Rumor: Bears have massive offer on table for Watson

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Can we please stop with the E.jackson played like shit last year? Yes he didn't play the way he played before we gave him his new contract but he didn't play like shit. He missed tackles and hasn't been getting turnovers but he's still far from being a shit player. I also don't think he's the highest paid safety anymore but not 100% on that, i think it might be Buddah Baker now.

Yes you have to give to get and that package of 3 1st round picks, 2 2nd round picks and two great young players is definitely giving but i don't think it should take that much but i also obviously have zero idea so it's just my opinion. I'd still give them either one of Roquan and JJ which i'm sure they'd want Roquan and i'd still give them 3 1st round picks and i'd still give them a couple other picks but not 2 2nd's.

3 -1st round picks
1 - 3rd round pick in 2021
1 - 4th round pick in 2022
R.Smith or JJ
E.Jackson or K.Fuller

That's a hell of a return

Dude, EJ was bad last year man. What metric or eye test are you looking at to suggest otherwise? Especially considering his contract. He was a bad player last season.

You have to look at it from the Texans point of view. Watson is a top 5 QB who is literally on a hall of fame trajectory. When talking value, it doesn't get any higher than that. Let's break down the trade proposal I suggested, starting with the players.

Roquan Smith - A very good ILB, which is one of the easiest positions to replace. The Bears did fine enough without him in 19 when they were starting KPL and Kwit. Very good player that plays a very replaceable position. Although, still a pro bowl caliber player. Strongest and likely most valuable piece the Bears are sending back.

JJ- Promising rookie CB who has some legit injury concerns. He could turn out to be anything from injury riddled and never making an impact, to best case scenario, maybe a pro bowl CB. A solid starter seems to be the safest thought here.

2021 1st round pick - This pick is #20 overall, in a draft where scouting and player interaction is at an unprecedented difficult level.

Two future 1st round picks - Again, likely to be no higher than #20 overall. Maybe you get a great player, maybe you don't. Odds are against you in finding pro bowlers.

2021 2nd and future 2nd - Again, middle to the end of the round here. Maybe you get a great player, but odds are you don't find pro bowlers.

Honestly, if I'm the Texans, I'm not very excited about the return. If they happened to accept it, I would jump for joy if I'm the Bears. The Texans give away HoF trending player that plays the most position in all of sports, and they get back a pro bowl ILB, a decent corner, and some middle-late round 1sts and 2nd round picks. Yeah, I think the Bears win here.

KingInTheNorth

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Do you have a link? I don't see where Glazer said this.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
In my eyes it has more to do with even having the assets to make the top offer. We pick #20 this year and if you add Watson to the team I think it is fair to assume future draft picks would be #20 or later. Houston, I'm sure would like to have a serviceable QB this year. They already traded their 1st rd draft pick. Our #20 and whatever we add isn't going to help them much.

And yes, I believe other teams like Carolina & Washington that are as desperate.
pace will, or should, give away every future asset he can to acquire Watson and save his job. there is no way carolina and washington are as desperate as pace, those are both brand new regimes.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
Dude, EJ was bad last year man. What metric or eye test are you looking at to suggest otherwise? Especially considering his contract. He was a bad player last season.

You have to look at it from the Texans point of view. Watson is a top 5 QB who is literally on a hall of fame trajectory. When talking value, it doesn't get any higher than that. Let's break down the trade proposal I suggested, starting with the players.

Roquan Smith - A very good ILB, which is one of the easiest positions to replace. The Bears did fine enough without him in 19 when they were starting KPL and Kwit. Very good player that plays a very replaceable position. Although, still a pro bowl caliber player. Strongest and likely most valuable piece the Bears are sending back.

JJ- Promising rookie CB who has some legit injury concerns. He could turn out to be anything from injury riddled and never making an impact, to best case scenario, maybe a pro bowl CB. A solid starter seems to be the safest thought here.

2021 1st round pick - This pick is #20 overall, in a draft where scouting and player interaction is at an unprecedented difficult level.

Two future 1st round picks - Again, likely to be no higher than #20 overall. Maybe you get a great player, maybe you don't. Odds are against you in finding pro bowlers.

2021 2nd and future 2nd - Again, middle to the end of the round here. Maybe you get a great player, but odds are you don't find pro bowlers.

Honestly, if I'm the Texans, I'm not very excited about the return. If they happened to accept it, I would jump for joy if I'm the Bears. The Texans give away HoF trending player that plays the most position in all of sports, and they get back a pro bowl ILB, a decent corner, and some middle-late round 1sts and 2nd round picks. Yeah, I think the Bears win here.
You have to remember that on the Texans side of the equation is the reality that Watson doesn't want to play a down of football again for their team. You have a few QB desperate teams right now who you can try and take advantage of for sure, but as off season gets closer and the draft happens, those teams are going to make moves and the Texans could still be sitting there with a malcontent QB and a dwindled market. The Texans have to play with fire on this one and hope they don't get burned trying to get too greedy because while they have a high trajectory player in their hand right now, each day that passes puts them at less of a position of strength as teams move on with other plans.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
And we have no idea who leaked this one, so how do we know it's creditable?

For all we know the Eagles could be leaking this claim as well. It makes no sense, but neither does blindly following a rumor without understanding who/what the source is.
You still big mad the bears didn't trade a first for Wentz?

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
The video articles are using to claim bears have a huge offer on the table actually never says that. I believe it is Jeff darlington just claiming that Houston should take advantage of how desperate the bears are. Then journalists are running with the idea they are desperate must mean they have huge offers out there. Nothing new here

Enasic

Liked Posts:
You have to remember that on the Texans side of the equation is the reality that Watson doesn't want to play a down of football again for their team. You have a few QB desperate teams right now who you can try and take advantage of for sure, but as off season gets closer and the draft happens, those teams are going to make moves and the Texans could still be sitting there with a malcontent QB and a dwindled market. The Texans have to play with fire on this one and hope they don't get burned trying to get too greedy because while they have a high trajectory player in their hand right now, each day that passes puts them at less of a position of strength as teams move on with other plans.

True but they still have plenty of time. I also wouldn’t put it past them to hold out and force Watson to actually sit out games and lose 10s of millions of dollars. I would not put it past them.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The video articles are using to claim bears have a huge offer on the table actually never says that. I believe it is Jeff darlington just claiming that Houston should take advantage of how desperate the bears are. Then journalists are running with the idea they are desperate must mean they have huge offers out there. Nothing new here

Its so obvious to everyone that the Bears are desperate. Not a good sign.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
So conjecture based on a baseless opinion. Great.

I also have a massive offer on the table but that's only because I am standing naked in the kitchen pestering my wife.

Last edited:

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Its so obvious to everyone that the Bears are desperate. Not a good sign.

I mean, it's obvious that every team that doesn't have a franchise QB is going to want Watson. Are the Bears MORE desparate than other teams? Maybe some, but mainly because they have a roster built to contend now and Pace/Nagy are on the hot seat. That said, Watson's no trade clause and the compensations other teams are willing to give up make things very interesting. Honestly, the Bears are dumb enough to be fine with signing Mitch to a one year deal or starting Foles and upgrading elsewhere. It's not out of the realm of possibility with them. It's a situation where their incompetence could actually work in their favor as far as other GMs gauging their desperation factor.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
There’s not a player on defense that shouldn’t be traded. They are all replaceable. I question Roquan’s mental state. I question Johnson’s health. I question Hicks age. I question Jacksons motivation. I question Macks production. Any player they want should be offered up to them. Even fuller who is our most reliable on defense. Point is if they want anyone on defense we should give it up to get what this franchise has desperately needed since forever...

Reactions: DC
Liked Posts:
This same guy mentioned the Texans arent taking offers. It's all garbage speculation at this point. The teams with real draft capital like Miami are waiting it out to see what teams with little to offer like the bears are offering first.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
You still big mad the bears didn't trade a first for Wentz?
Nah. Happy it's done. Like all divorces, I wish my side got more, but at the of the day there was no way Wentz and the Eagles could pretend things would workout between them.

I am a little bummed for you Bears fans. Looks like this great market of potential QBs has gotten shallow quickly. As it stands you have your hail mary chances, being Watson or Wilson, but realistically it will probably be Foles + another backup type guy and maybe a rookie. I wanted Chicago to get a high ceiling type guy and hopefully have it all figured out by now. That's not the case.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
... I question Hicks age....
He's 31 years old. Was born on November 16, 1989.

tenor.gif

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
My best guess of a potential offer?

Roquan, JJ, 3 1sts, 2 2nds.

Not sure how they upgrade the OL and get the defense up to snuff, but I’d do it. My guess is they tag and trade Robinson and then hope desai/Pettine could keep the defense respectable

I'd still give them either one of Roquan and JJ which i'm sure they'd want Roquan and i'd still give them 3 1st round picks and i'd still give them a couple other picks but not 2 2nd's.

3 -1st round picks
1 - 3rd round pick in 2021
1 - 4th round pick in 2022
R.Smith or JJ
E.Jackson or K.Fuller

That's a hell of a return
FFS, these scenarios are stupid.

Get a talented QB, that proved he could not win without superior talent around him by giving up a huge amount of defensive talent and 3 years worth of your best draft capital.

So now you have a high priced QB
You have an awful OL, and limited skill player talent.
You can't afford better talent because you are tight against the cap.
You can't draft superior talent because you gave up all you prime picks for 2-3 years and have gaping holes at RT, LT, WR, G, MLB, CB, NB.
So three yrs of getting shellacked and the fans turning on him, the Bears will trade him for a conditional 6th rd pick
And you have an already old defense just getting older

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

You know we're allowed to disagree on what we think the Bears should offer the Texans or what we think it would take or what we think is too much. Even though i've said whatever it takes to get him there are still trade packages we can send them that i wouldn't be happy with, but i damn sure would be happy to have D.Watson as our franchise QB. I wasn't happy with what we gave to get K.Mack but was still happy we had K.Mack on our team. If we gave up the kind of package you suggested then i would have to see how Pace fills out the needs we would create and the needs we already have now before i could say just how happy i am with the job Pace does with the trade and after it.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im not really following the QB click harvesting operation anymore, tbh. They wont go in to the season with Foles as the guaranteed starter. Something will happen but it's the Bears so it will probably end in disaster.

Have they re-signed the kicker yet?