especially given how bad their defense has been the past two seasons. The Chicago Bears ranked 31st in the league in scoring defense? That’s just not right. Williams is an impact run-stopper and above-average interior pass-rusher who can play multiple roles in different schemes. If Williams isn’t available here, then WR Kevin White would be the pick.

Doug Farrar, Sports Illustrated: Leonard Williams, DE, USC

Some will tell you that Williams is the best player in this draft class, while others don’t see it. What the tape shows is a great two-gap end who can play all over the formation, and he’d be a great fit in the system run by new defensive coordinator Vic Fangio. Fangio prefers linemen who can move all around and disrupt—that’s why the Bears signed former Ravens Swiss Army knife Pernell McPhee to a five-year, $39 million contract this offseason—and Williams fits that bill perfectly. He’s not quite as big as Justin Smith, who alternated between tackle and end in San Francisco’s base and situational fronts, but he’s already played everywhere from one-tech to end with impressive consistency.​

Matt Miller, Bleacher Report: Kevin White, WR, West Virginia

Dane Brugler, CBS Sports: Kevin White, WR, West Virginia

This pick has to be defense, right? After the Brandon Marshall trade, wide receiver is now a possibility and with White still on the board, it’s a match that makes sense.

Josh Norris, Rotoworld: Arik Armstead, DL, Oregon

Yes, I’m crazy for projecting Armstead to be drafted ahead of the edge rushers. However, I could see teams ranking Armstead at the same level as Leonard Williams. Jay Ratliff, Ray McDonald and Jarvis Jenkins are all on one-year deals."

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
From the Sun Times:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/bears-football/7/71/545007/nfl-mock-draft-roundup-experts-believe-bears-will-take

"Here’s a roundup of who all the experts like for the Bears with one week to go until the draft comes to Chicago:

Patrick Finley, Chicago Sun-Times: Kevin White, WR, West Virginia

The team might prefer the Raiders draft White’s upside and leave them the more reliable Cooper — a move that would reinforce decades of Oakland draft decisions — and could even consider trading down to gather more assets.

Some fear White is a one-year wonder after he totaled 1,447 yards on 109 catches in his senior season. The year before, his first in Div. I-A after a JuCo stint, he had almost one-third the production, catching 35 passes for 507 yards.

Still, White is electric — he ran a 4.35-second 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine — and could slide seamlessly into the hole left by Brandon Marshall.

Mark Potash, Chicago Sun-Times: Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama

The analysis of Cooper to the Bears remains the same as well: Besides athleticism and speed and good-enough size at 6-1, 211, he’s an expert route-runner — an NFL-ready quality particularly important with a finicky quarterback like Jay Cutler, who sometimes seems to tune out guys who don’t know their job. The only question is whether the Raiders take Cooper at No. 4. That would leave the Bears with West Virginia’s Kevin White, which might not be a little tougher decision for them, or not.

Mel Kiper, ESPN: Kevin White, WR, West Virginia

White has the deep speed and size the Bears need in the passing game as they fill the void left by the departure of Brandon Marshall, and White feels like a pretty good get at this point. I do think he’s in play at both No. 3 and No. 4. I can see the Bears looking at a pass-rusher here, but it might be a bit too rich for Vic Beasley and Randy Gregory, and Shane Ray will go through an adjustment period here. White gives the Bears a much-needed threat in the passing game regardless of who plays QB, and the value is good here.

Todd McShay, ESPN: Leonard Williams, DE, USC

To be clear: Williams dropping to No. 7 here has nothing to do with my opinion of him as a player. He’s the No. 2 prospect on my board and I’ve had him ranked as one of the top players in this class since the preseason. But this scenario does show how he has the potential to drop a little bit if he gets out of the top two picks based on the needs of teams picking third through seventh. He wouldn’t fill a huge need for the Bears, but at this point he’s too good of a value for them to pass up, especially given how bad their defense has been the past two seasons. The Chicago Bears ranked 31st in the league in scoring defense? That’s just not right. Williams is an impact run-stopper and above-average interior pass-rusher who can play multiple roles in different schemes. If Williams isn’t available here, then WR Kevin White would be the pick.

Doug Farrar, Sports Illustrated: Leonard Williams, DE, USC

Some will tell you that Williams is the best player in this draft class, while others don’t see it. What the tape shows is a great two-gap end who can play all over the formation, and he’d be a great fit in the system run by new defensive coordinator Vic Fangio. Fangio prefers linemen who can move all around and disrupt—that’s why the Bears signed former Ravens Swiss Army knife Pernell McPhee to a five-year, $39 million contract this offseason—and Williams fits that bill perfectly. He’s not quite as big as Justin Smith, who alternated between tackle and end in San Francisco’s base and situational fronts, but he’s already played everywhere from one-tech to end with impressive consistency.​

Matt Miller, Bleacher Report: Kevin White, WR, West Virginia

Dane Brugler, CBS Sports: Kevin White, WR, West Virginia

This pick has to be defense, right? After the Brandon Marshall trade, wide receiver is now a possibility and with White still on the board, it’s a match that makes sense.

Josh Norris, Rotoworld: Arik Armstead, DL, Oregon

Yes, I’m crazy for projecting Armstead to be drafted ahead of the edge rushers. However, I could see teams ranking Armstead at the same level as Leonard Williams. Jay Ratliff, Ray McDonald and Jarvis Jenkins are all on one-year deals."

I'm leaning towards Kevin White being our pick at 7.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
National Football Post's Big Board:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2015-nfp-big-board/

1 Leonard Williams DT Southern California Jr 77 302 Report A 7.5
2 Dante Fowler Jr. OLB Florida Jr 75 261 Report A 7.4
3 Jameis Winston QB Florida State rSo 76 231 Report A 7.4 x
4 Amari Cooper WR Alabama Jr 73 211 Report A 7.3
5 Vic Beasley OLB Clemson rSr 75 246 Report A 7.3"

AussieBear

Agree, very concerning. Him and the back from Nebraska. Ball from Wisconsin was also a fumbler and it continued in the NFL.

you would think some coach would have pointed out how bad he carries the ball. i mean at times he could turn the ball over and raise his arm and almost be in a hand position to throw the ball. i saw way too many carries where hes not even securing the point of the ball.. the peanuts of the world will eat him alive.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Even if Williams fall to our pick?
And who do you take with 13th and 31st?

I would probably take Williams.

But 13 and 31 is a lot, hard to turn down.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If that was the offer I do not care who is on the board I am moving down.

who would you target at 13, 31, and 39 then? something like this maybe?

13. shelton or dupree
31. byron jones or landon collins or eli harold
39. DGB

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Why because the media has underrated him so you aren't used to his name so high?

You may find come Thursday that NFL teams disagree.

Supposedly the Raiders are really interested in him. I hope the Raiders do draft him so the Bears have a better chance at landing Amari Cooper, Leonard Williams or Vic Beasley.