Rap Sheet: Bears still looking to deal Forte

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fucking draft dorks. Trading Forte would be a huge mistake.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
For those saying, "if they aren't going to sign him, might as well get something for him".....that's not necessarily the case here. Even if you let Forte walk, there's a possibility the Bears can get a comp pick for him in the 2017 draft. If he signs a DeMarco Murray contract and the Bears don't go crazy with a huge free agent, they could potentially get a 3rd or 4th round comp pick. If he signs for what I think he will, and the Bears don't go crazy in free agency, I think he'll get the Bears a 5th/6th round comp.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
For those saying, "if they aren't going to sign him, might as well get something for him".....that's not necessarily the case here. Even if you let Forte walk, there's a possibility the Bears can get a comp pick for him in the 2017 draft. If he signs a DeMarco Murray contract and the Bears don't go crazy with a huge free agent, they could potentially get a 3rd or 4th round comp pick. If he signs for what I think he will, and the Bears don't go crazy in free agency, I think he'll get the Bears a 5th/6th round comp.
Only problem is that we'll have a ton of money in free agency and i think we'll spend it. Also i don't think gms take comp picks into consideration as much as fans and the media does. I think gms are aware of it but don't change how they approach free agency because of it.

Sent from a spaghetti monster circling the earth

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Only problem is that we'll have a ton of money in free agency and i think we'll spend it. Also i don't think gms take comp picks into consideration as much as fans and the media does. I think gms are aware of it but don't change how they approach free agency because of it.

That's true. Pace definitely won't hold back because of a comp pick. Didn't mean to imply that at all. But the Bears had a ton of money this offseason and didn't really make a huge splash signing. I think Pace knows throwing a ton of money at everyone won't work. But he'll definitely spend the money. And you're probably right that it'll be tough to get a comp pick for Forte because of the sheer amount of money the Bears have to spend.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
I respectfully disagree with you. The Browns suck. The Bears have been going toe to toe with every team they have played with Cutler under center. I truly believe that with him in the game, the Bears should be 4-2 if not for his injury. Last weekend was ridiculous in the sense of foxs management and the disgusting ruling of a touchdown(just a football fan not as a Bears fan); the Bears are good.

I still believe this team can make it to the post season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe. I think it's a stretch to characterize this team as "good", because i see a dumpster fire for LB/Safeties/CBs. Not much prettier on the DL. Not a team that can compete with playoff caliber opponents, certainly not on any sustainable basis.

The way i see it, it the team isn't a threat to advance in the playoffs and/or have multiple sustainable building blocks then blow it up and restart a la Cubs. Different sport with differing dynamics, but the principle applies.

greg23

Liked Posts:
If pace has already determined he is NOT going to try and resign forte (and I don't know how he could have made that determination as no rb has stood out as a 2016 alternative) then i could see him moving forte......for the right price.

But what is the right price?

4th rounder sounds too low
3rd rounder...maybe
2nd rounder....most likely

Then flip it, would anyone even offer a 2nd or 3rd and who has cap space this year to even make a trade?

End of the day, I don't think forte gets moved as hes not a problem to the staff or org and is the best most productive player we have so dumping him sends a poor message to the roster.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's unlikely at this point if someone was interested they would of already made the trade with a fourth or fifth round pick they can get someone younger.

Not necessarily true. Teams may want him but are calling our bluff for the price to go down. If someone wants him enough, they go before the deadline and if not, that's fine too.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

and nobody is paying a 31 year old running back $8m. I think if someone offers at the deadline, we pop for a 3rd. We may be holding at a 2nd right now.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Fucking draft dorks. Trading Forte would be a huge mistake.

All good things must end. Don't you want to see Forte try to play for something instead of wasting away his entire career playing for this sad franchise?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
All good things must end. Don't you want to see Forte try to play for something instead of wasting away his entire career playing for this sad franchise?

Eh shut the hell up

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Pace is going to get rid of him, you better find someone who will overpay. Don't give him away for pencil shavings like you did with Marshall.

Adrian Amos is way better than pencil shavings.

In fact he looks like a potential building block.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
and nobody is paying a 31 year old running back $8m. I think if someone offers at the deadline, we pop for a 3rd. We may be holding at a 2nd right now.
8 mill for the first two years, 4 mill per year and a back loaded 7 mill in the last year. Really a two year contract.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:

How many years have we drafted a late round safety that hasn't done squat. Amos is the exception.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

That's not how it works. You can't say it's a good trade because they wound up with Amos. Bottom line, they gave up an elite NFL WR for the 142nd pick in the draft. If Amos is a Hall of Famer, that's still not great value for Marshall other than in hindsight.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
That's not how it works. You can't say it's a good trade because they wound up with Amos. Bottom line, they gave up an elite NFL WR for the 142nd pick in the draft. If Amos is a Hall of Famer, that's still not great value for Marshall other than in hindsight.

Actually, that is how it works. They landed Amos by trading Marshall. Was it guaranteed to come away with a surprising rookie? No...but the whole league valued Marshall at a 5th rounder. That tells you the rest of the league wasn't fighting over this elite WR. Either way, in regards to Forte, I wouldn't be opposed to signing for another year or two...but if we could get a 3rd rounder for him, I would do that too.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Actually, that is how it works. They landed Amos by trading Marshall. Was it guaranteed to come away with a surprising rookie? No...but the whole league valued Marshall at a 5th rounder. That tells you the rest of the league wasn't fighting over this elite WR. Either way, in regards to Forte, I wouldn't be opposed to signing for another year or two...but if we could get a 3rd rounder for him, I would do that too.

The league didn't value him as a 5th rounder because of his on the field play. But my point is, sometimes your 5th round pick is Adrian Amos. Most times it's closer to Brock Vereen, or Evan Rodriguez, or Jordan Mills. If the Bears trade Forte for a 6th and get the 2nd coming of Tom Brady, then they still got pencil shavings. Because they only traded for a CHANCE at Tom Brady. It's like trading a new car for a scratch off.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Yes you can.

If Amos stunk then everyone would say he was given away for nothing.

If you trade a good player for a pick, then that pick better be a good player, turns out it was.

You get credit for hitting on the pick.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
saying that amos is at the beginning of his career and marshall is at the end I would say its not that out of the area. I don't think amos will be a hof but if he is a bear for the next ten years it is a great value

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Arian Foster will probably be out for the season. Trade option?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
The league didn't value him as a 5th rounder because of his on the field play. But my point is, sometimes your 5th round pick is Adrian Amos. Most times it's closer to Brock Vereen, or Evan Rodriguez, or Jordan Mills. If the Bears trade Forte for a 6th and get the 2nd coming of Tom Brady, then they still got pencil shavings. Because they only traded for a CHANCE at Tom Brady. It's like trading a new car for a scratch off.

Marshall was valued at a 5th for a variety of reasons. He does produce on the field but there's a lot of baggage that comes with him. Either way, I would do that deal again in a heart beat.

Forte is a different situation. Doesn't cause problems, is completely committed to football, well liked in the locker room but has fewer elite years left than Marshall does (probably). I wouldn't trade Matt for a 6th because I would be open to re-signing him for another year, possibly two depending on how the contract is set up. I could see the pros and cons with keeping him and trading him...but honestly I don't think he has more than 2 years of top level play left in him and I don't think the Bears will be contending for a super bowl in that time. I could see the argument of trading him for "pencil shavings" because of that...even though I wouldn't necessarily go that route.