Prospect Buzz

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Leonard Williams - DL - Trojans

USC DL Leonard Williams "is barely scratching the surface" and is already a "high-impact talent," according to NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein.

The USC prospect still has room to grow--and were just talking frame wise. The 6-foot-5, 300-pounder still has more mass to add to his frame, as Williams is still just twenty years old. The USC talent has a rare combination of strength and quickness, which should cause sleepless nights for opposing lineman. Williams has drawn comparisons to seven-time Pro Bowl selection, Richard Seymour.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Paul Dawson - LB - Horned Frogs

TCU LB Paul Dawson's "instincts and production are off the charts, and are untouchable by any linebacker in this draft," notes NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein.

Dawson's evaluation comes with reservations. He was frequently late for meetings in school and didn't always get along with his position coach. His combine performance was also amongst the worst showings of any player in this class. That said, we're smitten with him, as is Zierlein. "Dawson's production and instincts are first-round worthy, but he must prove he's fast enough for the NFL game or he'll be just another guy as a pro," the analyst wrote. Dawson had 136 tackles, 20 TFL, six sacks, three fumbles recovered, four interceptions and nine passes defensed in 29 targets last year. Those numbers are silly. Dawson has visited the San Francisco 49ers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Minnesota Vikings and Kansas City Chiefs and has had private workouts for the Bucs and Atlanta Falcons.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Marcus Mariota - QB - Ducks

"I don't understand why [Oregon QB Marcus Mariota] isn't the No. 1 player in this draft on Mel Kiper's Big Board," said ESPN NFL Insider Jon Gruden.

"I don't know anybody in this draft that can do for a football team what Mariota can do," Gruden said. "He can read the field. That whole thing about Oregon being a no-huddle, dive-option team, that is just a narrative resulting from a lack of information. The Ducks run a lot of pro-style concepts. Mariota does a lot with the protections. I've seen him throw the ball with touch and timing in tight windows." The former Bucs coach points out that Mariota is the same size as Jameis Winston but runs 4.52 forty. "He is incredibly elusive, and man, is he a playmaker and a great competitor," Gruden said. "I see him functioning in the pocket, out of the pocket, and if you want to run a zone-read, he'll rip the defense apart. He is like Russell Wilson, only he is 6-4."

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Amari Cooper - WR - Crimson Tide

Alabama WR Amari Cooper "reminds me of a young Tim Brown coming out of Notre Dame," says ESPN NFL Insider Jon Gruden.

"He will line up to the left, he will line up to the right, he will go in motion, and he will be in the slot," said Gruden. "He runs a large inventory of routes. If the coverage rotates, he knows how to adjust the pattern. He can get in and out of his breaks. He has savvy and he is elusive after the catch." Cooper visited 10 teams in the top 12, including the Buccaneers, Titans, Jaguars, Redskins, Jets, Bears, Falcons, Giants, Rams and Browns. Noticeably absent on that list is Oakland, though we mock Cooper to the Raiders (as do many). "He's got good length, good height, good vertical, and the way he competes when the ball is in the air separates him," Gruden said.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Clayton was saying Beasley might drop due to size.

His rational was that a lot of these 3-4 guys are from the Parcells tree and they want big OLBs. Realistically Beasley will play at 240 which is not huge.
Year in and year out, Clayton has been out of touch with the draft. He and Adam Schefter both spew nonsense and rumors even minutes before picks are turned in and end up being consistently wrong. Please stop citing them.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Denzel Perryman - LB - Hurricanes

Miami ILB Denzel Perryman "makes all the tackles" and is "the most explosive hitter in this draft," said ESPN NFL Insider Jon Gruden.

"He has great zone awareness, and he understands routes," Gruden said. "He can line up off the tight end, see the checkdown and make the play. College football is not producing players like this anymore. He has instincts, he has leadership, he has communication, and if he sees something, he will run through a backside swap combination and get a tackle for a loss. If he doesn't fit your defense, fire your defensive staff." We appreciate the former coach stumping for an old-school prospect, but we still don't see Perryman as a fit for all 32 teams. Asking him, as some schemes would, to traverse huge swatches of field regularly is a good way to guarantee he won't reach his potential.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:

Alabama WR Amari Cooper "reminds me of a young Tim Brown coming out of Notre Dame," says ESPN NFL Insider Jon Gruden.

"He will line up to the left, he will line up to the right, he will go in motion, and he will be in the slot," said Gruden. "He runs a large inventory of routes. If the coverage rotates, he knows how to adjust the pattern. He can get in and out of his breaks. He has savvy and he is elusive after the catch." Cooper visited 10 teams in the top 12, including the Buccaneers, Titans, Jaguars, Redskins, Jets, Bears, Falcons, Giants, Rams and Browns. Noticeably absent on that list is Oakland, though we mock Cooper to the Raiders (as do many). "He's got good length, good height, good vertical, and the way he competes when the ball is in the air separates him," Gruden said.

Interesting that he didn't visit Oakland, even allowing for Smoke Screen Month.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
PFF: "Dupree didn't generate even one pressure off of a bull rush in 2014"

I think the question is a valid one.

You must be losing sleep over Leonard Williams skipping the bench press then.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Marcus Mariota - QB - Ducks

"I don't understand why [Oregon QB Marcus Mariota] isn't the No. 1 player in this draft on Mel Kiper's Big Board," said ESPN NFL Insider Jon Gruden.

"I don't know anybody in this draft that can do for a football team what Mariota can do," Gruden said. "He can read the field. That whole thing about Oregon being a no-huddle, dive-option team, that is just a narrative resulting from a lack of information. The Ducks run a lot of pro-style concepts. Mariota does a lot with the protections. I've seen him throw the ball with touch and timing in tight windows." The former Bucs coach points out that Mariota is the same size as Jameis Winston but runs 4.52 forty. "He is incredibly elusive, and man, is he a playmaker and a great competitor," Gruden said. "I see him functioning in the pocket, out of the pocket, and if you want to run a zone-read, he'll rip the defense apart. He is like Russell Wilson, only he is 6-4."
This is a great quote after this board went ballistic over his Gruden interview. Guess Gruden didn't take it the same way, LOL.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Williams is worth trading up for. I just don't see us able to do so in a cost effective manner.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

yep, at this point at #7 I will only be excited over cooper or Williams. ill hope and wish for the best with whomever we pick of course though

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Denzel Perryman - LB - Hurricanes

Miami ILB Denzel Perryman "makes all the tackles" and is "the most explosive hitter in this draft," said ESPN NFL Insider Jon Gruden.

"He has great zone awareness, and he understands routes," Gruden said. "He can line up off the tight end, see the checkdown and make the play. College football is not producing players like this anymore. He has instincts, he has leadership, he has communication, and if he sees something, he will run through a backside swap combination and get a tackle for a loss. If he doesn't fit your defense, fire your defensive staff." We appreciate the former coach stumping for an old-school prospect, but we still don't see Perryman as a fit for all 32 teams. Asking him, as some schemes would, to traverse huge swatches of field regularly is a good way to guarantee he won't reach his potential.

Perryman on some of the more freaky TE's one on one, is an OC's dream.....complete linebackers need to be able to run across the field these days. I understand liking his aggressiveness and hitting ability, but I am not taking an undersized LB with athletic limitations high in the draft, sorry.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I watched that last night and felt like the only difference between those guys and 4 meatheads from here was they were getting paid. That and David Haugh is still a cunt.

Oh good i'm glad you enjoyed it.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Man, Gruden DOES NOT like Armstead. Brings up the video of all the times defenses went right at him and either ate him up or ran by him.

Of course, lowlights are like highlights---only show you the extreme

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Gruden says Fowler is the best player in the draft. Tons of speed and power. Versatile---can be moved around the line. Big time passion

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Has anybody already put these up? I'd hate to repeat