REPORT: Sweat’s reported distaste for the Bears could complicate an extension.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Probably not

I still think they get this deal done sooner than later and its gonna be huge money
Did you here what JJ said in his presser when the media asked him if he would feel spited (my words) if the Bears signed Sweat to a deal after just trading for him but not being able to come to an agreement with him on a new deal? He basically said he would.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Wouldn't say that...Just based on JJ's interview on espn 1000 today he thinks he's the best corner in the league. That would make you think hes asking to set the corner market.
He said in the same interview that he's not looking to break any records with a new contract.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I'm saying Sweat lol.

Your new head coach (who's also your DC for undisclosed reasons) says “its not a good day for the Bears” on your first day in the office because he fired a coach.

Then says “our culture is awesome!”
That’s okay, Flus will only be his coach for 9 games at most lol

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
lol not really. He basically stated he, as any sane player would, wants to see how this organization operates before making a decision on a long term deal. According to everyone in the Sweat trade thread - a deal was set in parameters and they would follow through with it after the physical. Didn’t happen because Poles is a reckless and incompetent GM.

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
No dorkness intended.

There’s not a “huge” difference just like the Sweat’s trade couldn’t be “much worse”.

Claypool was essentially a 1st round pick for 5 starts 19 receptions 190 yards 1 TD.

Sweats could leave at the end of the year and still not be much worse than the Claypool trade.
He was a second round pick, which the Bears ended up with worst record so it was first pick in 2nd round for a player, although a disappointment in the end, his contract extended through more than just that half year. You give exactly the same for a player who is only under contract for the rest of the year and is not willing to commit beyond. The fact the Bears are not competing at all makes it a completely useless trade and complete waste of high 2nd round pick.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
At a quiet NFL trade deadline, these teams were the biggest losers

"

1. Chicago Bears

They whiffed at the trade deadline a year ago, giving away what became the equivalent of a first-round pick for suspect wide receiver Chase Claypool, and did so again this year, trading a second-round pick for Washington Commanders defensive end Montez Sweat and not moving disgruntled cornerback Jaylon Johnson. Multiple general managers — who spoke on the condition of anonymity to be candid without damaging their ability to negotiate with teams in the future — complained that the Bears waited until effectively midnight to make Johnson available, minimizing the window to land him.

“[Bears General Manager Ryan] Poles f---ed it up again,” said one general manager who was in the cornerback market.

“You can’t wait until midnight and then tell everyone in the middle of the night, ‘Now he can seek a trade,’ ” said another general manager, “and then expect teams to compete to negotiate the deal and get to know the player and work something out with the agent. That should have happened two weeks ago.” Another executive who was in talks with Poles said: “He has a really difficult time under the clock. Personally, I don’t get what they did. That’s going to be, what, the 35th pick for Sweat?” Others also panned that deal.

“You can’t make that trade without having him signed,” the second general manager said. “Can you imagine what happens if Sweat gets hurt and they don’t have a deal? What’s the comp pick going to be then [if he leaves as a free agent]? I heard he was going to Atlanta for a [third-round pick] and then Poles swooped in and blew them away. I don’t get it.”

And with the Bears at 2-6, Sweat is unlikely to turn around another lost season.

“Doesn’t make sense for where Chicago is,” the first general manager said. “I’d have rather just traded [a third-round pick] for Chase Young” — the other Commanders edge rusher who went to the San Francisco 49ers at that price. “They should have been selling.” "

Dumpster Fire

Liked Posts:
Jalen Carter fled the scene of a fatal car crash! When can we stop pining over him?

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Did you here what JJ said in his presser when the media asked him if he would feel spited (my words) if the Bears signed Sweat to a deal after just trading for him but not being able to come to an agreement with him on a new deal? He basically said he would.

Then maybe he shouldn't have said that he was done negotiating for now? What does he expect? For the Bears to not do anything until they make him happy? Lol

abegibronreborn

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Iowa Hawkeyes
Yeah... this is not a true statement.
One of the favorites to hoist the Lombardi Trophy at the conclusion of Super Bowl LVIII in Las Vegas just got even more dangerous. The San Francisco 49ers have agreed to a trade with the Washington Commanders to acquire pass rusher Chase Young, CBS Sports Lead NFL Insider Jonathan Jones reports. To land Young, the Niners have shipped out a third-round pick, according to CBS Sports NFL Insider Josina Anderson. Specifically, Sports Illustrated notes that it's a compensatory third-round selection heading back to Washington.

Neckbeard

Liked Posts:
At a quiet NFL trade deadline, these teams were the biggest losers

"

1. Chicago Bears

They whiffed at the trade deadline a year ago, giving away what became the equivalent of a first-round pick for suspect wide receiver Chase Claypool, and did so again this year, trading a second-round pick for Washington Commanders defensive end Montez Sweat and not moving disgruntled cornerback Jaylon Johnson. Multiple general managers — who spoke on the condition of anonymity to be candid without damaging their ability to negotiate with teams in the future — complained that the Bears waited until effectively midnight to make Johnson available, minimizing the window to land him.

“[Bears General Manager Ryan] Poles f---ed it up again,” said one general manager who was in the cornerback market.

“You can’t wait until midnight and then tell everyone in the middle of the night, ‘Now he can seek a trade,’ ” said another general manager, “and then expect teams to compete to negotiate the deal and get to know the player and work something out with the agent. That should have happened two weeks ago.” Another executive who was in talks with Poles said: “He has a really difficult time under the clock. Personally, I don’t get what they did. That’s going to be, what, the 35th pick for Sweat?” Others also panned that deal.

“You can’t make that trade without having him signed,” the second general manager said. “Can you imagine what happens if Sweat gets hurt and they don’t have a deal? What’s the comp pick going to be then [if he leaves as a free agent]? I heard he was going to Atlanta for a [third-round pick] and then Poles swooped in and blew them away. I don’t get it.”

And with the Bears at 2-6, Sweat is unlikely to turn around another lost season.

“Doesn’t make sense for where Chicago is,” the first general manager said. “I’d have rather just traded [a third-round pick] for Chase Young” — the other Commanders edge rusher who went to the San Francisco 49ers at that price. “They should have been selling.” "

He didn't want to trade JJ. I think this take is not knowing all the info. What really determines how good it was/was not is how it works out over time. Knee jerk reactions have been wrong soooo often.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Oh no, he traded a 2nd round pick in a poor pass rush draft for a really good proven player. What ever will he do playing for the Chicago Bears and his soon to come generational wealth.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
He didn't want to trade JJ. I think this take is not knowing all the info. What really determines how good it was/was not is how it works out over time. Knee jerk reactions have been wrong soooo often.
.. not to mention that these GM's are competing AGAINST each other and are likely going to talk down anything that they couldn't take advantage of personally.

These other teams aren't thinking about our long term prospects, for sure.

Last edited: