Run on WRs picks 22-30..

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Left tackle, edge rusher, guard, center and cornerback are bigger needs. If the Bears are worried about their passing game sucking they should fix the offensive line and perhaps look into drafting a quarterback who doesn't look like Josh Rosen before they go overdrafting wide receivers in a weak draft.
I'm still supporting Fields' development, but you're right about the o-line.

Seems like every year posters bitch about the o-line, but come draft time, they want a flashy wr.

The common denominator with this team and when the offense sucks bad is a terrible o-line. Even if your WRs aren't great, and you have a good line, you can still run.

Some CSS posters are hoping for J'marr Chase when we take the 9th best WR off the board instead of the 2nd best C or G.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Some CSS posters are hoping for J'marr Chase when we take the 9th best WR off the board instead of the 2nd best C or G.
It does seem like its hard to go wrong on an interior lineman in the 2nd round.

There are 9 OL prospects that grade out above a 6.3 in this draft, 5 WR prospects, 6 CBs and 12 DE's.

The DE depth is very strong this draft.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
In the thread that asks what position gets taken with our first pick, I went with DT. Poles showed us how much he values the position by his deal for Ogunjobi and then it fell through. Our pick falls right around where Winfrey and Leal figure to be taken. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Poles scoop up one of those guys and then maybe look to address WR with a guy like Metchie, maybe even an OL spot if there's a guy he's in love with there. A deep WR class is still deep even if there's a run a dozen picks before ours or so.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Left tackle, edge rusher, guard, center and cornerback are bigger needs. If the Bears are worried about their passing game sucking they should fix the offensive line and perhaps look into drafting a quarterback who doesn't look like Josh Rosen before they go overdrafting wide receivers in a weak draft.

Says the guy who was clamoring to keep Pace and Nagy

Shut up

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If there is a run on a position that means first round talent drops into the second round

First round talent doesn’t “drop”. First round talent gets….. wait for it…. Drafted in the first round.

Tevin Jenkins wasn’t a first round talent that fell….. he’s a second round player.

I see this shit every year and it drives me crazy: just because some guy on Twitter or a draft site thinks a player is a first round talent doesn’t mean shit. They’re only a first round player if they actually ….. wait for it….. get drafted in the first round!

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
It does seem like its hard to go wrong on an interior lineman in the 2nd round.

There are 9 OL prospects that grade out above a 6.3 in this draft, 5 WR prospects, 6 CBs and 12 DE's.

The DE depth is very strong this draft.
Awesome. I'm down with DE, but if one of those CBs slides to us even better. We basically don't have a CB opposite of Jaylon Johnson.

Some of the guys clamoring for a wr were also VERY high on Mooney this time last year. Also, I've watched a few Chiefs games - and I might have been watching a career game by Pringle - but I suspect he's better than his statistics because he's buried behind Hunt & Kelce.

Why would we draft WR with our first pick when we don't even have a starting CB? I think CB might be the first pick if a good one is still available.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
First round talent doesn’t “drop”. First round talent gets….. wait for it…. Drafted in the first round.

Tevin Jenkins wasn’t a first round talent that fell….. he’s a second round player.

I see this shit every year and it drives me crazy: just because some guy on Twitter or a draft site thinks a player is a first round talent doesn’t mean shit. They’re only a first round player if they actually ….. wait for it….. get drafted in the first round!
Yes and no. My understanding is that scouting departments will have their own opinions which might equal up to a round they'd be willing to select a guy in. If there's a guy they love and thus would be willing to spend a first round pick on (but don't actually have one to spend), that's where the idea comes from. So yea, he's not "actually" a first-round pick but he's a talent having been deemed worthy of being one (by at least one team anyway).

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
We have Mooney, Kmet, Pringle, and Monty outta the backfield. And freaking Jesper Horsted. It's not like Fields doesn't have targets.

And don't forget that gem - Dazz Newsome!

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Why would we draft WR with our first pick when we don't even have a starting CB? I think CB might be the first pick if a good one is still available.
There's a school of thought that doesn't value CB as highly for this heavy zone defense, and it makes some sense. The big name corners are generally such because they can lock guys down in man-to-man. But if the D isn't asking a guy to do that and just patrol a certain part of the field really well, you might be able to find a guy who can do a good job of that in the 3rd round and beyond.

Nathan Vasher had a nice little run for the Bears and he was a 4th round pick, just as one example.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We're 3 deep at DE with Quinn, Muhammad, and Gipson who produced 31.5 sacks last year. We signed a starting C in free agency and have 2-3 others guys who can play the position. I'm not sure why anyone would consider those positions a need given the other holes on our roster.

LT / swing tackle yes. RG yes. CB and SS yes. And WR is definitely a top 3 need.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I think the Bears could definitely use wr help on the outside. Having said that if the best players available in rd 2 are at another position I am taking them. Good teams draft the best players available and don't reach for a need. I'm pretty confident they'll grab a solid wr at some point.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's a school of thought that doesn't value CB as highly for this heavy zone defense, and it makes some sense. The big name corners are generally such because they can lock guys down in man-to-man. But if the D isn't asking a guy to do that and just patrol a certain part of the field really well, you might be able to find a guy who can do a good job of that in the 3rd round and beyond.

Nathan Vasher had a nice little run for the Bears and he was a 4th round pick, just as one example.
May very well be true. We'll see.

I don't really look closely at things until after the draft because I cannot dictate what the Bears do.

I take a closer look after the draft and bitch about the picks then. ?

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I think the Bears could definitely use wr help on the outside. Having said that if the best players available in rd 2 are at another position I am taking them. Good teams draft the best players available and don't reach for a need. I'm pretty confident they'll grab a solid wr at some point.
Also look beyond this coming year as well. If you draft good players at any position, then next year, those guys become the reason that you don't have to draft for need at that position. So I take a linebacker with my 3rd round pick this year because I love the guy and think he can be a staple of my defense for the next 5 years. Linebacker isn't a big "need" right now, but next year when it might be otherwise (Morrow not under contract), it no longer is because I drafted the guy I loved (and was right) instead of drafting a guy I didn't love to fill a hole I have right now.

Poles hasn't been left with a whole lot to fill those spots out over the long-term, so he could take pretty much any position other than QB and RB and be justified in doing so.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Also look beyond this coming year as well. If you draft good players at any position, then next year, those guys become the reason that you don't have to draft for need at that position. So I take a linebacker with my 3rd round pick this year because I love the guy and think he can be a staple of my defense for the next 5 years. Linebacker isn't a big "need" right now, but next year when it might be otherwise (Morrow not under contract), it no longer is because I drafted the guy I liked (and was right) instead of drafting a guy I didn't love to fill a hole I have right now.

Poles hasn't been left with a whole lot to fill those spots out over the long-term, so he could take pretty much any position other than QB and RB and be justified in doing so.
Yeah he's in a position to draft BPA not because the team is good but because of the absolute shit roster left to him lol. But if he does draft bpa it could help a lot in building going forward like you mentioned

Speed

Liked Posts:
You could sell me on other players for those 2nd round picks(Namely Oline). It's about hitting on the draft picks at the end of the day, more than the 'where' they were picked. Still going in with Mooney and who the fuck knows on the other side of the field (Pringle?) is a tough sell for me if they want Fields to take off. Yeah I know QB should elevate the team, offensive coordinator should be scheming the guy's open so there isn't a defender within 10 yards blah, blah, etc.... But it's hard to get hard (pause) for that receiver room.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah he's in a position to draft BPA not because the team is good but because of the absolute shit roster left to him lol. But if he does draft bpa it could help a lot in building going forward like you mentioned
And just think, you argued with me last year about wasting draft picks and the overall depth of the team.

?

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
You stick with that point. Just because there are other big needs doesn't take away from wr in fact is a big need.
They need a Z and depth. Mooney is your X (and Z) and Pringle is your slot. The draft isn’t the last shot to get a Z, because waves of post draft, summer, and camp cuts are still going to give options that OL and 3 tech won’t get.

‘Wr is in fact a big need’ is a little dramatic. It’s 4th after 3 tech, OL, and cb2.