REPORT: Sweat’s reported distaste for the Bears could complicate an extension.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'd disagree. The Falcons are a very good example of a team that is a decent QB away from being a contender. They have a lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball and their D has been solid this year. They rank 6th in yards allowed per game and 14th in points allowed per game. In 2022, their O-line was also pretty good, but they've taken a step back this year. Though, I think a lot of their problems stem from Desmond Ridder. Holds the ball too long, no awareness in the pocket, etc.

If they didn't have a QB that turned the ball over so much, they could very well be 6-2 or maybe even 7-1 this year.

Maybe the Falcons aren't super close to winning a ring, they're definitely closer than we are. We need more than just a decent QB to compete for one... we need.... a lot.
The Falcons are built for this year at best. Grady Jackson, Calais Campbell are gone next season and those are their best defensive players. At best they are the 2018 Bears.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
oh no! Jaylon Johnson might leave instead of us paying him 15+ mil per year!!! what ever shall we do?!?!

Bust

Liked Posts:
Holy Moly Guacamole! Look at Daniel Jones since signing his new deal. Jones doesn't get the money without Brian Daboll giving the nod to management.

I've seen bad but my gawd this is on another level. 2 touchdowns on the season with 6 picks #brutal

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Falcons are built for this year at best. Grady Jackson, Calais Campbell are gone next season and those are their best defensive players. At best they are the 2018 Bears.

Campbell, most likely. He's old anyway though. But do you mean Jarrett? If yes, they may actually be able to bring him back at a discount after his most recent injury.

Either way, they're still in a better position. Idk what they do with Arthur Smith... If they let him go and start over, then maybe they retool the roster. If they keep him and bring in a better QB, this is a playoff team imo. Hell, with their division, they may even be a playoff team this year.

Beast15

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m waiting on sports mockery to confirm this. Until then, I’m not getting triggered

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Campbell, most likely. He's old anyway though. But do you mean Jarrett? If yes, they may actually be able to bring him back at a discount after his most recent injury.

Either way, they're still in a better position. Idk what they do with Arthur Smith... If they let him go and start over, then maybe they retool the roster. If they keep him and bring in a better QB, this is a playoff team imo. Hell, with their division, they may even be a playoff team this year.
Being a playoff team doesn’t mean your good. Yes I meant Jarrett. The 2020 Bears made the playoffs and they were garbage.

According to Sagarin, the Falcons have had the easiest schedule in the league and they aren’t even a full point over the Bears in his rankings.

(It also shows the dumpster fire that is the NFC North & NFC South—Lions only rank 12th with the 26th SOS—not surprising)

Just look at the Falcons wins. Doesn’t exactly inspire confidence.

Marley's Liberality

Liked Posts:
its clickbait, nothing more. he will suit up and play out this season, likely enjoy the city of chicago and then when the brinks truck gets backed up to his door he will sign the extension to stay in chicago.
I hope you are correct.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am really finding this hard to believe, if Poles traded a top ten second round pick for Sweat, without even having preliminary extension talks, he needs to be shown the door immediately.

Can he really be THAT stupid?

Exactly, I doubt he made this trade without talking to Sweat’s agent first.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Being a playoff team doesn’t mean your good. Yes I meant Jarrett. The 2020 Bears made the playoffs and they were garbage.

According to Sagarin, the Falcons have had the easiest schedule in the league and they aren’t even a full point over the Bears in his rankings.

(It also shows the dumpster fire that is the NFC North & NFC South—Lions only rank 12th with the 26th SOS—not surprising)

Just look at the Falcons wins. Doesn’t exactly inspire confidence.

But that was what I meant about the QB play. They would have won a couple of the games they lost if they had someone competent at QB. And then you look at a win like they had against he Bucs where Ridder lost 3 fumbles, and they still won.

Give them a better QB, and their margin of victory improves a lot. That may be an obvious statement because if any team improves their QB they'd do better... but the difference is that Atlanta actually has talent on the roster outside of the QB. And Ridder is single handedly making everyone else's job harder. With his turnovers, he's constantly putting pressure on their defense, and he's doing his offensive line no favors either.

But again, I'm not saying they're locks as contenders if they got a better QB... but I do think they're much closer than the Bears. When we're one of the worst teams in the league two years in a row with very little signs of improvement, most teams are much closer than us.

Bust

Liked Posts:
I’m waiting on sports mockery to confirm this. Until then, I’m not getting triggered

based off the first few responses here you see how easy social media works their magic. doesn't take much, lol

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
But that was what I meant about the QB play. They would have won a couple of the games they lost if they had someone competent at QB. And then you look at a win like they had against he Bucs where Ridder lost 3 fumbles, and they still won.

Give them a better QB, and their margin of victory improves a lot. That may be an obvious statement because if any team improves their QB they'd do better... but the difference is that Atlanta actually has talent on the roster outside of the QB. And Ridder is single handedly making everyone else's job harder. With his turnovers, he's constantly putting pressure on their defense, and he's doing his offensive line no favors either.

But again, I'm not saying they're locks as contenders if they got a better QB... but I do think they're much closer than the Bears. When we're one of the worst teams in the league two years in a row with very little signs of improvement, most teams are much closer than us.
You can’t look at it that way without looking at the other way:

They have been extremely lucky in close games. They could easily just as be 1-7. This is a team that will go into next year thinking they are legit but in reality they will end up regressing back to the mean and fall flat on their face. Especially if they win their shit division and have to actually play legit teams more often.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There may be some truth here though.

The Falcons reportedly offered a 3rd for Sweat but we outbid them. Seems reasonable that Sweat's agent called up Atlanta and said he wants to go there... They made an offer, but weren't willing to give up the capitol that we did.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
There may be some truth here though.

The Falcons reportedly offered a 3rd for Sweat but we outbid them. Seems reasonable that Sweat's agent called up Atlanta and said he wants to go there... They made an offer, but weren't willing to give up the capitol that we did.
Shit, were the Bears authorized to throw in Springfield as a sweetener?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Me next year when sweat and fields carpool to Atlanta and win a Super Bowl.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
Exactly, I doubt he made this trade without talking to Sweat’s agent first.

Based on everything that Poles has done in his tenure here, it would not surprise me one bit if he didn't actually talk to Sweat's agent before making the trade. It remains baffling they didn't sign him to an extension as a condition of making the trade.