Prospect Buzz

Ra's al Ghul

Stuck in the Lazarus Pit
Liked Posts:
Delaware State DT Rodney Gunter
At 6'5/305 lbs, Gunter recorded a forty time in the 4.8 range and can dunk a basketball, according to Wilson. We have not watched a single second of Gunter's on-field play, but the narrative seems to point to a third day selection or priority free agent signing.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
From Peter King's mock... Read his Bear comments.

1. TAMPA BAY
Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State.

Looked good with his 102-pass workout in Tallahassee on Tuesday, with 96 balls on target, but it might have been one of the more meaningless workouts in recent pro day history. If the Bucs—whose private eyes have interviewed more than 75 people from Winston’s past—don’t find any big problems with him, he’ll be the first pick on April 30.

2. TENNESSEE
Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon.

I’m going mostly by the look in coach Ken Whisenhunt’s eyes when he talked about the pick last week at the league meetings. Pretty scientific, huh? Well, that plus his nominal starter is Zach Mettenberger. Plus Whisenhunt’s job will be on the line with another fourth-place finish in a bad division.

3. JACKSONVILLE
Dante Fowler, OLB, Florida.

The popular pick here is USC defensive tackle Leonard Williams, who might be the best player in the draft. But the Jags have 2014 star defensive tackle Sen’Derrick Marks, and two other 300-pound linemen, Tyson Alualu and Jared Odrick. The need is for a rusher. Fowler fits.

4. OAKLAND
Leonard Williams, DT, USC.

GM Reggie McKenzie waits for the phone to ring. He’ll trade during his pick, especially with Williams on the board. Interesting trade-up candidate: Cleveland, with the 12th, 19th and 43rd picks, and with a big need for a dominating three-technique pile-mover.

*5. ST. LOUIS
Kevin White, WR, West Virginia.

*Trade: In exchange for giving St. Louis the fifth pick, Washington gets the 10th and 72nd pick.

Washington GM Scot McCloughan badly wants to trade this pick, because his needs don’t match the players on the board. The Rams don’t love anyone on the board here, but a premier player at wideout is a big need. Interesting if it happens: The two big receiver stars in recent Mountaineer history, White and Tavon Austin, would be together in Missouri.

6. NEW YORK JETS
Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama.

After quarterback to Tampa Bay, receiver to the Jets is the most logical pick in the draft. Now watch Mike Maccagnan take a corner.

7. CHICAGO
Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson.

Bears would love White or Cooper. New GM Ryan Pace might trade up for one. But John Fox loves rushers, and even after spending $39 million in free agency on Pernell McPhee, Beasley is the best value for the rush-starved Bears.

Atlanta’s Perfect Pass Rusher

First-year head coach Dan Quinn is hoping to make the Atlanta Falcons into Seattle East. The first step will be finding the right pass-rusher at the top of this draft, Robert Klemko writes.

FULL STORY

8. ATLANTA
Alvin “Bud” Dupree, DE/OLB, Kentucky.

Mark my words: Dupree’s getting picked higher than draftniks think. And if there’s one regret Atlanta GM Thomas Dimitroff has after last season, it’s that he didn’t go out and buy or draft a premier rusher last year. He won’t get fooled again.

9. NEW YORK GIANTS
Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa.

Pretty easy pick, though I have no idea if this is GM Jerry Reese’s man. G-Men need the line to be fortified, and Scherff is the best offensive lineman on everyone’s board. Don’t think too hard here, Jerry.

*10. WASHINGTON
Shane Ray, DE/OLB, Missouri.

*Trade: In exchange for the No. 5 pick, St. Louis sends Washington the 10th and 72nd.

Good first move for McCloughan, if he can gather another pick while nabbing a pass-rusher in the process to replace Brian Orakpo.

The rest is here...

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/01/nfl-mock-draft-peter-king/

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
then he has the Bears trading up for Jones...

*31. CHICAGO
Byron Jones, CB, UConn.

*Trade: In exchange for the 31st pick, New Orleans gets the 39th, 106th and 192nd picks.

Shot in the dark. The clues: Bears were 30th in the NFL against the pass last year; Bear corners are ancient; new GM Ryan Pace comes from Mickey Loomis’ classroom in New Orleans. And Pace knows the Patriots love UConn players, and had a contingent Tuesday at Husky Pro Day, where Jones ran 4.38 and 4.44.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/01/nfl-mock-draft-peter-king/2/

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
8. ATLANTA
Alvin “Bud” Dupree, DE/OLB, Kentucky.

