Rap Sheet: Bears still looking to deal Forte

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
It'd just be the Marshall trade all over again. Going from having great receivers to no receivers. In this case, a great runningback to no runningback. But the Bears are going to do what the Bears do.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Pace is going full Theo and I'm all for it.

He's had a really shaky start to his tenure as GM. We're all rooting for him

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
Would anyone be happy if we trade Forte for a 6th round pick? Because i don't see any team giving up more than that for a half year contract on a 30 year old rb.

Sent from a spaghetti monster circling the earth

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Would anyone be happy if we trade Forte for a 6th round pick? Because i don't see any team giving up more than that for a half year contract on a 30 year old rb.

I wish we gave Langford more playing time so we could evaluate how the Bears would look without him but if the Bears have no intention of resigning him and someone is willing to pay his contract. We could really use 6-7 extra mil in free agency.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Pace is going to get rid of him, you better find someone who will overpay. Don't give him away for pencil shavings like you did with Marshall.

In case you and everyone else forgot. Pace paid the Jets to take Marshall. Sort of worse than how you state it.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Moronic.

Cashing in on the season isn't the best option, Pace. These guys are fighting and you are willing to throw away your best player for a draft picks?

Hmm.. Proven, consistent player or.. Unproven draft pick.

Strong logic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you, I think, that Forte should remain a Bear. However, the logic is reasonable . And certainly not moronic, either. Trading Forte for a 1st (which they won't get) would be, I think, widely accepted. Particularly if it is part of a well thought-out plan. Trading him for a 5th, for instance, would be stupid.

I think the argument against dealing Forte is that he clearly has another year or two in him. So, unless they have a RB that they are in love with in the upcoming draft why not keep one of the strongest aspects of your team. With as many issues that the Bears have LT, LB (both inside and out), CB and safety, keeping Forte allows you just that much more flexibility in FA and the draft. Let him go and now they need a RB, too.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It'd just be the Marshall trade all over again. Going from having great receivers to no receivers. In this case, a great runningback to no runningback. But the Bears are going to do what the Bears do.

If Pace pays a draft pick to get rid of Forte like he did with Marshall I will fucking put up a fire Ryan Pace billboard out of my own pocket.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I agree with you, I think, that Forte should remain a Bear. However, the logic is reasonable . And certainly not moronic, either. Trading Forte for a 1st (which they won't get) would be, I think, widely accepted. Particularly if it is part of a well thought-out plan. Trading him for a 5th, for instance, would be stupid.

I think the argument against dealing Forte is that he clearly has another year or two in him. So, unless they have a RB that they are in love with in the upcoming draft why not keep one of the strongest aspects of your team. With as many issues that the Bears have LT, LB (both inside and out), CB and safety, keeping Forte allows you just that much more flexibility in FA and the draft. Let him go and now they need a RB, too.

No, letting him go now would allow the Bears to see if they have a RB in Langford or Carey. This would be even before FA and the draft. Forte is also not going to sign a 2 year deal to stay with the Bears who are clearly not going to the playoffs any time soon. The rebuild really starts next season. The turnover in the roster is going to massive again.

If Forte is signing a short-term deal it will be with a team that has Super Bowl aspirations not a rebuilding franchise.

Take the emotional aspect out of this Forte situation, and logic says trading him is the best course of action for the team.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:

The value to the Bears is the 6th round pick plus a ton of carries for Langford and Carey. That's a win in my book.

Bears93

Liked Posts:
No, letting him go now would allow the Bears to see if they have a RB in Langford or Carey. This would be even before FA and the draft. Forte is also not going to sign a 2 year deal to stay with the Bears who are clearly not going to the playoffs any time soon. The rebuild really starts next season. The turnover in the roster is going to massive again.

If Forte is signing a short-term deal it will be with a team that has Super Bowl aspirations not a rebuilding franchise.

Take the emotional aspect out of this Forte situation, and logic says trading him is the best course of action for the team.

Take it for what it's worth, and I'm not gonna waste my time looking it up so flame away, but I remember seeing an article that said Forte wants to be a Bear for life. And that wasn't long ago maybe 3-4 weeks ago.

Bears93

Liked Posts:
The value to the Bears is the 6th round pick plus a ton of carries for Langford and Carey. That's a win in my book.

I love Forte, who doesn't, but I can't argue with this logic. One of those two backs who were very productive in college should break out with more carries. If not both. We seen plenty from both in preseason. Have seen flashes from Langford in this season, mostly goal line situations and catching out the backfield.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
If Pace can get a decent pick for an aging RB that is about to be a FA that would be fantastic. This is not to take anything away from Forte as the guy has been and is still a stud but that cliff is steep once backs hit a certain age and as an impending FA if he is not a part of the future there is nothing better to do than get some value now.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Getting rid of BM was one of Pace's best moves, along with Allen and hopefully the shipping out of Forte. Doesn't matter how good he's been in the past, and how well is he is currently performing, rather the following dynamics are far more relevant:

1. this is a rebuild, no one 30 or over is getting a large long-term contract - including BM, Forte, etc.;
2. history is littered with regret by NFL teams signing 30-year old RBs to their final contracts (other than 1-year deals), it's proven to be a move reserved for fools;
3. lots of mileage on that Forte tread, we have been remarkably lucky with his health but from a statistical perspective he is inevitably going to sustain something damaging in the near term.

This team sucks balls right now, anyone and everyone should be shopped with a couple exceptions. No time for fan-boy sentiments, this is business.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Marshall just recovered onside kick.

Yeah nice job Pace/Fox

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Getting rid of BM was one of Pace's best moves, along with Allen and hopefully the shipping out of Forte. Doesn't matter how good he's been in the past, and how well is he is currently performing, rather the following dynamics are far more relevant:

1. this is a rebuild, no one 30 or over is getting a large long-term contract - including BM, Forte, etc.;
2. history is littered with regret by NFL teams signing 30-year old RBs to their final contracts (other than 1-year deals), it's proven to be a move reserved for fools;
3. lots of mileage on that Forte tread, we have been remarkably lucky with his health but from a statistical perspective he is inevitably going to sustain something damaging in the near term.

This team sucks balls right now, anyone and everyone should be shopped with a couple exceptions. No time for fan-boy sentiments, this is business.

I respectfully disagree with you. The Browns suck. The Bears have been going toe to toe with every team they have played with Cutler under center. I truly believe that with him in the game, the Bears should be 4-2 if not for his injury. Last weekend was ridiculous in the sense of foxs management and the disgusting ruling of a touchdown(just a football fan not as a Bears fan); the Bears are good.

I still believe this team can make it to the post season.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I respectfully disagree with you. The Browns suck. The Bears have been going toe to toe with every team they have played with Cutler under center. I truly believe that with him in the game, the Bears should be 4-2 if not for his injury. Last weekend was ridiculous in the sense of foxs management and the disgusting ruling of a touchdown(just a football fan not as a Bears fan); the Bears are good.

I still believe this team can make it to the post season.

image_gallery

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
I wish we gave Langford more playing time so we could evaluate how the Bears would look without him but if the Bears have no intention of resigning him and someone is willing to pay his contract. We could really use 6-7 extra mil in free agency.
Do you really think Forte will get that? And i think we've got plenty of time and carries to grade Langford. Heck, he's looked really good so far. I just don't think going into next season with Langford, Rodgers and Carey is enough. So we'd have to sign or draft another rb yet lose the awesome production Forte gives us. I think we could keep Forte with a 3 year 15 mill contact that is heavily loaded in the last year. If we're making a run by then we can decide if he's worth the 7-8 mill in his final year. Otherwise he would be making around 8 mill combined over the next two year. Which is very reasonable.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
Really? I think Langford will be as good as his blocking allows. He's young and doesn't have the patience and ability to read and set up his holes like Forte. I think you might be over optimistic in thinking Langford is ready. I love what I've seen from his speed and ability to catch but he still needs to learn patience and how to set up his holes. I'm talking about this season. Next season, if we lose Forte, I'm all in and will take the good with the bad. Atm, Forte is just too good and i think his presence allows our offense to grow. That growth imo is being highly under valued.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
If Pace can get a decent pick for an aging RB that is about to be a FA that would be fantastic. This is not to take anything away from Forte as the guy has been and is still a stud but that cliff is steep once backs hit a certain age and as an impending FA if he is not a part of the future there is nothing better to do than get some value now.
What would be a decent pick? I don't think we get anything more than a 6th round pick. Is it really worth it at that point?