REPORT: Sweat’s reported distaste for the Bears could complicate an extension.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Even in the event sweat gets tagged or even if he does eventually sign, shouldn’t we all agree that it was beyond idiotic for poles to trade for a guy about to hit FA without already having a deal in place?

It takes a special kind of idiot to do something like this

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Even in the event sweat gets tagged or even if he does eventually sign, shouldn’t we all agree that it was beyond idiotic for poles to trade for a guy about to hit FA without already having a deal in place?

It takes a special kind of idiot to do something like this
except with the franchise tag weapon for the next two years, he will not truly be hitting the FA market really. so i dont really care that much as to how far along extension talks got pre trade.

RuszBron1

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
Don't blame him one bit. I'd do the same if in a similar situation. It's why I wouldn't have made the trade without an extension being a condition of the trade and why I hate the move so much.
Quite possibly Poles and Sweat agent had a conversation setting parameters for future contract, which rightfully so is kept private. At this point we are speculating without really know the facts..

Last edited:

abegibronreborn

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Iowa Hawkeyes
Lol, if he’s interested in a ring, the Falcons aren’t much closer to that than the Bears are.

Chase Young nets a third-round pick from the Niners, likely around pick #90.

The Bears send a second rounder, likely a top forty pick, for Sweat. And the guy has already indicated that he's not thrilled about it.

Sounds pretty Bears to me.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Quite possibly Poles and Sweat agent had a conversation setting parameters for future contract which rightfully so, is kept private. At this point we are speculating without really know the facts..

It'll take time. Roquan was traded with no deal in place and didn't get one until the offseason where they still had to sign Lamar Jackson as well

Hopefully it gets done

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
you know what will make him sure of the extension?? about 125 million over 5 years will make him sure. when faced with the options of that sort of extension or a franchise tag, itll become an easy decision for him. right now, its merely a negotiating tactic on Sweats part.

It feels like they're going to have to pay the free agency premium while giving up the 2nd round pick and with the threat that if they don't, they lose either JJ or him for nothing. Feels like they've backed themselves into a corner because they didn't do what most teams do when they give up real compensation - signed extension or no deal.

Now if they sign him to an extension, cool, but please don't do that type of trade again.

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I’m sweat I want $150 million. I’d look fat Poles straight in his eyes and say pay me or you will be out of a job we both know it’s true.
100% correct. I like Sweat but Poles should not have been given the authority to make this trade given his uncertain future as the GM. Poles knows this and so does Sweats agent. Sweat can force Poles to overpay him because he has him by the balls. If Poles doesn't give Sweat what he's asking, Sweat can take the 20 mil tag next year or make big money on the FA market. It's a win win for Sweat. If Poles gives up a 2nd for a player he is unable to sign long term his employment with the Bears will be over.

Neckbeard

Liked Posts:
Usually the most obvious answer is the correct one... Sweat probably wants to meet his teammates, coaches, and play a few games before going all in on a 3-4 year extension. I don't see anything wrong with that. I could also see a general framework was already verbally agreed upon and now its just down to giving it a little time. He hasn't even practiced once yet.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought there was supposed to be a Poles press conference at 230. He needs to be asked these questions. The Sweat pc didn't really mean much to me. He found out from his agent yesterday at 4 he was traded and has been running around since.

If Poles has nothing in place except try to negotiate and if not franchise tag, that sucks..

However, despite the Bears sucking for the last 3 years, and like 10 out of the last 15, players rarely want to leave Chicago.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I thought there was supposed to be a Poles press conference at 230. He needs to be asked these questions. The Sweat pc didn't really mean much to me. He found out from his agent yesterday at 4 he was traded and has been running around since.

If Poles has nothing in place except try to negotiate and if not franchise tag, that sucks..

However, despite the Bears sucking for the last 3 years, and like 10 out of the last 15, players rarely want to leave Chicago.

There was a press conference...

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
you know what will make him sure of the extension?? about 125 million over 5 years will make him sure. when faced with the options of that sort of extension or a franchise tag, itll become an easy decision for him. right now, its merely a negotiating tactic on Sweats part.
Maybe, but it's odd for a player to say that even. Usually it's the typical: "Just focused on football and peforming my best. Everything else will work itself out."

IMO, that's a strange response from him.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It'll take time. Roquan was traded with no deal in place and didn't get one until the offseason where they still had to sign Lamar Jackson as well

Hopefully it gets done
But the Bears don’t deserve the benefit of the doubt

@Toast88

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Maybe, but it's odd for a player to say that even. Usually it's the typical: "Just focused on football and peforming my best. Everything else will work itself out."

IMO, that's a strange response from him.
myyyyy what times are these when honest answers are viewed as strange! lol