Mark my words: Dupree’s getting picked higher than draftniks think. And if there’s one regret Atlanta GM Thomas Dimitroff has after last season, it’s that he didn’t go out and buy or draft a premier rusher last year. He won’t get fooled again.

:roll:

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

He'll be an interesting story to watch on draft night. I listen to the NFL channel on XM (too much really) and I hear that kind of sentiment about DuPree. I mentioned in another thread Pat Kirwan loves DuPree and believes he converts speed to power better than the other rush prospects. I know he's an incredible athlete with size and explosion. What's his ceiling?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I haven't watched any tape on WRs other than Cooper & White, but Dorsett looks electric and is exactly the type of WR the Bears need to hold the entire field at risk.
I've been a big fan of Dorsett for the last 2 years. He reminds me of Devin Hester if Hester could legitimately play WR. He is everything we wanted Hester to be on offense. Is an electric returner too but wasn't used there a ton because he was their top WR.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I've been a big fan of Dorsett for the last 2 years. He reminds me of Devin Hester if Hester could legitimately play WR. He is everything we wanted Hester to be on offense. Is an electric returner too but wasn't used there a ton because he was their top WR.

[video=youtube;JZatnTkhT8Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZatnTkhT8Q[/video]

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
He'll be an interesting story to watch on draft night. I listen to the NFL channel on XM (too much really) and I hear that kind of sentiment about DuPree. I mentioned in another thread Pat Kirwan loves DuPree and believes he converts speed to power better than the other rush prospects. I know he's an incredible athlete with size and explosion. What's his ceiling?

He's not an incredible athlete. His Combine 40 times were inconsistent: 4.73 and 4.56, and when you watch him on film he runs like a 4.7 guy. His pro day 20 shuttle and three cone times were 4.46 and 7.45, which are really mediocre and align far more closely to a guy who runs in the 4.7 range than a guy who runs in the mid 4.5's, which was a complete aberration. And as far as converting speed to power, Dupree isn't even the best DE/OLB in the draft at that. He's never going to be a pass rusher and will almost certainly end up as a run-stuffing SOLB with average instincts in the NFL.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
He's not an incredible athlete. His Combine 40 times were inconsistent: 4.73 and 4.56, and when you watch him on film he runs like a 4.7 guy. His pro day 20 shuttle and three cone times were 4.46 and 7.45, which are really mediocre and align far more closely to a guy who runs in the 4.7 range than a guy who runs in the mid 4.5's, which was a complete aberration. And as far as converting speed to power, Dupree isn't even the best DE/OLB in the draft at that. He's never going to be a pass rusher and will almost certainly end up as a run-stuffing SOLB with average instincts in the NFL.

Sorry, I have to disagree on that. His athleticism has been highlighted well before the combine. Let's see what happens on draft night. I think he goes 15 - 20.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2014/07/08/uk-defensive-end-bud-dupree-everybodys-freak-athlete/12374397/

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/football-2/nfl-com-ranks-bud-dupree-the-5th-most-freakish-athlete-in-college-football/

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

I remember watching his 40's live that day. I believe Mayock was expecting the 4.56 type time, and questioned if he slipped or had a bad start in the first 40. That is completely from memory, but I remember something being discussed that day about his first time right after it happened. When he ran the 4.56, I remember Mayock saying that time is what he expected him to run and the first time was basically an outlier to him.

edit: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000473346/Bud-Dupree-impresses-with-his-40-yard-dash

Ok, I just re-watched. My memory must be f'd up! hahaha. Mayock does say he has athleticism, so I will take his word for it. I did notice his 10 yd split was much slower the 2nd 40 yd dash, almost a full tenth of a second, which would translate to the difference in his 2 times.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I have read many believe scheme and how Kentucky used Dupree did not highlight his skills.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Dorsett is going 1st round.

You do not run a 4.25 with competent tape and not go in the 1st.

New Orleans or New England pull the trigger.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Dorsett is going 1st round.

You do not run a 4.25 with competent tape and not go in the 1st.

New Orleans or New England pull the trigger.

So how many receivers go in round 1?

Cooper, White, Parker, Perriman and Dorsett? What about Strong and Green-Beckham?

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
32 first round WR's. Book it. Most important position in the NFL right now.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
So how many receivers go in round 1?

Cooper, White, Parker, Perriman and Dorsett? What about Strong and Green-Beckham?

Latest from ESPN this morning, Perriman has moved into the top 15 in the first round. His stock has risen dramatically. One of the draft "experts" was on Mike and Mike this AM talking about who's moved up the most in the draft since the combine, the answer was Perriman. The general thought is, there could be as many as 15 wr's taken in the first two rounds.

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
Thank god we have Alshon, and were not one of those WR needy teams.