Rap Sheet: Bears still looking to deal Forte

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Maybe Pace is the exception. Those mid round picks were missed by other guys.

If you trade a guy for a pick the trade should be judged by what you do with that pick? Shouldn't it?

To some extent. But you still have to maximize value in a trade. If the Bears trade Forte for a 6th, and draft a QB that turns out to be the next Tom Brady....it still doesn't change the fact they could have had the next Tom Brady AND another pick if they got fair market value for him. Sure your ability to draft factors in, but nobody can consistently draft 6th round picks good enough to justify taking a pick so low for a player of Forte's caliber. Now if they get a guy that even makes the team for the Bostic pick, then that's a win because the Bears probably got fair market value for Bostic.

The Bears traded a 2nd round pick for Gaines Adams. Adams died. The Bucs got Arrelious Benn out of the deal. Does that mean the Bears were justified in making such a terrible deal because the Bucs guy didn't do anything? (The actual Bears pick the Bears traded was #42 overall....Rob Grontkowski). If it works one way, it has to work both ways.

yttocs

Liked Posts:
He hasn't played yet. Very difficult to judge one way or the other.

But their 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks all look like they can play.

It might be time to stop assuming all Bears draft picks will be terrible before they are made. If you can get a 3rd or 4th for Forte you move him. The chances of drafting a quality player are pretty good in those rounds.

I meant your right. Got a player that's playing good for a player that need to be moved Got something outta it. As to White, a first round pick should be on the field (except QB for the most part) Inured or not not a good pick as of now

ginny

Liked Posts:
You make some good points but GB's situation is a rather unique one. They have the best player in the league and one of the best all time. Without Rodgers, they're not good and they aren't active in free agency which is a big reason why they have that cap space. We will not end up with an Aaron Rodgers, so having a plethora of cap space doesn't exactly help us out all that much. I'd like for us to get a little younger and make wiser signings than in the past. No more Allen, Bushrod, Houston, and Cutler type signings.

If a good portion of the $$$ isn't spent on the defense "keeping Rodgers off the field", then I would agree.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I never understood this "fair market value" thing.

Whatever pick you get, is fair market value. Unless you think Pace got a better offer but decided to trade him for less. The league determined a 5th rounder was fair market value for Marshall because that is the most any team would offer. It's pretty simple, really.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
If a good portion of the $$$ isn't spent on the defense "keeping Rodgers off the field", then I would agree.

Personally, I think Pace is going to spend the majority of the money on defense and then go into the draft with the plan of BPA.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
To some extent. But you still have to maximize value in a trade. If the Bears trade Forte for a 6th, and draft a QB that turns out to be the next Tom Brady....it still doesn't change the fact they could have had the next Tom Brady AND another pick if they got fair market value for him. Sure your ability to draft factors in, but nobody can consistently draft 6th round picks good enough to justify taking a pick so low for a player of Forte's caliber. Now if they get a guy that even makes the team for the Bostic pick, then that's a win because the Bears probably got fair market value for Bostic.

The Bears traded a 2nd round pick for Gaines Adams. Adams died. The Bucs got Arrelious Benn out of the deal. Does that mean the Bears were justified in making such a terrible deal because the Bucs guy didn't do anything? (The actual Bears pick the Bears traded was #42 overall....Rob Grontkowski). If it works one way, it has to work both ways.

That was a bad trade for everyone.

Market value is what you are offered.

If the Bears have NO plans to re-sign Matt Forte, then any pick provides them with a chance to land a player. Granted a 6th round pick is less likely to his as a 3rd, but a 6th round pick has more of a chance to help your team than nothing.

It all depends on what their long term plan is for Forte.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
McPhee
Jenkins
Acho
Porter

All for around 10 million combined.

4 starters, 1 potential All Pro, another having a career year for 10 million, slow clap standing ovation.

Yeah i guess to Iookkiiiokkkiiii that's a shaky start to a GM career. Hahaha

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I meant your right. Got a player that's playing good for a player that need to be moved Got something outta it. As to White, a first round pick should be on the field (except QB for the most part) Inured or not not a good pick as of now

Oh good another poster that makes dumb posts.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah i guess to Iookkiiiokkkiiii that's a shaky start to a GM career. Hahaha

2nd and 5th round picks are starting and playing well.

3rd and 4th round pick look like long term starters.

ginny

Liked Posts:
Personally, I think Pace is going to spend the majority of the money on defense and then go into the draft with the plan of BPA.

Agreed...
Considering the Bears needs at multiple positions, BPA would be the wise move. I would also like to see one of the potential aquired draft picks (via trade) be parlayed on a QB to groom .

Notice I said groom...don't want to see a QB thrown into the fire before he's ready.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Agreed...
Considering the Bears needs at multiple positions, BPA would be the wise move. I would also like to see one of the potential aquired draft picks (via trade) be parlayed on a QB to groom .

Notice I said groom...don't want to see a QB thrown into the fire before he's ready.

I'm sure Pace will draft a QB somewhere this draft.

As far as free agency, I'd spend big on an OL, preferably an OT and then allocate most of what's left on defense. I'd like to come away with two new starters on the OL this off-season. Preferably, 1 in free agency and 1 in the draft but really, I don't care how it's done.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
That was a bad trade for everyone.

Market value is what you are offered.

If the Bears have NO plans to re-sign Matt Forte, then any pick provides them with a chance to land a player. Granted a 6th round pick is less likely to his as a 3rd, but a 6th round pick has more of a chance to help your team than nothing.

It all depends on what their long term plan is for Forte.

It was a bad trade for the Bears because they gave up what could have been Rob Grontkowski for Gaines Adams. Opportunity cost has to factor in. And this is not a Jared Allen or Jon Bostic type of scenario. Forte CAN obviously help this team now and in the short-term future. So, they probably don't have 0 plans to re-sign him. It may be a long shot, but trading Forte means no ability to franchise or renegotiate with him when he tests FA to see what the market dictates.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Agreed...

Well Pace made it pretty clear before his first draft that he's a BPA kind of guy so i'm sure that's what he'll do in the next draft as well.