Reuben Foster arrested for possession of marijuana

Antobears

Liked Posts:
Really. So you are telling me you want your CardioThoracic Surgeon to smoke a bowl before coming to work and doing your open heart surgery? If your school bus driver is working for a private company that is contracted to your kid's school district you are fine with him getting stoned at home and possibly coming to work stoned to drive your kids to school?

I personally don't give two snots about a professional athlete doing pot but he signed a contract to play in the NFL and part of that contract is an agreement to not do certain drugs. Whether someone agrees with the rule is immaterial. He signed that contract and should be held to it. Until the NFL policy is changed then he should and will pay the penalty.

If people just blindly obey rules nothing ever changes. I know what you mean but he's just a stupid kid doing the kind of thing lots of stupid kid do (me included). The drug does not enhance performance so he can't be classified as a cheat which is much worse for the integrity of the game.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If people just blindly obey rules nothing ever changes. I know what you mean but he's just a stupid kid doing the kind of thing lots of stupid kid do (me included). The drug does not enhance performance so he can't be classified as a cheat which is much worse for the integrity of the game.

I don't disagree that the rule about pot and pro athletes is dumb but it is still a condition of employment. He knew that when he signed up so he gets what he gets.

I more responded to your idea that private individuals should be allowed to smoke dope on their own time and that private companies can't tell you not to do it. Well, if you work for WalMart I suppose that is possibly true (although as long as it is still illegal they have the right to tell your employees not to break the law). I just pointed out that not every instance of someone doing something as a private citizen shouldn't have a consequence. I work as an Intensive Care Unit Nurse. I am subject to drug testing. It doesn't matter if I do on my own time or am not high when I go to work. And it should be that way.

Antobears

Liked Posts:
I don't disagree that the rule about pot and pro athletes is dumb but it is still a condition of employment. He knew that when he signed up so he gets what he gets.

I more responded to your idea that private individuals should be allowed to smoke dope on their own time and that private companies can't tell you not to do it. Well, if you work for WalMart I suppose that is possibly true (although as long as it is still illegal they have the right to tell your employees not to break the law). I just pointed out that not every instance of someone doing something as a private citizen shouldn't have a consequence. I work as an Intensive Care Unit Nurse. I am subject to drug testing. It doesn't matter if I do on my own time or am not high when I go to work. And it should be that way.

Fair enough bro. Intensive nurse must be an extremely demanding job. My only concern is that football is about young people playing a game for our enjoyment. I just don't know whether it's reasonable to expect them to act as adults. I could be totally incorrect about that but I enjoy the game and kinda think f**k everything else :bears:

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I personally think that if and when the Fed legalized Marijuana then there probably will be a change in the policy. I don't think that the league can continue to ban pot on moral grounds while allowing their players to consume large amounts of alcohol with no penalty. For all the discussion of CTE I don't know if the correlation between the heavy alcohol use by players has been discussed in the encephalopathy that many players have. Most of these guys have a hard drinking lifestyle and anyone that has seen a CAT scan of a heavy drinker can see the shrinkage of the brain that occurs over time. The head trauma certainly has something to do with it but ETOH is probably a contributing factor.

Antobears

Liked Posts:
I personally think that if and when the Fed legalized Marijuana then there probably will be a change in the policy. I don't think that the league can continue to ban pot on moral grounds while allowing their players to consume large amounts of alcohol with no penalty. For all the discussion of CTE I don't know if the correlation between the heavy alcohol use by players has been discussed in the encephalopathy that many players have. Most of these guys have a hard drinking lifestyle and anyone that has seen a CAT scan of a heavy drinker can see the shrinkage of the brain that occurs over time. The head trauma certainly has something to do with it but ETOH is probably a contributing factor.
This

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Really. So you are telling me you want your CardioThoracic Surgeon to smoke a bowl before coming to work and doing your open heart surgery? If your school bus driver is working for a private company that is contracted to your kid's school district you are fine with him getting stoned at home and possibly coming to work stoned to drive your kids to school?

I personally don't give two snots about a professional athlete doing pot but he signed a contract to play in the NFL and part of that contract is an agreement to not do certain drugs. Whether someone agrees with the rule is immaterial. He signed that contract and should be held to it. Until the NFL policy is changed then he should and will pay the penalty.

Since you can't seem to differentiate between off work and on work is it safe to assume you're OK with your surgeon operating on you drunk?

How about your surgeon being underslept and overworked?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Key word. Alabama. Where you have a church on every corner yet you get to date the high school girls, spell it 'evilution' and being black is a justifiable cause for search and seizure.

Actually, recent poll data suggests (I'll try to find it) that people in Alabama are increasingly in favor of legal marijuana.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Key word. Alabama. Where you have a church on every corner yet you get to date the high school girls, spell it 'evilution' and being black is a justifiable cause for search and seizure.
Unfortunately, the only reasons why this specifically matters is because of the Attorney General's thoughts on the matter. I wouldn't normally post this in this forum, but because of the discussion:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/11/jef...ma-supports-legal-weed-survey-commentary.html

This is the only portion of the article that doesn't discuss it in terms of politics:

The deep-south is not known for its liberal drug policy, however, according to a new survey from the Green Market Report and Consumer Research Around Cannabis, the majority of Alabama's citizens support cannabis legalization.

The survey was given to residents from the Birmingham metropolitan area who have voted in the last year, including 21 counties surrounding the city and not limited to more democratic-leaning urban areas. Of the 788 respondents, 63.8 percent said they support legalizing cannabis for medical and/or recreational use. This is on par with the latest national data from Gallup, which reported 64 percent of Americans support full legalization.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Actually, recent poll data suggests (I'll try to find it) that people in Alabama are increasingly in favor of legal marijuana.

I think most people under the age of 70 ? 80? are in favor of legalization. Pot is no worse than alcohol and it can be regulated and taxed. The infrastructure of the country is a joke, as is our educational system. Both could use an influx of money that legalization would lend. But that may not change any NFL or professional sports teams rules. It is still a penalty for a positive test.

Hire a driver, don’t take weed outside of your house, there are lots of options but the guy doesn’t seem to be very bright and possible not emotionally stable. This won’t be his last run in with the man.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I think most people under the age of 70 ? 80? are in favor of legalization. Pot is no worse than alcohol and it can be regulated and taxed. The infrastructure of the country is a joke, as is our educational system. Both could use an influx of money that legalization would lend. But that may not change any NFL or professional sports teams rules. It is still a penalty for a positive test.

Hire a driver, don’t take weed outside of your house, there are lots of options but the guy doesn’t seem to be very bright and possible not emotionally stable. This won’t be his last run in with the man.
I've heard arguments that alcohol is actually much worse.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I've heard arguments that alcohol is actually much worse.

A couple of guys who used to work for me went on to become cops. One a city cop, one with the RCMP. Both have said 90% of all calls are alcohol related.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
A couple of guys who used to work for me went on to become cops. One a city cop, one with the RCMP. Both have said 90% of all calls are alcohol related.

That's a great point, but I wasn't even thinking that. I was just thinking in terms of what it does to your body.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
That's a great point, but I wasn't even thinking that. I was just thinking in terms of what it does to your body.

I can only go from experience on that. It definitely is much harder to recover from a night of alcohol, and I know of 5 people in my life who died directly from alcoholism. I know nobody who died directly from weed. And I'm speaking of medical conditions, not accidents, etc.

napo55

Liked Posts:
There is evidence that pot can damage the developing brains of young people. The question is whether legalization will make it more available to kids. Many say no. But I wonder if it is lying around openly in the house, aren't kids more likely to use It? Based on my experience with cigarettes, I'd say yes.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
There is evidence that pot can damage the developing brains of young people. The question is whether legalization will make it more available to kids. Many say no. But I wonder if it is lying around openly in the house, aren't kids more likely to use It? Based on my experience with cigarettes, I'd say yes.

Apparently pot use is up among the older genrations, but is on a decline with the youngins.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Apparently pot use is up among the older genrations, but is on a decline with the youngins.

https://www.livescience.com/57504-why-more-older-americans-smoking-marijuana.html

data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) shows that from 2002 to 2014, marijuana use among those 55 to 64 years old rose from 1.1 percent of the population to 6.1 percent, a 455 percent increase. (For comparison, usage rates among 18- to 25-year-olds rose 13 percent over the same period.)