Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I would be happy with Scherff. A pick that upgrades your trenches is always a good pick. You can plug him in at RT or move Long out to RT and shift Scherff in at guard. Fox and Gase know about moving players around on the line (they did so very effectively in Denver) and if they think Long can make a seamless transition to tackle, I would be all for it. Can you imagine Long taking Scherff under his wing and those two working out together? Those guys would be two cornerstones for our offensive line for the better part of a decade.

Scherff never visited the Bears though...Bears might not see the value there at #7.

The more I read, the more I believe he is highly valued by NFL talent evaluators. I think he's going top ten. You're right, he and Long side by side would be a thing of "beauty" to watch. I watched Zack Martin knock Bears back to the 2nd level all night last year. Murray was running through holes that shouldn't be that big in the NFL. Being able to control the ball and beat your opponent into submission is worth a top ten pick. Slauson, Long and Scherff would be a nasty trio.

scherff2.jpg

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Nice to see for one of the local guys...

"Laken Tomlinson - G - Blue Devils
An anonymous NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that if "there's a first-round guard in this draft and he's not a conversion it's" Duke OG Laken Tomlinson.
"He's a plug-and-play, start-first-day right or left guard," he said. "He plays better than (Chance) Warmack. He's big, athletic, he can pull, he can block at the point, he's smart. He might be a great center, too, if you tried him there." Tomlinson is sharp and wants to be a doctor after his playing days are over, but scouts do not question his love for the game. "He looks better on the hoof than any subject in the draft other than Scherff," another scout said. "Great kid, smart (Wonderlic of 23). But how many Duke linemen have there been? You can't name them. Plus, he gets over his toes. He's top-heavy."
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Apr 26 - 2:17 AM"

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Be frank though windy; you're not a big Ray fan because of things that don't necessarily pertain to football like the underwear Olympics.

The Bucs had 12 straight losing seasons and they consistently had the fastest 3-cone, 40 and top bench performers. Until they drafted two undersized, ultra productive pure football players in the same draft. Both ended up being HOFers

Potential gets coaches fired all the time. (Insert Cutler).
I do't mind Ray but he's not in my top 7 either and it's not about the combine. He's good at finishing up but a lot of his big plays are cleanup type plays and not so much running around a tackle one on one. Hard for OLBs to overpower NFL Ts. I think he'll be a VG productive pro but not that special pass rusher or physical specimen you look for at 7. Don't pick on physical specimen either. That's with good football player as a given. Why I have Perriman rated below others. It's not about the combine for me with Ray but the combine matters. I did drop Carimi in my mind because of his poor feet that showed up in the combine. If they took ass measurements, that would have dropped him more, LOL.

I could be wrong. We all have been on draft day.

AussieBear

Fun but wouldn't do a think for my draft ideas if i were a gm. Until you see him move laterally with some anger, you rely on your doctors

true, still nice to see him moving though. since the bears have forte, i wouldnt even rush gurley back until week 4-8..

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I do't mind Ray but he's not in my top 7 either and it's not about the combine. He's good at finishing up but a lot of his big plays are cleanup type plays and not so much running around a tackle one on one. Hard for OLBs to overpower NFL Ts. I think he'll be a VG productive pro but not that special pass rusher or physical specimen you look for at 7. Don't pick on physical specimen either. That's with good football player as a given. Why I have Perriman rated below others. It's not about the combine for me with Ray but the combine matters. I did drop Carimi in my mind because of his poor feet that showed up in the combine. If they took ass measurements, that would have dropped him more, LOL.

Your statement about Ray is completely false. His best skill is "running around tackles one on one". If anything he could be criticized for that being fat and away his best skill over other more well rounded skills. The thing about that though is this is a class full of one dimensional rushers versus well rounded Khalil Mack type players.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
More running a bit through them and I addressed that, no doubt the kids got good leverage but we can differ in how well it will translate.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
true, still nice to see him moving though. since the bears have forte, i wouldnt even rush gurley back until week 4-8..

On trade down maybe.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@AllbrightNFL: I'm not ruling out that Chip may get Mariota, but everything I have heard indicates otherwise.

Media pimping the "he will" narrative.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
On my all offense mock, Mariotta fell to us!

Check it:

1: R1P7
QB MARCUS MARIOTA
OREGON
2: R2P7
WR JAELEN STRONG
ARIZONA STATE
3: R3P7
OT ROB HAVENSTEIN
WISCONSIN
4: R4P7
G ALI MARPET
HOBART
5: R5P6
C ANDY GALLIK
BOSTON COLLEGE
6: R6P7
FB JALSTON FOWLER
ALABAMA

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:

I dont completely discredit the workout numbers, it's part of the process. but when they don't match up with the tape, I always side with the tape. In Ray's csse, he's far quicker and more explosive on tape then his workout numbers would indicate.

On the other side of the coin, Perrimans hand timed sub 4.3 should be taken with a grain of salt by scouts (and I'm sure it has been) because he doesn't show that kinda speed on tape.

