Rumor: Bears have massive offer on table for Watson

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I like how the Bears' desperation is somehow framed as a positive thing.

Like other teams are just going to want to give us their franchise QB or flip us a top 5 pick because we really need a QB.

1. The Bears cannot offer the most.

2. The Texans are not trading him.

Your post seems to completely miss the point. The point about the Bears being desperate is the fact that because other teams aren't they are unlikely to offer the most even though they could.

If Watson continues to want out of Houston, he will be traded because NFL teams will not tank a season by having a disgruntled QB play as QB is too important for there to be conflict between QB and Coaches and Management.

I have a Husky. Imagine a dog sled race with the humans as Coaches and Management, Watson as lead dog and the rest of the players as the other dogs. It doesn't matter if the humans and the non lead dogs are on the same page. If the lead dog goes left when you are commanding everyone to go right, you are fucked regardless of your desire to keep the lead dog. You can't be successful if the lead dog is unwilling to follow your instruction. And so it goes with QB. Your QB controls too much of what happens on the field for it to be sustainable if that QB is in conflict with Coaches and Management.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Meteorologist.
0cd78d8913046a629720592a8c8fd467_w200.gif

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I like how the Bears' desperation is somehow framed as a positive thing.

Like other teams are just going to want to give us their franchise QB or flip us a top 5 pick because we really need a QB.

1. The Bears cannot offer the most.

2. The Texans are not trading him.

Just because the Bears can't offer the most doesn't mean they won't offer the most.

How do you know what the Dolphins, Jets and others are willing to give up? Maybe they don't want to give up their QBs and high draft picks. Maybe they'd rather take their chances with some hotshot young QBs on rookie contracts. We don't know yet.

How do you know Watson's not getting traded? He could be completely serious about not playing another down for this team and willing to sit games. Once he starts sitting games, it's probably over. Yes, he'd be losing money. But the Texans would be sitting on a golden calf that's rapidly losing value at that point. Why would they let it get to that point, when their potential trade partners would've already moved on with their own QB plans? I'm not saying he's definitely getting traded, but to blanket say that he's not getting traded ignores a lot of potential reasons it actually could happen.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
How do you know Watson's not getting traded? He could be completely serious about not playing another down for this team and willing to sit games. Once he starts sitting games, it's probably over. Yes, he'd be losing money. But the Texans would be sitting on a golden calf that's rapidly losing value at that point. Why would they let it get to that point, when their potential trade partners would've already moved on with their own QB plans? I'm not saying he's definitely getting traded, but to blanket say that he's not getting traded ignores a lot of potential reasons it actually could happen.

I feel like when teams call a player's bluff, they're doing a disservice to themselves. I have no issues with the team doing what they can to work things out with a guy and turn him around, but if he's willing to sit out games, just get rid of him. At that point, he's not going to play for you again. Get what you can get, and wash your hands of that bullshit.

The Texans are going to need to rebuild. I'm sure they want to do it with Deshaun Watson, but if he's out, do it with another QB, and some extra draft picks and defensive players.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
You guys watch, we're going to end up with Alex Smith (which isn't necessarily a bad thing 5 years and one leg ago).. honestly think he's still a pretty good quarterback but with coo-coo-ca-choo blocking his blind side. I have zero faith in the front office to get any of this right. I am dreading draft day.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
That’s pretty common for rich and famous and people like me and Kay. We have people that will scoop it out for us
I am 100% jealous you have a pooper scooper person. I need to get me one of those.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Your post seems to completely miss the point. The point about the Bears being desperate is the fact that because other teams aren't they are unlikely to offer the most even though they could.

If Watson continues to want out of Houston, he will be traded because NFL teams will not tank a season by having a disgruntled QB play as QB is too important for there to be conflict between QB and Coaches and Management.

I have a Husky. Imagine a dog sled race with the humans as Coaches and Management, Watson as lead dog and the rest of the players as the other dogs. It doesn't matter if the humans and the non lead dogs are on the same page. If the lead dog goes left when you are commanding everyone to go right, you are fucked regardless of your desire to keep the lead dog. You can't be successful if the lead dog is unwilling to follow your instruction. And so it goes with QB. Your QB controls too much of what happens on the field for it to be sustainable if that QB is in conflict with Coaches and Management.
Not sure that's a good analogy, Rem... because we're talking about Watson sitting out the year on the bench. He isn't going to leading anything. So he isn't going to have any more effect on the team than Bell was when he sat on the bench.

Your first point was spot on. If the Texans believe Watson will actually sit out the year, I believe they will trade him. It's also not impossible they're willing to bite that bullet (let him sit).

DrGonzo

Dump VJJ
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Pace somehow pulls this off he will be considered a hero despite being equivalent to a guy who, after losing huge in Vegas, takes out a second mortgage on his family's house and goes right back to the tables.

Sure having Wilson or Watson will make the Bears more fun to watch on Sundays and is guaranteed to be worth more than signing Mack was. But the cost - on top of already being in cap/draft hell - means they won't sniff a championship for another decade at least.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If Pace somehow pulls this off he will be considered a hero despite being equivalent to a guy who, after losing huge in Vegas, takes out a second mortgage on his family's house and goes right back to the tables.

Sure having Wilson or Watson will make the Bears more fun to watch on Sundays and is guaranteed to be worth more than signing Mack was. But the cost - on top of already being in cap/draft hell - means they won't sniff a championship for another decade at least.
:brady:

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
The Jets and Miami have other options. Maybe they don't want to try and be the first team to win a Super Bowl paying their QB over 35 million a year. Maybe they want a rookie QB contract and all those picks to put a team together to try and win. Soon KC will have to start to pay Mahomes. The Bears are desperate, but not sure we can field a SB winning team paying the QB 40 Mill a year. But it might be fun to watch.