Rumor: Bears have massive offer on table for Watson

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We
We were 8-8 with Trubisky and Foles so i think a decent QB could get us 10 wins.
could have been 10 and 6 with them this year. But look at the teams we beat? Outside of the bucs and a hard fought loss to the Saints, the bears didn't look good against winning teams this year. The teams we have to play outside of our own division and going to be harder. Afc north is better than the south. Rams with a better qb. Afc. West has 4 solid teams where the south only had the bucs and Saints. This is kind of like 18 and 19 where 19 had the tougher set of teams and the bears. I'm not saying your wrong, but no matter how much better this team gets, you have a tougher hill to get to 8 wins let alone ten this year. At least right now on paper.

mecha

Liked Posts:
We

could have been 10 and 6 with them this year. But look at the teams we beat? Outside of the bucs and a hard fought loss to the Saints, the bears didn't look good against winning teams this year. The teams we have to play outside of our own division and going to be harder. Afc north is better than the south. Rams with a better qb. Afc. West has 4 solid teams where the south only had the bucs and Saints. This is kind of like 18 and 19 where 19 had the tougher set of teams and the bears. I'm not saying your wrong, but no matter how much better this team gets, you have a tougher hill to get to 8 wins let alone ten this year. At least right now on paper.

you see the bolded part? you all have been saying this for the last 9 years. predictions the Bears finish 2-14 level shit, which they came close in 2016 but that was for a different set of circumstances entirely (the team wasn't made to win then).

what really happens is a mechanism called parity. divisions will be dominant one year and garbage the next. weaker teams become strong. in case you didn't notice the Browns and Bills are contenders as of this most recent postseason. that solidifies my argument. thanks.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Just to recap (and to puke)

In 2017 Pace could have:

picked watson @ #3

In 2021 this offer suggests that to get Watson 4 years later pace would have given up

2017 #1
2017 #3
2017 #4
2018 #3
2021 #1
2021 #2
2022 #1
2022 #2
2023 #1
Roquan Smith (2018 #1 pick)
Jayln Johnson (2020 #2 pick)

Oh....and he missed out on 4 years of a rookie qb deal (while having a young and aggressive d at the time) and is inheriting his 160 mil contract

#collaborating

Imabearsfan

Liked Posts:

In 2017 Pace could have:

picked watson @ #3

In 2021 this offer suggests that to get Watson 4 years later pace would have given up

2017 #1
2017 #3
2017 #4
2018 #3
2021 #1
2021 #2
2022 #1
2022 #2
2023 #1

Oh....and he missed out on 4 years of a rookie qb deal (while having a young and aggressive d at the time) and is inheriting his 160 mil contract

#collaborating

What other profession can you do that and still have a job? Imabearsfan doesn’t think there are many.

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
Sorry if I'm not as ecstatic about getting Watson if it means 3 1st rounders, 2 2nd rounders and a few of our starters. I have nothing against Watson, but we need to be realistic here..... Nagy is still calling plays!

You can get anyone you want, but a young guy like Watson will not being much NFL experience if we're looking for a guy that's gonna affect the play calling. I just don't see that happening, and if the suggested things we will have to give up (crazy draft picks and starters) are true, that could be a disaster if the team sucks again and Nagy is out. Watson needs consistency to succeed, just like any other young QB.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

In 2017 Pace could have:

picked watson @ #3

2017 #1
2017 #3
2017 #4
2018 #3
2021 #1
2021 #2
2022 #1
2022 #2
2023 #1

#collaborating
I mentioned that pick scenario earlier but it's even worse. He could of traded down for Watson in 2017 and added some picks instead of giving them away for the move up. Instead of all that, we could of had Watson plus what could have been the equivalent of a 2nd round pick.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
If this gigantic deal happened Pace would look like the stupidest man in the world when he could have drafted him in the first place. I take my hat off to him for being at least willing to do that if he is! He could go one step further and change his name to Ryan Fleeced-Pace, double barrelled sounds cool right?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't see it. The organization inexplicably passes on Watson in 2017, but now is going to give up multiple 1sts, 2nds, and our young defensive talent in order to magnify their egregious fuck-up 4 years ago? They would rightfully get skewered by the media for a decade, and they don't need any more bad press.

I'd believe this news with Wilson, not Watson.
Exactly the opposite of that. The fact that they made the mistake four years ago should not be a factor In their decision making now.

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
Listening to the tape never lies while I’m working hard from home....they played a clip of dan sileo saying the bears have a herschel walker type trade package for deshaun watson.

Offseason fun

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Something I think people haven’t really considered is, maybe the Dolphins and Jets aren’t willing to mortgage the farm for Deshaun Watson. Maybe Miami doesn’t want to give up the #4 pick and/or Tua. Maybe New York doesn’t want to give up the #2 pick and is happy to deal Darnold separately.

Everybody’s just kind of been assuming that these top-of-the-draft teams would be willing to give up a shit-ton, including their top picks, when maybe that’s simply not true, at least in comparison to what the Bears would be willing to give up.

