Prospect Buzz

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
I'm glad you brought this up. All I hear is people talking about Scherff like he's a sure thing. Stuff like this makes me nervous. I realize all top prospects are going to have good AND bad things written about them, but still...

As a person who watched him play regularly where I live, I still am not understanding the hype on this guy. I would specifically watch him when I'd watch Hawkeye games, and I can't understand why he's the top-rated lineman in the draft on all of these mocks. Didn't stand out to me at all.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
As a person who watched him play regularly where I live, I still am not understanding the hype on this guy. I would specifically watch him when I'd watch Hawkeye games, and I can't understand why he's the top-rated lineman in the draft on all of these mocks. Didn't stand out to me at all.

Offensive linemen are not supposed to stand out. That means they are doing their job. Kinda like refs.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I dont completely discredit the workout numbers, it's part of the process. but when they don't match up with the tape, I always side with the tape. In Ray's csse, he's far quicker and more explosive on tape then his workout numbers would indicate.

On the other side of the coin, Perrimans hand timed sub 4.3 should be taken with a grain of salt by scouts (and I'm sure it has been) because he doesn't show that kinda speed on tape.

He's still plenty fast but he does not possess world class speed on the football field like the time would indicate.
Hard to disagree with any of that.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Then why would someone take him in the top 10 over guys who are dynamic athletes and possible All-Pro types?

Because guys like that Joe Thomas, Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace go in the top-5.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Scherff is none of those guys, IMO. He's a bigger stronger Carimi. Obviously his feet are better than Carimi's (he doesn't fall down) but they're not the feet of an elite tackle prospect.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Scherff is a great player and at worst will turn into a good Guard, but there are some questions about his ability to play at T. I will say, he looks much better than Greg Robinson to me, who went #2 last year. I am still scratching my head at why teams rated Robinson so highly.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Because guys like that Joe Thomas, Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace go in the top-5.

Did you just bring up Ogden and Pace in a conversation about Scherff?

No, never, different planets....wow.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I can't wait for thursday!

The hilarious thing is my dad wants to go golfing on Thursday "after work". HAHAHAHA

Ra's al Ghul

Stuck in the Lazarus Pit
Liked Posts:
Alvin Dupree - DL

Mike Renner reports that Pro Football Focus uncovered "red flags" when digging into Kentucky edge rusher Bud Dupree's stats and film.
"The most meaningful one is that only three of his 36 pressures came against tackles with positive pass-blocking grades for the season," he wrote. "While he posted an overall respectable pass-rushing productivity mark of 9.8, that number dropped to 7.1 against SEC competition. A third of those pressures against SEC competition came versus Missouri's right tackle, Taylor Chappell, who had the second-worst pass-blocking grade in the country." That's a pretty damning stat, though some will argue Dupree wasn't given a fair shake in college to learn one position and stick to it. Renner added that Dupree didn't generate even one pressure off of a bull rush in 2014. "Those stats paint the picture of a player who feasted on weak competition and then put up impressive workout numbers, rather than a complete pass-rusher," he wrote.

Quinten Rollins - DB

NFL Media analyst Charles Davis "can envision [Miami (OH) DB Quinten Rollins] quickly earning star status" in the NFL.
Davis put Rollins on his list of five rookies who could make the Pro Bowl, a stunning proclamation for a player who played only one year of college football as a former basketball player. "It would be one of the season's great surprises to see him go straight to the Pro Bowl, and he has the ball skills to come in and make a big impact right off the bat," Davis wrote. "Rollins is most likely a second-round pick ... With the right team, he could start racking up takeaways. What if he goes down the same path as Jairus Byrd, a second-round pick in 2009 who was not just a Pro Bowler, but an All-Pro after making nine picks as a rookie? The team that picks Rollins will have a plan to feature him from Day 1." The 6-foot, 203-pound Rollins ran the 40 in 4.57 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Ra's al Ghul

Stuck in the Lazarus Pit
Liked Posts:
Arik Armstead - DL

An anonymous NFL scout compares Oregon DL Arik Armstead to Chris Canty and said he "[doesn't] think he'll ever be a big sack number guy, but he'll play well for you."
"Talented and big as hell," a different scout told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. "He's the one guy I've had a hard time grading. You watch him and you see the talent of a first-round pick. But then he plays like a fourth-round pick." As we've said before, the 6-foot-7, 292-pound Armstead has the talent to go at the top of the first round and the production to go on Day 2 or 3. "When you're that tall, you either have to have really good strength, or really good technique," another scout said. "He doesn't have either, yet. He plays hard. He's going to be all right."

Trae Waynes - DB

Pro Football Focus is concerned that Michigan State CB Trae Waynes' 20-yard shuttle (4.39 seconds) was slower than his 40 time (4.31).
That occurrence is such an anomaly that the group couldn't recall seeing it before. "That poor change-of-direction ability was evident on tape, and is a problem at a position where change of direction is vital," wrote Mike Renner. PFF is also troubled that a corner with such great recovery speed (thus not having to worry about getting burned deep) was so average on intermediate routes, only breaking up three passes on 59 targets. Waynes' yards per coverage snap allowed was average (1.04) and he struggled against Oregon, allowing 113 yards and a score on seven targets.

Cameron Erving - C

An anonymous NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that FSU C Cameron Erving's "upside is huge" at center.
"That line didn't block well until they moved him," the scout said. "It cleaned up so much inside. He's not a 320-pound mauling center but he gets after you. He's such a good athlete and is extremely smart. Great kid." Florida State doubled its yards-before-contact rush average on interior runs in the final five games after shifting Erving inside. But is Erving (6-foot-5, 314 pounds), who would become the NFL's tallest center, too tall for the position? "I think he's too tall for center," a second scout said. "He's got stiff ankles and plays too small. He smothers college players, but if anyone works his edges he's not great laterally. I don't see it." A third scout disagreed with that analysis. "It (height) hasn't been a problem," he said. "His arms (34 1/8) are so long, he just locks those guys out. He just gets on the nose (tackle). Guard may be his best position. He could start at three positions."

Ra's al Ghul

Stuck in the Lazarus Pit
Liked Posts:
James Sample - DB

Gordon McGuinness of Pro Football Focus advises teams looking for a safety to "wait until the Day 2 range and grab" Louisville S James Sample instead of "some of the higher-ranked prospects at the position."
"A well-rounded defensive back who didn't shy away from run support, he did his best work in coverage, tying for sixth in this draft class by allowing a reception just once every 31.1 snaps in coverage," McGuinness wrote. Sample started just one year in college and he was nearly hidden in Gerod Holliman's shadow, but it turned out that quite the prospect was being obstructed (until scouts went back and studied the tape). "He showed quick decision-making to match his solid overall athleticism," McGuinness wrote. "He's not the fastest safety in the class, but his speed isn't an issue, either, and he's more than adequate as a tackler."

Kevin Johnson - DB

"Multiple teams" have Wake Forest CB Kevin Johnson as the top prospect at the position, according to Mike Florio.
The news makes sense. Johnson has plenty of experience in off coverage, something that Trae Waynes isn't built to do. Teams who prioritize two press corners might prefer Waynes, Byron Jones or Marcus Peters, but if a team wants a corner with more change of direction fluidity to occupy receivers in a variety of coverages, they likely lean Johnson. Corner can be a very scheme specific position.

Damarious Randall - DB

NFL Media's Mike Mayock ranks Arizona State's Demarious Randall as "the best cover safety in this draft."
Cover safety, not safety safety. Mayock ranks Randall above Alabama's Landon Collins because Collins is "more of a box safety or a dime linebacker." Eagles director of player personnel Ed Marynowitz apparently agrees, which might mean you can cross Collins off the list of possibilities for the Eagles at No. 20. "He can do it, to a degree," Marynowitz said. "I think all these guys have strengths and weaknesses. Landon has the potential to do that. Maybe not to the degree that some other guys do, but he certainly has the ability to do that." Shockingly, Randall could be drafted within 10 slots or so of Collins. He's gained serious momentum in the past few weeks.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lots of buzz about Amari Cooper going to the Jags at #3.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Peter King in his MMQB article this morning reports his sources say Jags down to Cooper, Fowler, or Williams.

Then...

Rotoworld...
The Florida Times Union's Ryan O'Halloran believes Alabama WR Amari Cooper is in play for the Jaguars at No. 3 overall.

Specifically, O'Halloran thinks Jacksonville will take "Cooper or a defensive player." It makes sense. The Jaguars have chased receivers in free agency as they try to upgrade Blake Bortles' supporting cast, striking out on Randall Cobb and Greg Jennings. Cooper and Marqise Lee could alternate between Z and slot, while Allen Robinson mans the top downfield, X position. Apr 24 - 10:40 AM

Mike Mayock on Jags selecting Cooper:

""My golden rule in the first round, especially at the top, is you'd better get yourself a good football player. The boom-or-bust guys for me would not even be in play. Let's get a really good football player. If you look at Jacksonville, who are last in the league in points scored and No. 31 in the league in passing with a rookie quarterback. You're trying to develop an offensive line. I think you can make a compelling case for a wide receiver, whether it was [West Virginia's] Kevin White or Amari Cooper. Especially with Cooper, because he's safer. So, I would have no problem with that."

Source: Florida Times Union

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

latest

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It depends on what your sure thing expectation is. Scherff is not a dynamic athlete with great feet and nimbleness.

What he is, is a player who is tough, technically proficient and a grinder. It's about what he does so well and he plays the position well. Is he an All-pro Joe Thomas type? No but he is a very good prospect who you plug in and starts for the next 10 years at right tackle. Some guys you see as developing into a Pro Bowl type, others just solid long term starters.

The decision is what type of value do you put on a long term starter who won't fuck up a lot.

I totally agree with this but thats not what i want where we're picking.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Leonard Williams - DL - Trojans

Longtime Titans' beat writer Jim Wyatt does not see USC DL Leonard Williams being the pick at No. 2.

"He's a great player, but I don't see that happening," Wyatt tweeted. We agree with Wyatt, for what it is worth. Williams was commonly mocked to the Titans early in the process, but the smart money is on the team selecting Marcus Mariota, trading back or drafting Amari Cooper.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Phillip Dorsett - WR - Hurricanes

Pro Football Focus' Mike Renner cautions that only six of the 38 receivers who have run sub-4.4 forty since the 2009 combine are currently top-two receivers on their respective NFL teams.
"With Dorsett, we didn't see much besides elite speed," he wrote of PFF's tape and stat investigation. "He's undersized at 5-10, 185 pounds, and is still an unrefined route runner. Of his 67 targets last season, 40 came on deep routes (go, deep crosser, post and corner). He'll have to run a much more varied route tree at the next level. DeSean Jackson goes deep as often as anyone in the NFL, and even he was targeted on downfield routes only 37 percent of the time last season." The analyst concedes that there is "a lot of potential here" but believes that "taking Dorsett in the first round would be a substantial gamble." We think Dorsett is either going to sneak into the latter stages of Round 1 or get popped quickly on Day 2.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Did you just bring up Ogden and Pace in a conversation about Scherff?

No, never, different planets....wow.

Well since you didn't follow along with the conversation and his question, it's not a surprise you're completely mystified by my post.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Randall taking this long to show up in the draft conversation shows just how little web scouts follow the Pac-12 outside of Oregon and USC.

My bet is a guy like Sean Mannion is severely underrated by the web scout community and he could wind being among the top-5 QBs taken. Mannion may not be the guy you build your franchise around but he could be a solid starter for a long time.