He's still plenty fast but he does not possess world class speed on the football field like the time would indicate.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I dont completely discredit the workout numbers, it's part of the process. but when they don't match up with the tape, I always side with the tape. In Ray's csse, he's far quicker and more explosive on tape then his workout numbers would indicate.

And now we know the reason for the discrepancy.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
And now we know the reason for the discrepancy.

Right. I'm sure the injury played a part in it. Its also possible that He's just not a great workout warrior. Either way, as a pure football player, its very hard not to like what he brings to the table.

I think anybody that has Fowler rated ahead of him is off their rocker.

Liked Posts:
Ray has to be considered at 7. I don't care about the injury. Every team that passes on him because of that will regret it.

The kid has everything you want in a pass rusher. An elite first step, violent hands, alpha male mentality and a red hot motor.

The kid will get sacks in the NFL.

I would be fine with Ray at 7. I'm not gonna lie his testing cone #'s being flat out BAD did worry me a bit, but knowing that he had an injury makes more sense now. I still believe Beasley would be the best pick at 7 if he's available, but Ray would make sense. His tape is solid. I feel like Beasley would do better standing up and play in space in the 3-4 than Ray... But it's tough not to admire Ray's motor and gawdy production in a legit conference. I'm not a Ray 'hater' at all... I just feel like if Beasley receives good coaching and reaches his ceiling the guy will be an absolute sack monster that changes games and has to be game planned around.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Brandon Scherff - T - Hawkeyes

Pro Football Focus' Mike Renner writes that Iowa OL Brandon Scherff "could possibly be a fantastic guard, it's just that if you plug him in at left tackle next season you'll be sorely disappointed."

"It's difficult to see the Outland Trophy winner ever being an effective pass protector on the edge," Renner wrote. "Scherff wasn't close to the top of our tackle rankings, even after facing a fairly weak slate of edge rushers in the Big Ten. The Iowa tackle's 96.2 pass-blocking efficiency was 62nd out of the 95 draft-eligible tackles." We disagree, as you know, that Scherff can't stick at left tackle. And while numbers are facts, it should be noted that Iowa's passing offense, with inconsistent quarterbacks who held onto the ball too long waiting for mediocre receivers to get open, did Scherff no favors. "People have fallen in love with Scherff's ability to plant a defender to the turf, but when asked to play in space on the edge, Scherff lacked the length and feet quickness to regularly engage defenders," Renner wrote. "His skill set translates much better to guard in the NFL, but even there he would be something of a question mark."

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
And while numbers are facts, it should be noted that Iowa's passing offense, with inconsistent quarterbacks who held onto the ball too long waiting for mediocre receivers to get open, did Scherff no favors.

Have to love it when writers get pissed and start going on the anti-troll crusade; "numbers are facts!" Semantics, while boring, are generally important when attempting to convey an opinion.

Toast88

Liked Posts:

Pro Football Focus' Mike Renner writes that Iowa OL Brandon Scherff "could possibly be a fantastic guard, it's just that if you plug him in at left tackle next season you'll be sorely disappointed."

"It's difficult to see the Outland Trophy winner ever being an effective pass protector on the edge," Renner wrote. "Scherff wasn't close to the top of our tackle rankings, even after facing a fairly weak slate of edge rushers in the Big Ten. The Iowa tackle's 96.2 pass-blocking efficiency was 62nd out of the 95 draft-eligible tackles." We disagree, as you know, that Scherff can't stick at left tackle. And while numbers are facts, it should be noted that Iowa's passing offense, with inconsistent quarterbacks who held onto the ball too long waiting for mediocre receivers to get open, did Scherff no favors. "People have fallen in love with Scherff's ability to plant a defender to the turf, but when asked to play in space on the edge, Scherff lacked the length and feet quickness to regularly engage defenders," Renner wrote. "His skill set translates much better to guard in the NFL, but even there he would be something of a question mark."

I'm glad you brought this up. All I hear is people talking about Scherff like he's a sure thing. Stuff like this makes me nervous. I realize all top prospects are going to have good AND bad things written about them, but still...

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

I'm glad you brought this up. All I hear is people talking about Scherff like he's a sure thing. Stuff like this makes me nervous. I realize all top prospects are going to have good AND bad things written about them, but still...

It depends on what your sure thing expectation is. Scherff is not a dynamic athlete with great feet and nimbleness.

What he is, is a player who is tough, technically proficient and a grinder. It's about what he does so well and he plays the position well. Is he an All-pro Joe Thomas type? No but he is a very good prospect who you plug in and starts for the next 10 years at right tackle. Some guys you see as developing into a Pro Bowl type, others just solid long term starters.

The decision is what type of value do you put on a long term starter who won't fuck up a lot.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Scherff is not a dynamic athlete with great feet and nimbleness....Is he an All-pro Joe Thomas type? No

Then why would someone take him in the top 10 over guys who are dynamic athletes and possible All-Pro types?