Considering you’re only allowed to give up a couple of first round picks, with an additional allowed on draft night, doesn’t it make sense that this deal—whether it’s the Bears or someone else—is going down April 29?

Nope been saying this from the start.

Jets GM already sounding like trading for a big name QB is off the table.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So Watson goes from a team that left his cupboard bare to basically the same situation in Chicago with no 1rst rd pics for 3 years and 2nds for 2 years and shit Oline? We basically will just be a shitty team with what we`ve always wanted an elite QB. He`ll put up numbers but is likely not winning shit which is basically what hes doing in Houston already.

We became a playoff team despite blowing 3 of 4 top 10 picks. We will have 100m in cap space in 2022. Whether we are good will be based on Pace hitting on mid to late rounderd and free agents. Both things he has been better at than drafting in the first round.

Also see Rams re competing without first round picks. Hell see the Pats. BB's first rounders have sucked donkey balls but a franchise QB covers that up.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
When i say that, i actually mean it. One of many posts of yours where i stopped before you even got to your point. Keep up the great work.

No you don't

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
How many times have we seen teams helmed by a Tom Brady or an Aaron Rodgers in the past that were competitive and one playoff games despite having no real talent on offense that scares anybody other than the quarterback?

Hell see the Pats. BB's first rounders have sucked donkey balls but a franchise QB covers that up.
People need to stop referencing Tom Brady as an example of what a franchise QB can do. That's like saying Michael Jordan is an example of what a great 2 guard can do or Mariano Rivera is an example of what a good closer can do.

Watson has proven at this point to be nothing more than a younger Matt Stafford, big stats, no big results. He is no more Tom Brady than Zach Lavine is Jordan or Craig Kimbrel is Rivera.

And to this point his results have proven just the opposite, that he can't "having no real talent" or "donkey ball sucking" players around him and succeed.

Last edited:

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
People need to stop referencing Tom Brady as an example of what a franchise QB can do. That's like saying Michael Jordan is an example of what a great 2 guard can do or Mariano Rivera is an example of what a good closer can do.

Watson has proven at this point to be nothing more than a younger Matt Stafford, big stats, no big results. He is no more Tom Brady than Zach Lavine is Jordan or Craig Kimbrel is Rivera.

And to this point his results have proven just the opposite, that he can't "having no real talent" or "donkey ball sucking" players around him and succeed.

Sure, how about instead we bring up the bulk of the careers of Eli Manning, Ben roethlisberger, Phillip Rivers, Russell Wilson no really I can go on and on and on.

Because the point is whatever you personally think about Watson, he is a better quarterback than anything we have seen on the Bears in our lifetime including the great Jay Cutler who ended up being an average quarterback statistically, and yet records wise is the best quarterback in Bears history.

DeShaun Watson is better than that, and would be someone a team who is smart can build around.

Anyone who has watched Houston knows that team is not smart. And I know Bears fans would argue that neither are the Bears.

But I would rather take the chance then not because at least if you take the chance, you are trying for the damn quarterback.

You know, instead of being a pussy and never actually trying because you're afraid they get the wrong guy, and therefore just want the Bears to spend on defense...

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

In 2017 Pace could have:

picked watson @ #3

2017 #1
2017 #3
2017 #4
2018 #3
2021 #1
2021 #2
2022 #1
2022 #2
2023 #1

#collaborating

Look no argument for me. Pace should have been fired this past season. But he isn't.

If he wants to break the bank for a quarterback, he should.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Sure, how about instead we bring up the bulk of the careers of Eli Manning, Ben roethlisberger, Phillip Rivers, Russell Wilson no really I can go on and on and on.

Because the point is whatever you personally think about Watson, he is a better quarterback than anything we have seen on the Bears in our lifetime including the great Jay Cutler who ended up being an average quarterback statistically, and yet records wise is the best quarterback in Bears history.

DeShaun Watson is better than that, and would be someone a team who is smart can build around.

Anyone who has watched Houston knows that team is not smart. And I know Bears fans would argue that neither are the Bears.

But I would rather take the chance then not because at least if you take the chance, you are trying for the damn quarterback.

You know, instead of being a pussy and never actually trying because you're afraid they get the wrong guy, and therefore just want the Bears to spend on defense...
Every example you have given either had great talent on offense or won largely due to a league best or near that defense. With the proposed trade cost in players and picks the Bears will have neither for years.
And as for your examples:
Fucking Eli Manning won a SB in a season in which he had a passer rating of 73.9, 25th in the league, and threw 20 INT's.

Phillip Rivers has won what exactly?

Russel Wilson is 3-5 in playoffs and hasn't been able to get back to even the NFC Championship game without the league #1 ranked defense since 2014.

The only modern QB's to win with marginal talent are Brady, though he won with marginal talent and great coaching, and Rodgers,who has has only been able to do it once in 13 years as a starter. And once again, citing either of those as to what a franchise QB like Watson could do with the Bears roster and Nagy is preposterous.

Last edited: