Prospect Buzz

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Schefter and Clayton were on ESPN Chicago and were saying that the Bears want Cooper, will end up probably happily drafting White.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Schefter and Clayton were on ESPN Chicago and were saying that the Bears want Cooper, will end up probably happily drafting White.

Thanks. I think it is either Cooper or White if one of them are on the board.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
My reaction to the Bears drafting Amari Cooper

crazy-dance.gif

2nd best player in the draft.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I hope the Raiders draft Leonard Williams and I hope the Browns trade for the #5 pick so they can draft Kevin White. The Browns/Redskins trade was from an article in another thread.

That would most likely leave the Bears with Amari Cooper.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
i want to like dupree, and when i read about him i think "ok, what am i not seeing" because whenever i watch his game film i come away totally and completely underwhelmed. he just seems to be very passive. there are times when a running back runs within a couple feet of him and he's moving at half speed and doesn't even try to make a play. from what i can tell, he has absolutely no football instincts. like at all. he also has t-rex arms and that showed in college where once he was blocked that was pretty much it.

i understand his athletic ability and physical upside are off the charts, and if the bears do take him at 7 i will trust in fox and fangio to be able to develop him. but i personally don't see it at all. a player of his athletic make-up should have been a dominant college player, and he wasn't even close to that.

When everyone is so stuck on arm length I start to wonder how the 5-10 Elvis Dumerville the 6-0 tall. James. Harrison ever made it with their short arms under the 33-1/2 inch mark that seems to be the ideal arm length for these pass rushers to have success.

Aaron Donald has short arms, but because his arms are longer than Will Sutton's arms despite them being relatively the same height Donald will succeed better.

This fucking arm length obsession is fucking stupid and at a minimum Dumerville, Harrison, and Freeney short pass rushers with short arms have had high levels of success.

There are short pass rushers with short arms and they do just well. Arm length became an issue when people needed an excuse for why Robert Gallery failed.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Next obsessive combine metric in 10 years:

Penis size?

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
When everyone is so stuck on arm length I start to wonder how the 5-10 Elvis Dumerville the 6-0 tall. James. Harrison ever made it with their short arms under the 33-1/2 inch mark that seems to be the ideal arm length for these pass rushers to have success.

Aaron Donald has short arms, but because his arms are longer than Will Sutton's arms despite them being relatively the same height Donald will succeed better.

This fucking arm length obsession is fucking stupid and at a minimum Dumerville, Harrison, and Freeney short pass rushers with short arms have had high levels of success.

There are short pass rushers with short arms and they do just well. Arm length became an issue when people needed an excuse for why Robert Gallery failed.

Yeah because long arms have absolutely zero bearing on whether an edge rusher is able to wrap up the quarterback or just misses him. This is a game of inches. Why don't we just get someone with T-Rex arms. You give two examples of Dumervill and Harrison, they are the exception to the rule and overcome their physical shortcomings. Arm length is an obvious advantage for a pass rusher.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Yeah because long arms have absolutely zero bearing on whether an edge rusher is able to wrap up the quarterback or just misses him. This is a game of inches. Why don't we just get someone with T-Rex arms. You give two examples of Dumervill and Harrison, they are the exception to the rule and overcome their physical shortcomings. Arm length is an obvious advantage for a pass rusher.

So based on that logic how does anyone under 6-4 ever succeed in the NFL as a pass rusher?

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
So based on that logic how does anyone under 6-4 ever succeed in the NFL as a pass rusher?

Stop being over dramatic Biff. You're clearly far more obsessed with the arm length thing than anybody around here. You just took one sentence out of a 200 some word post and flew off the fucking handle about it. Absolutely no one is claiming this is the only, or even primary, attribute that should be considered; simply one more thing that can be taken into account to form a more complete picture about a prospect. Your crusades against "everyone" and "the internet scouting community" are pretty fucking cute though, you should keep them up just for sheer entertainment value.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I totally get the people who say play it smart and grab an offensive or defensive lineman.

But damn, getting a really good skill position player who might be contending for pro bowls for the next decade is very, very tempting.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:

I'm not saying that measurables are the only important factor in player evaluation, but they do matter. A taller guy is more capable of dunking a basketball than a short guy, just like a guy with longer arms is more capable of wrapping up a quarterback from a further distance.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
I totally get the people who say play it smart and grab an offensive or defensive lineman.

But damn, getting a really good skill position player who might be contending for pro bowls for the next decade is very, very tempting.

Repeat after me BPA BPA BPA

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Repeat after me BPA BPA BPA

No one ever picks just BPA or just Position of need. You usually end up taking the BPA at a relative position of need. WR qualitifies, so if Cooper is clearly better than the best options at OL/DL- and this may very well be the case as it's looking right now if Beasley and Fowler are taken- then just take Cooper and lock down a very important position for many yrs.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Peter King has the Bears taking Dupree at 7 over Vic Beasley and Kevin White.

My main argument for Dupree would be he has the most impressive raw skills to work with.

This is why you have a Vic Fangio to the a raw super athlete into a consistent player. Good coaches allow you to take more risk in the draft.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd prefer the other 2 but Dupree doesn't have me gagging. He'd be my next OLB since Gregory has shown to be unreliable. When I see the suddenness, bend and effective speed of Besley, I want him. How much bigger/stronger he can get is what may hold him back. It takes up an extra man but you could see him getting rubbed off by a TE or RB spying him to help a T. One on one he looks like a monster but you don't picture him splitting doubles etc. You could see Dupree doing that at some point or at least leveraging the pocket smaller. You don't see the natural pass rusher that Beasley is but at worse you get a VG LB and he's got the tools to become that or anything else, like cover the flat which I would question Ray at.

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
Peter King has the Bears taking Dupree at 7 over Vic Beasley and Kevin White.

My main argument for Dupree would be he has the most impressive raw skills to work with.

This is why you have a Vic Fangio to the a raw super athlete into a consistent player. Good coaches allow you to take more risk in the draft.

I don't really have to much of an opinion on the guy.
but he does seem to fall into that Elite athlete category.
so I guess that's atleast a lot for a coach to work with.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't really have to much of an opinion on the guy.
but he does seem to fall into that Elite athlete category.
so I guess that's atleast a lot for a coach to work with.

Yeah the tools are there.

His combine is right up there with JJ Watt in terms of freak show.

His production actually is comparable to the other rushers not named Beasley. 15 sacks the last 2 seasons, puts him right in the same ball park as Gregory and Ray, and better than Fowler.

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
Yeah the tools are there.

His combine is right up there with JJ Watt in terms of freak show.

His production actually is comparable to the other rushers not named Beasley. 15 sacks the last 2 seasons, puts him right in the same ball park as Gregory and Ray, and better than Fowler.

I go back and forth over the elite athlete vs the good football player debate.
on one hand a good foot ball player has a little less chance of busting out, but also less of a chance of being special.

you can teach technique, but you can't teach size or speed.